Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Nutrition Alternative
Quote | Reply
Hello, up until this past weekend I have never done a race longer than Olympic distance so I have never had to deal with nutrition before. This past weekend I did an Xterra on Saturday and a local "long course" on Sunday (1.5k/60k/15k). Since the races were going to take me around 2.5 and 3.5 hours I figured I better take in some calories on the bike. On Saturday I took a gel, and Sunday I ate a cliff bar. They seemed to work as I never felt low on energy, the only problem was I found them both absolutely awful to eat!
Since I was little I've hated anything sweet (fruit, candy, soda, desert, etc). It seems every nutritional product available has some sort of flavouring in which I know I will hate.
I am doing Ironman Mont Tremblant in August and know I need to figure emerging out before then.
Does anybody else have this problem or know of any products/solutions/home-made recipes that are better than the stuff you can get at REI?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition Alternative [Rahm255] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Hammer Nutrition Perpetum. It's like 230 calories per serving and includes the correct amount of fat, protein and carbohydrates along with amino acids and electrolytes and is vegan so it's easy to digest. It's basically a meal replacement. Tastes like milk.. not sweet at all. I am doing IM Mont Tremblant I will be drinking this and supplementing it with Larabars on the bike and gels in the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tailwind Nutrition (kind of like a Gatorade substitute) has been said to have very mild flavor. I don't use it myself but have heard good things from friends.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many folks use something called Carbo Pro. I think it's tasteless so you can mix it in water or something flavored that you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the folks at Infinit Nutrition a call or email and they can make a custom mix specifically for your needs. With Infinit you don't need anything else (food, salt tabs, etc.). If it's hot you just supplement with extra water. I've successfully used their custom mixes for IMs, 12 hour solo MTB, XTERRA Epics, etc. all the way down to shorter events. I hate sweet stuff too and fortunately they can control the amount/intensity of flavor. I have mine set almost down to zero.

I am biased I suppose as I do race for Team Infinit; discount code below.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several good suggestions (I prefer carbo pro) HOWEVER the most important part of long course nutrition is practicing it at speed and duration. Quite frankly, unless you get *lucky* you are WAAAAY behind the curve for an August race. I'm getting ready for my 26th IM and have been practicing and dialing in my pre-race and race nutrition every weekend since early Spring. Nutrition, just like all other aspects of training, needs to be well dialed and well rehearsed, and and then race day will go according to "plan and execution" as opposed to "chance" of the day.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition Alternative [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Tailwind Nutrition (kind of like a Gatorade substitute) has been said to have very mild flavor. I don't use it myself but have heard good things from friends.

I use Tailwind and have been happy with it. Gives you a slightly salty taste but not over powering. I'm a pretty big guy with a stomach that does not handle much of anything and plan on trying to do all of IM Boulder on strictly Tailwind. It has worked well on my 2:45 minute run and my 5 hour bike. I do get some hunger pangs but in general it is not bad. I aim for 300 kcal/hour on the bike and 150 an hour running. I have noticed after 2 hours running I do need to drink some plain water also.
Quote Reply