Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My house is 90m t9 a storm drain... not swimming in there ;)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
it isn't an "advantage" as far as training goes, a quick turn gets you back to swimming quicker. You don't have turns in the ocean either, but the quicker you can make the turns, the closer it is to open water conditions.
Dunno what college you went to, but most places will have at least a couple of groups e.g. sprint group, mid distance/distance, IM / stroke, etc. depending on their squad. Everyone does a bit of everything, usually, for stroke development and injury prevention, and occasionally someone is a late bloomer in a stroke.
But that's kinda beside the point. A long easy float isn't really the best way to develop your capacity as a freestyle swimmer.

I see your point with the turns. As for the swim team - I didnt know who specialized in what. I had flying through the air to worry about. It just seemed jumbled to me.
but OK - perfect the long easy float. That was what I was getting at. I can do the long easy distance. Now WHEN should I up the speed and HOW. Should I get to a long easy float of 2 miles (.8 more than the 70.3 swim) and then start doing 100m or 200m intervals? OR do a swim of 1.2 at 40min, then next one try to hit 39, next one try to hit 38, etc and just dwiddle my time down.
I am not trolling haha I was curious so I am asking. Jason is helping (albeit thinking I am a moron the entire time - which is fine with me lol)

Instead of 1.2 mi (2100 yd) straight in 38-40 min, try something like:

500 free warm-up (about 9:30-ish, then rest :30 to 10:00)
10 x 100 on 2:10, trying to go as fast as possible (AFAP), just flat out. (22:00)
200 free cool-down (4:00)
Total Time = 36 min
Repeat 5 times per week = 5*36 = 180 min or 3 hrs/wk. Repeat for 20 weeks.

On your 10 x 100 set, I say go "flat out" b/c you prob will not be able to go a huge amount faster than your circa 1:50/100 yd pace of your 39 min 1.2 mi swim; you'll prob go 1:35-ish on repeat 1 and fade from there to 1:45 or even 1:50. If you keep doing the 10 x 100 and keep trying to go just AFAP, you can prob drop from averaging 1:40-something for your first try down to 1:20 within say 5 months. A retest of your 2100 yd swim would then prob show you to be around 20 sec per 100 faster, or around 1:30/100 yd or 31:30 for 2100 yd, or about 7.5 min faster than before. Good pay-off for 3 hr/wk IMO. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm in the pool at 5am during the week. I start off with a 500yd straight warmup. I can't recall the last time I got to 200yds without thinking "f*** this, I'm outta here". If the bagel shop opened before 6am, I'd have been outta there.[/quote]

And I thought it was just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
it isn't an "advantage" as far as training goes, a quick turn gets you back to swimming quicker. You don't have turns in the ocean either, but the quicker you can make the turns, the closer it is to open water conditions.
Dunno what college you went to, but most places will have at least a couple of groups e.g. sprint group, mid distance/distance, IM / stroke, etc. depending on their squad. Everyone does a bit of everything, usually, for stroke development and injury prevention, and occasionally someone is a late bloomer in a stroke.
But that's kinda beside the point. A long easy float isn't really the best way to develop your capacity as a freestyle swimmer.

I see your point with the turns. As for the swim team - I didnt know who specialized in what. I had flying through the air to worry about. It just seemed jumbled to me.
but OK - perfect the long easy float. That was what I was getting at. I can do the long easy distance. Now WHEN should I up the speed and HOW. Should I get to a long easy float of 2 miles (.8 more than the 70.3 swim) and then start doing 100m or 200m intervals? OR do a swim of 1.2 at 40min, then next one try to hit 39, next one try to hit 38, etc and just dwiddle my time down.
I am not trolling haha I was curious so I am asking. Jason is helping (albeit thinking I am a moron the entire time - which is fine with me lol)

10 x 100 on 2:10, trying to go as fast as possible (AFAP), just flat out. (22:00)
Total Time = 36 min

On your 10 x 100 set, I say go "flat out" b/c you prob will not be able to go a huge amount faster than your circa 1:50/100 yd pace of your 39 min 1.2 mi swim; you'll prob go 1:35-ish on repeat 1 and fade from there to 1:45 or even 1:50. If you keep doing the 10 x 100 and keep trying to go just AFAP, you can prob drop from averaging 1:40-something for your first try down to 1:20 within say 5 months. A retest of your 2100 yd swim would then prob show you to be around 20 sec per 100 faster, or around 1:30/100 yd or 31:30 for 2100 yd, or about 7.5 min faster than before. Good pay-off for 3 hr/wk IMO. :)

I'm copying this workout to my evernote list of workouts. Thanks. Now I just have to get my rotator cuff healed to be able to get back in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Total Time = 36 min

I'm copying this workout to my evernote list of workouts. Thanks. Now I just have to get my rotator cuff healed to be able to get back in the pool.

TT - You're welcome; it's a nice short workout to improve speed. If really pressed for time, just do 200 warm and 100 cool. Even if you only did this 3 times a week, i think most peeps would improve quite a bit. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next