Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should I expect to pay for carbon repair on my bike?
Quote | Reply
Bike fell over (while hooked into a repair stand) and the front wheel twisted and the brake lever jammed over the top tube, cracking the top of the top tube. Clear coat is cracked and the carbon is very squishy. Not cracked through the tube.

Been looking at replacement frames but $$$ is tight with 2 in college.

Just wondering if repairing (like Calfee) is a good option and what I should expect to pay for that kind of damage.

TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I expect to pay for carbon repair on my bike? [tmshokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a cracked seat stay on my BMC TM01 from some tw@t baggage handlers after Phuket classic and took my frame to this guys in singapore:

http://thereboundcentre1995.blogspot.my/

It turns out that loads of Australians go there too from Australia just to get their frame fixed. It cost me in total $650 singapore dollars and the standard was brilliant you would not know difference.

Defo worth it mate.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I expect to pay for carbon repair on my bike? [tmshokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did something similar a few years ago. fixing a flat on the side of the road and dropped the bike...top tube landed right on a rock. price depends on who does it, the location and extent of the damage, and how pretty you want it to look after it's fixed - i.e. if you want it repainted to look like it was before.

where are you located? i didn't want to ship out to calfee in CA, so at the suggestion of a local shop, i drove a few hours north to Drummond Cycles in NH (near Dartmouth and where I89/I91 cross). the owner, Dick Drummond, builds frames and does repairs. he was really nice and i've been happy with the repair, which is still going strong. i don't remember the exact cost, but i believe it might have been somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-300. i wasn't too concerned about how it looked, so i didn't have him do much with paint/aesthetics; just fix and clear-coat.

i think calfee would have been somewhat more expensive, plus the shipping cost, but you don't know for sure until they evaluate it.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I expect to pay for carbon repair on my bike? [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's in the ballpark of what I'm being told. It's local to VA so no shipping. Also going the bare carbon/clear coat route.

Saw videos on YouTube to DIY (and I'm dumb enough to try anything myself) but the thought of going down on a 35 mph descent because I run over a pot hole and the frame breaks gives me the shudders. ER copay is around $300 so I figure I'm preventing that.

At least that's how I justify it to my wife. :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look around locally... there always that one crazy old guy who fixes carbon from his garage.
I got similar damage as yours fixed for $160.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most professional places will give you an estimate based on pictures. I've used http://brokencarbon.com, they fixed a small top tube problem for $120.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't repair it yourself as it is a far more technical job than any DIY video would suggest. Its important to match the stiffness of the original frame when doing to repair. If you are heavy handed with your repair and over stiffen the region you will localize stress on the edges of the repair and cause the frame to fail. Obviously not stiffening the damaged region enough will also lead to a second failure. Getting this balance right is not an amateur job especially in the era of unidirectional weaves and multiple grades of carbons on frames. The cost of the repair has far more to do with the skill and time required to assess the damage and design the correct fix than it does with the cost of the raw materials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DIY, Its easy. I have repaired several bikes with broken high stress areas like seat stays and chain stays on CX bikes. Ebay has $30ish kits and youtube will get you going.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Last edited by: rockdude: Feb 2, 17 7:13
Quote Reply