Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 27 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 27 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week: at least one day off from running nope; get speedometer on bike nope; bike 3x (one done) twice, swim 3x (one done) done

I ran 7 times (=56.9 mi), with a 10 mile race on Saturday - I was 5th FOV, 1:16:45.
I swam 4x = 7900 yds.
I biked 2x for a total of 11 miles :P

goal this week:
at a conference today and tomorrow; run and swim both days (today done)
take Wed off from running
bike 3x
get bike computer on there!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing exciting. Only biked 3x, for a total of 110mi
Ran 6x, 38mi (rats, should have been 40)
Swam 2x, total of 4100m

Job I applied for, didn't hear anything, but that's completely not shocking since I was quite under qualified.

Talked to husband about my commute, and we both agree, just can't do it for the 10 years until we hope to retire (p.s. I'll be retiring quite young! yay! I've been saving since I started working). Got word from an inside friend that an opening might come up near the end of the year.

Otherwise, just surviving life and living the grind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm okaym thanks for getting us started tigerchik.

I'd planned to take a few days off from scheduled training after my 70.3 and start reincorporating some fun movement and activity by the weekend (yoga, trail run, rock climbing) and training again sometimes this week. Instead I've been a layabout dealing with a sciatic nerve issue on my right side.

I'd been achy and sore for two weeks, raced on an achy and sore body, and am paying the price with muscles that have become so inflamed [EDIT: mostly Piriformis] they are compressing the nerve. I have dealt with before and am trying to speed things along by icing, stretching, massaging, taking NSAIDs, and crossing my fingers. Going back to the doctor tomorrow.

Oh, I swam once.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Jun 27, 16 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 27 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the sciatica. Do you have a foam roller?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik, I do plus lacrosse balls, a foot roller, an orb, etc... I am a very committed to self care and do a daily p/rehab and corrective exercise routine. I'm (luckily? sadly? TBD) very familiar with these types of injuries -- I spent most of my collegiate running career injured and a hip/nerve pain is what ended it. Unfortunately, rolling/icing/stretching wasn't doing much to alleviate the pain or inflammation so after a week of trying to fix it on my own I am resorting to bigger guns. Hoping to be back in action next week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad - had a fabulous weekend away on the Sunshine Coast (~40min ferry ride from Vancouver) to support P who was doing a fondo on Sat. It's super hilly out there, so my long run on Friday was pretty tough. We ate a lot of seafood and drank too much beer but it was a lot of fun, lots of relaxing and time with good friends. I'm going to do it next year I think.

Last week's plans:

- Run 5x - FAIL only did 4 but the 4th was damn hard :-(
- Dryland 1x -DONE
- Inline 1x - DONE

This week: CANADA DAY is Friday! Yay! Kids are out of school! Boo! I lose the car for most of the summer so time for some changes to the weekly routine.
- Run 5x
- Inline 1x (already done)
- Dryland 1x
- Optional ride 1x.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was pretty fantastic, even though I only ran 4 times in the 2 weeks following the Conquer the Canuck 50k.

Saturday, June 18th we rode to Mille Roches campground on the St. Lawrence river - I had booked us a site near the Southwest corner of the outermost section (Snetsinger Island) a couple of months ago hoping for a pretty sunset. For reference, this is the campground:

(Photo from Parks of the St. Lawrence)

We were not disappointed:

The next morning we rode the Long Sault Parkway, which is an 11km causeway that spans 12 islands. Beautiful sunshine and blue water.

After riding it both ways, it was off to Quebec and Mont Tremblant for a night of camping at the park - we rode through the village a week before the IM was to be held.

We encountered the first of the blackflies as we stayed in La Grenouille campground, appropriately named for the hundreds of various species of frog singing and croaking in the swampy area of Lac Monroe directly across from our campsite.

The following morning we packed up and rode out to a couple of trailheads in the park.

Think we brought enough crap with us?

Chutes Croches (hook falls) was nice, but the trail out to and then the stunning view of Chutes du Diable were simply incredible.

Looks much smaller than its true 15m/50ft height, and nothing can compare to being buffeted by the spray of such a thunderous example of nature's power.

Off through the Laurentian Mountains, we battled strong, gusty crosswinds (65kph/40mph) that kept trying to blow me into oncoming traffic. It took us until 9.15pm before we reached Parc National des Grands-Jardins, then we got our tent set up and just barely managed to pitch the tarp before a raging thunderstorm came banging through the Pied-des-Monts (foot of the mountains) campground.

We awoke the next morning to more high wind gusts, but this stunning view on the way to the washhouse:

We rode up to the Mont du Lac des Cygnes (mountain of swan lake) Discovery Centre after confirming that via ferrata is only cancelled due to severe thunderstorms, then proceeded to climb a damn mountain.

Our guide called this "a nice flat spot" to stop for a snack.

The route was far more challenging than I'd expected, especially since the aircraft cable lifeline to which you are clipped is not to be used as a hold - there was much less hardware to grab than I'd anticipated, and given that I'm slightly terrified of heights and not a very good climber, I was cruising on adrenaline all afternoon (the route takes 5hrs starting with a tough, technical 30min hike; a stop at the teaching wall to ensure you climb safely; the parcours itself took us 3.25hrs, then another 30min hike back down to the via ferrata office). The 60+kph wind gusts trying to blow us off the mountain didn't help - nor did the 2 rain showers that resulted in wet metal hardware for hand and footholds.

Rain cloud incoming.

I got to a traverse section with no hardware at all for 3m/10ft or so, and was getting tired and ragged so suggested maybe I shouldn't continue. Our guide talked me into trying it, though (even offered to rope herself to me, which I declined) - partly, I'm sure, because it was her first time guiding to the summit of the parcours and she wanted to do the whole thing instead of just the traverse. She usually guides at a different park and had not done the La Montée section yet, which includes the summit trek:

"Poutre" are beams - pieces of 4"x4" wood you walk across in gaps in the rock. "Pont népalais" is a "Nepalese bridge" - just a piece of aircraft cable to walk across with 2 more for you to hold onto, and another piece to which you clip your harness.

This.

I did eventually make the summit of the parcours, and enjoyed the view from the roof.

Pretty glad I didn't chicken out after all.

Next morning it was another ride through the mountains - and a 40min rain shower - to the north shore of the Saguenay River and Parc National du Fjord-du-Saguenay.

We hiked out to the whale watching platform, but the belugas and harbour seals usually don't turn up until July and August so we didn't see any. Strangely enough, we didn't feel that disappointed.

The next morning we finally escaped the swarms of vicious blackflies by taking a ferry across the mouth of the Saguenay where it meets the St. Lawrence and riding through a couple more rainstorms along 138, descending out of the mountains along the seaway to Quebec City, then on through Montreal and to Parc National d'Oka.

While fairly abandoned at twilight Thursday evening, the beach was completely packed the next day for St-Jean-Baptiste Day - beautiful sunshine and a hot afternoon for fĂŞte nationale, with seemingly everyone making the half-hour drive from Montreal to the park.

We, on the other hand, went the other way. We rode into Montreal on Friday afternoon, booked into our tiny hotel room right downtown, then spent the rest of the day and well into the night walking and taking in the incredible sights, sounds and flavours (Schwartz's and Firegrill FTW!) of one of our favourite cities.

Outside la Basilique Notre Dame on our way to a magnificent steak dinner

Saturday morning after demolishing some delicious galettes at a creperie in the west end, we rode the 623km home so we would have Sunday as a day to unpack and get ready to return to work. 7 nights and 2,700km/1,680mi later, it was nice to be in our own bed again.

This week's goals:
- run x 5
- swim x 2
- bike x 1
- core/strength x 4

Back into the swing of things with less than 4 weeks until the 12-hour - yikes! At least I managed not to put on too much weight while we were touring - our only restaurant meals were in Montreal, as we'd hit grocery stores and I'd cook breakfast & dinner at campsites, then we'd snack on trail mix at fuel stops as our "lunch". Also managed to keep it down to a single glass of prosecco with our steak dinner to celebrate a successful tour - only drank water other than that.

Quote | Reply
Looks like a great adventure -- amazing photos mistressk!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 27 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jealous of your mountain adventure. :( The last time I was climbing outside was 5 years ago with a fetus in me... I'd love to get back into it - even some mountain hiking would work. Maybe this fall.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 27 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks SoCalTricurious - it was a ton of fun! I don't think it's fair I should still be itchy from blackfly bites now that I'm back at the office, though.

edbikebabe, with as bad as I am at climbing (I tend to fall off - have only ever top-rope climbed because I know I'm a hazard to my own health), I figured mountain hiking was all I'd ever really do...which is still damn cool, but I don't live near any mountains. Learning about via ferrata last winter was a revelation for me, and then finding out it exists in Quebec meant I had to go give it a try! A friend of mine who lives in Edmonton tells me there are routes in Banff at Mount Norquay - maybe that might be something to look into?

Quote | Reply
Well, this happened. And, I did my first ice skating lesson. Now to just get back into a regular training routine. I cannot seem to get out of bed in the mornings.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MisstressK - your pictures are amazing and that via ferrata looks fun and terrifying in equal measures too!

Last week was pretty meh. Goals for this week are cycle x 4 (one done) and swim x 3 (two done). Had started the week planning to do power walks to see how the knee coped. I did one and the knee definitely did not like it so have abandoned that part of my plan and I have made a physio appointment for Monday.

My dad arrives on Saturday for a week or so with us and I have also picked up some flexible temporary clerical hours for a few weeks. I really don't like being behind a desk anymore but it's only a few hours a day and today I got a dilly bar out of it so I won't complain (much).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am both very jealous and super impressed at your climb!!! :-) Great pics, sounds like it was a great trip. That 12hr will come & go before you know it - then you'll have to think about "what's next?" :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 27 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy AWESOME! and I would have loved to have seen a video of you skating :-) What did you think of it?

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 27 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, I think that's the best description of the via ferrata yet!

Haha, thanks Andy - I already have a few stupid ideas about what's next (*cough* possible hundred miler next September *choke*), but I still have to get through the few races I have on deck for the rest of this season, too!

Last edited by: mistressk: Jul 4, 16 6:31
Quote Reply