Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

your opinions on which would be the better size frame.
Quote | Reply
Hello,
A little about me. I'm 6'1" with fairly long legs and a short upper torso. I don't race, just ride for exercise and sometimes with local bike club.

I just purchased a 2015 Cervelo S3 in a 58cm. The leg part of this bike is no issue, but the top top is. I have a 80mm stem and with the current seat post on it I am still more stretched out more than I like.

Here's where your opinion may be useful to me. I can buy a 2 position post off a S5 and have the post in the forward position at all times. Which I know that forward position is really for a time trial type setting, not just regular cycling. Or I can just start all over and buy a 56cm.

Opinions wanted.

Thank you much.
Quote Reply
Re: your opinions on which would be the better size frame. [ginofairplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your current saddle setback? What are the dimensions of the current handlebar? Width, reach and drop? Reach especially? Crank length?

Depending, you might be able to cheat the saddle forward a bit, but that kinda sucks too if it is where you want it to be right now.
Depending, you could go to a shorter reach bar, which might shorten things up by a cm or 2. You dont really want to go shorter in actual stem.
Depending you could go shorter on the crank and bump the saddle forward a bit that way.

58 S3 is way too long for most 6'1" short torso'd riders though. As you are finding out. I dont think we can be certain that a 56 would do it at this point, so be careful.
Quote Reply
Re: your opinions on which would be the better size frame. [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight. I am not very technical on reach and drop on the bars. It's a 3T carbon 42cm bar. The crank length currently on the bike is 172.5. I usually use 175mm but I'm trying to see if I can make a 172.5 work. My amateur thinking on this is if I did go to a 56cm S3 I could make the standard seat post work and maybe use a slightly longer stem. Am I way off?
Quote Reply
Re: your opinions on which would be the better size frame. [ginofairplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ginofairplay wrote:
Hello,
A little about me. I'm 6'1" with fairly long legs and a short upper torso. I don't race, just ride for exercise and sometimes with local bike club.

I just purchased a 2015 Cervelo S3 in a 58cm. The leg part of this bike is no issue, but the top top is. I have a 80mm stem and with the current seat post on it I am still more stretched out more than I like.

Here's where your opinion may be useful to me. I can buy a 2 position post off a S5 and have the post in the forward position at all times. Which I know that forward position is really for a time trial type setting, not just regular cycling. Or I can just start all over and buy a 56cm.

Opinions wanted.

Thank you much.
What saddle are you on? That can affect your relative position to the pedals by as much as 3-4 cm irrespective of where the saddles are set up.

A saddle is tool that can be used to affect fit - not just comfort.

I'd find it pretty difficult to believe that, on a saddle that promotes a more forward seating position, you're unable to bridge the gap from the saddle position to the armpads.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: your opinions on which would be the better size frame. [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a fisik aliante, carbon shell. My existing seat post has likely a 20 degree set back and that's what is beating me up. If it was a zero degree set back I'd likely be good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ginofairplay wrote:
I'm using a fisik aliante, carbon shell. My existing seat post has likely a 20 degree set back and that's what is beating me up. If it was a zero degree set back I'd likely be good to go.
I misread your post as a P3, not S3. My bad.

That said, the Aliante definitely has you sitting aft a bit. Try a Cobb SHC and see if that helps. My overall point about saddles and rider position relative to the saddle is still relevant for road (albeit not as much).

The 56 S3 is one centimeter shorter reach than the 58. The 56 has 2.5 centimeters shorter stack than the 58. The smaller bike isn't going to accomplish much in terms of shortening your reach.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: your opinions on which would be the better size frame. [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay thanks. Will the 2 pos seat post work ? I don't race just some club rides and lots of 40+ rides.
Quote Reply