Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TACX Neo Bike Compatability and New Model
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight or further the discussion on this. But before I begin, the quick background is that I have a Quintana Roo PR6, and I'm in the market for a trainer. The TACX Neo is on the short list I have.

I contacted (e-mail) TACX about the compatibility of certain bikes and the trainer because I read that some bikes may not be compatible - IIRC something to do with clearance between the bike seat stay and trainer.

Their response was/is: "We have changed the model of the NEO so that it will fit triathlon bikes. So we advise to wait a couple of months before purchasing it... The new models are not in and it will take some time before they come to the US (this new season they will be for sure, but that will be like September).

So I suppose what I'm looking for is:
-Does anyone know anything about this and can share any info, such as what are the new differences?
-Can anyone confirm if the current model and my bike is compatible or share what bike you're using to see if it's something I can guess if my bike would be compatible.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: TACX Neo Bike Compatability and New Model [void main()] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
-Does anyone know anything about this and can share any info, such as what are the new differences?
-Rant On
Typical. Everyone rushed out an bought the Neo and now sounds like Tacx have already decided to push out a new version to address the short comings of V1 in time for Eurbike/Interbike/Trainer Season!
-Ran Off

So, short answer, if DCRainmaker has not posted anything about a new Neo, then you are out of luck as the only one's who know anything besides Tacx are the BETA testers who signed NDA's and cannot comment one way or the other.

Quote:
-Can anyone confirm if the current model and my bike is compatible
Best I can offer is to suggest you visit the Tacx Neo webpage and download the applicable axle template and print out a copy and which you can use as a guide on your QR to get a good idea of whether or not it will fit the current version of the Neo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: TACX Neo Bike Compatability and New Model [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time and with the quick response.

As to your rant, yeah. I had a very similar sentiment when i received the information.

Good point about the NDA.

And thank you for the link. I feel embarrassed that I missed that earlier. Just printed them out and will test once I get a chance. Do you know if the test will account for the rear brake and curved seat stay?
Last edited by: void main(): Jun 28, 16 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current NEO fits both my '14 Canyon Speedmax and my '16 Speedmax SLX just fine. I'm not sure what they changed, but it doesn't seem to have any trouble for the bikes I've tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
void main() wrote:
Do you know if the test will account for the rear brake and curved seat stay?

Based on an image search, like our Scott Solace road frames, your QR frameset has an under/behind the bottom bracket style brake setup. The caliper should clear the lead edge of the Neo's plastic cover by a good 3-4 inches, but internal width of the asymmetric chain stays are what may be the problem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the template wasn't all that useful in judging whether a bike will fit or not. The template suggested my Speed Concept would fit okay, but the corner of the casing impacts the underside of the chainstay, so I had to remove quite a lot of plastic from the casing in that area until I could slide a piece of paper in between the two with the bike fitted to it. You could also solve the problem by having the front wheel raised up a little higher, I wanted to have the bike perfectly level. Bottom line is if you're willing to modify the casing, you've more chance of being able to make the bike fit on it, but it's best if you can try your bike on one first, and be sure to get the bike level and check you can slide a piece of paper in between every place where the frame and casing are close to each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's simply a change to the outer plastic shell to increase frame compatibility. That's all.

I've got some pictures around on a hard drive of it somewhere. There's nothing else to it besides that. When I visited them earlier this month they had a few on hand as they validated production automation aspects. All previous (minor) changes have been made to the Neo over the course of the year, virtually all around solving production teething issues (i.e. metal trimmings, etc...).

As for telling the difference apart, it's funny you mentioned that. I had the exact same question. My suggestion, if they weren't going to make a minor SKU difference, was simply placing some sort of sticker on the exterior so a company would know which variant they had. Even a silly Staples 1cm wide blue sticker (also my suggestion). In fact, that's exactly what Scosche did when they made a very minor factor-required firmware update a year or two back for compatibility issues. Made it super easy for retailers to know which models were which.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
void main() wrote:
I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight or further the discussion on this. But before I begin, the quick background is that I have a Quintana Roo PR6, and I'm in the market for a trainer. The TACX Neo is on the short list I have.

Hi - Just curious what trainer you ultimately went with. I have a 2017 QR PR5 and similarly was interested in a tacx neo but based on a few vague findings it seems like there my be compatibility issues with the bike frame and the unit (although sources are somewhat unclear as to what the issue is and if the latest W2017 model of the trainer has fixed it). In lieu of learning the hard way, perhaps you have some advice on your final purchase you could share? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TACX Neo Bike Compatability and New Model [limorelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I don’t think there’s that much of a difference between the pr5 and pr6, but I’m no expert.

I got the tacx neo and have been using it for over a year now (1x a week; I live in Carlsbad/San Diego so I don’t need to be on it all the time). No issues with the compatibility at all. Hope this helps? If you’re looking for anything for specific, let me know!
Quote Reply