Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is a bike ever too old?
Quote | Reply
I was looking at buying an older model bike. 2006 Kestrel Talon tri. My question is is there a "too old" point where I'd be better off waiting or is it not that big a deal?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Is a bike ever too old? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you just price in the age and accept the better deal. That bike was never a top shelf superbike, so keep that in mind when negotiating.

A good value are 1st generation Speed Concepts, Cervelo P2's.

Honestly a lot of it is about fit. I just jumped from a 1st generation 7 series Speed Concept to a 9 series and I'm waiting on a lower stem to come in. But sitting 3cm higher, I'm not faster, if not slower than I was on my previous bike. Point being the the bike fit means a lot more than the bike itself.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might give up a little bit, not a lot. If you can get a good position on both, I think you will basically have the cake with an older bike, and a super bike will give you the cake plus the icing on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine has a 1903 something. He would ride it from time to time when he knew the group ride didn't have too many hills. He kept up just fine.

He and his wife have a couple of 1940's Raleigh's they ride to the shops on nice days.

Buuuuuut, a new bike is always a good idea. Just never sell the old ones.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what it is in my mind. Some vintage road bikes are sweet. An older Colnago, or Steel Waterford.... Keepers. Although, I wouldn't really want to hang on to a bonded carbon lugged bike prior to carbon be developed to what we know today. With Tri bikes, the tech really changed frames over the years.... It seems like women's fashion. Bikes are so "last year". I personally wouldn't hold on to a Tri bike all that long, and buying a used bike like a P2 or a Speed Concept would make sense to save a buck and try to race it a bit and just sell it again. Keep your costs down by doing so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, bike frames can become too old. Carbon lugs and their bonding with tubes can be an age issue. Fatigue from repetitive stress also can lead to failure. Visual inspection of bonds is a functioning analytic. Good luck assessing past repetitive stresses however. Agree with other posters on the P2 over the Talon. The Talon was never a "big boys" bike. If you hit the scales at over 170 lb, I'd steer clear.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a bike ever too old? [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter it sold... I'm below 170 though. But only just. Guess it depends if they had left over donuts in the conference room.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply