Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possibly more Aero - bringing the rear inwards.

Prefer the wireless idea as I have a plasma 3 with mechanical routing which rules out di2. However I do worry the size of the mechs with the batteries and the blip box will make the etape less Aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Shame on Shimano for not respecting TrainingPeaks' trademarks.

They don't make a head unit or training software - it just broadcasts power like any other power meter. So basically, they just gave TrainingPeaks free PR/promotion.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

They don't make a head unit or training software - it just broadcasts power like any other power meter. So basically, they just gave TrainingPeaks free PR/promotion.

It'd be much better free PR/promotion if they put the little "R" symbol and made the terms hyperlinks to TrainingPeaks. That would have been a nice courtesy.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

It'd be much better free PR/promotion if they put the little "R" symbol and made the terms hyperlinks to TrainingPeaks. That would have been a nice courtesy.

That's why it's called "free PR"...they didn't get the links. ;)

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Shame on Shimano for not respecting TrainingPeaks' trademarks.

Except that you have to not only already be aware that those terms are trademarked, you would have to know to whom the trademarks belong. Sans the legally-required acknowledgement, the webpage makes it appear that Shimano deserves credit for the terms .

Of course, Shimano isn't the only one to plays such games. For example, look at how Strava skirts the issue by just inventing new terms for things to avoid acknowledging TP's trademarks, thus falsely claiming credit for certain ideas and adding to the confusion.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

More than a courtesy: a legal requirement.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

If everyone had courtesy we wouldn't need legal requirements. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merely mentioning a term doesn't mean you have to put the trademark symbol on it, you know that. There's zero legal requirement for any company (even the holder) to display the symbol. It is considered good legal practice for a holder to display it at least once per document/page, but legally not actually required to display it in every instance.

But you're confusing what Strava does with what Shimano is doing. Strava is displaying a metric and calling it X (as opposed to a TrainingPeaks branded metric). I agree that if those metrics exactly match, then that's shades of grey.

But Shimano isn't displaying anything. They don't have any software that displays anything, nor even any hardware that displays anything. They're merely mentioning that you could use such metrics, but you'd still need to go out and buy some device/platform/whatever that displays those. Of which they make none (you do however).

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

That's factually incorrect. It's not a legal requirement for any 3rd party to display any variant of the symbol.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

That's factually incorrect. It's not a legal requirement for any 3rd party to display any variant of the symbol.

That depends on whether or not you want to be sued for trademark infringement or dilution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

That depends on whether or not you want to be sued for trademark infringement or dilution.

You forgot to mention your legal expertise in your signature.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [heliotropic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliotropic wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

They are his (trainingpeaks?) terms, he can sue if he wants.

Things I did not expect to see today: Ray and Dr. Coggan duking it out over the (R) symbol...

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been contemplating buying WKO for awhile, now not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:
heliotropic wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Things I did not expect to see today: Ray and Dr. Coggan duking it out over the (R) symbol...

In practical terms, surely it depends if he can find a lawyer who'd take that case...

IDK, it just seems weird to make vague legal threats on the internet.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:
heliotropic wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

TrainingPeaks - of which I am not, and never have been, a part - owns the trademarks. It would therefore be up to them to defend them (I know that they have done so in the past).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heliotropic wrote:
P90Puma wrote:
heliotropic wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

In practical terms, surely it depends if he can find a lawyer who'd take that case...

IDK, it just seems weird to make vague legal threats on the internet.

You are misinterpreting my comments. I don't own the trademarks, and therefore have no standing to sue. My point to Ray was simply that properly acknowledging someone else's trademark reduces the chances that you will be sued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odd to see someone so accomplished so thin-skinned.

Love seeing the rare, but delicious DCrainmaker smackdown.

Extra special seeing it served to someone so obnoxiously self-obsessed.

Unrelated: I invited the question mark.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

As a scientist, my stock-in-trade is ideas. Misattribution and/or misappropriation of intellectual property rights therefore bugs me just as much as miscitation of the literature. Call it my pet peeve if you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

As a scientist, my stock-in-trade is ideas. Misattribution and/or misappropriation of intellectual property rights therefore bugs me just as much as miscitation of the literature. Call it my pet peeve if you like.

Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sloth wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano R9100 Dura Ace release day is today! [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did not properly site Cyanide and Happiness for this...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next