Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program?
Quote | Reply
Hi all

Saw The Program the other day and one thing confused me. During the sequence climbing Sestriere during his first win Lance comes next to the team car and Johan Bruyneel leans out of the car. He says some stuff but also (iirc) turns Lance's rear derailleur barrel adjuster. Then LA attacks and destroys the field. The camera focused in on the adjustment like it was significant.

Am I being foolish? Is there any reason this adjustment would have given LA an advantage (other than fixing a derailleur that was poorly indexed)? My impression was this was meant to imply some advantageous strategy or cheating. I just don't get it.

Thanks
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen the The Program, but I that's just over-dramatization by editors who don't understand that turning a barrel adjuster is an utterly mundane, common task that just happened to precede a monumental event

Either that or Lance was the kingpin of the most sophisticated mechanical doping program cycling has ever seen.
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turned on the motor?
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willi3ja wrote:
Turned on the motor?

You would have thought that Johan would be better than that. I thought he would have an early proto of ANT+ communication that could only be activated from the team car (since the electronics of the day would be too bulky to add to the motor on bike)....all pink font.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a nod to something that is done routinely in the peloton, even to this day. A rider will go to his team car, hang on, and the mechanic will pretend to make some silly adjustments while they talk strategy and the rider takes a quick breather. I've seen it a number of times watching races. They usually fiddle with the rear derailleur like they did in the scene you're referring to.
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
I think it is a nod to something that is done routinely in the peloton, even to this day. A rider will go to his team car, hang on, and the mechanic will pretend to make some silly adjustments while they talk strategy and the rider takes a quick breather. I've seen it a number of times watching races. They usually fiddle with the rear derailleur like they did in the scene you're referring to.

Yeah they keep going at 450 W pace while doing zero watts and recovering and then it is launch time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So where is this available?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw it on Amazon Prime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll check it out later.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

It's not a good movie. In fact, it's terrible. It's a cliff notes movie version of everything people already know about Lance.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

It's not a good movie. In fact, it's terrible. It's a cliff notes movie version of everything people already know about Lance.

But it's Lance so it is awesome!

Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Agree - not a very good film. If you've followed cycling, even loosely, this will be pretty boring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Haven't seen it and am not going to.

BUT the trailer is awesome

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How exactly would Bruyneel, the team director who is usually the one driving the car, a former pro level racer and not a mechanic, be able to hang out the window to adjust something on the racers bike?
michaer27 wrote:
During the sequence climbing Sestriere during his first win Lance comes next to the team car and Johan Bruyneel leans out of the car.
Blah, creative license, blah, what everyone else said. So here is a video of the actual race about 8-minutes before Lance attacks - TOUR DE FRANCE 1999-SESTRIERE parte 4 - the only team car that even comes close belongs to a competitor who hands off his rain jacket!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone saying it is a bad movie, I think you are absolutely wrong and approaching it from too narrow a perspective.

Is it a great movie? No. But...

This was a film made for a general audience. I don't think I learned a single thing watching it. And a lot of important and interesting things were left out, but that's the nature of movies. When you watch it, what are you watching it for? A documentary? Then go watch a doc. An in-depth Lord of the Rings epic telling of Lance's life? Go read a crap-ton of books.

I am always shocked at how people can go to a movie with completely unrealistic expectations and then are surprised when they see it.

But if you go expecting to see a dramatic reenactment of Lance's doping, you'll probably find this is at least an average film. From a cinematic perspective it was enjoyable. I have recommended it to a number of cyclists and non-cyclists and they enjoyed it in the right context.

Yes, the dialogue is heavy on exposition in places. And many of the characters get short-shrift (except Landis). But this was a narrative film that yes of course had some "shortcuts" to enhance the drama. Some of the cinematography was a little silly, but some was quite spectacular. And the acting is good.

Anyway, to everyone who will read this and avoid the movie because of people shitting on it here, think about what you are going to watch before you watch it. It's not a cycling movie as much as it is a movie about someone involved with cycling. I think the fact that I cannot remember a single thing happening that I didn't see coming but I still enjoyed it says something positive about the film.

I recommend it as an imperfect attempt, but worth 90 min of your life if you're sitting on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either that or Lance was the kingpin of the most sophisticated mechanical doping program cycling has ever seen.

I think it was the derailleur...
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
How exactly would Bruyneel, the team director who is usually the one driving the car, a former pro level racer and not a mechanic, be able to hang out the window to adjust something on the racers bike?
michaer27 wrote:
During the sequence climbing Sestriere during his first win Lance comes next to the team car and Johan Bruyneel leans out of the car.

Blah, creative license, blah, what everyone else said. So here is a video of the actual race about 8-minutes before Lance attacks - TOUR DE FRANCE 1999-SESTRIERE parte 4 - the only team car that even comes close belongs to a competitor who hands off his rain jacket!

Someone in the passenger seat steers the car while Johan has his window down and is fiddling with Lance's derailleur with the left arm. Cruise control takes care of the gas assuming you don't need to brake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:

And to let the cat out of the bag, my deraillieur secret.

A number of years ago I was out for a "Sundy Hundy" ride with a buddy. We got swallowed by a faster group and decided to get a tow as long as they were going our way. Weird group. Guys at the front of the two rows would ride fast-ish for about 8 minutes or so, then both would split and let the whole group through (making the group 4 side for several minutes), then the next two guys would put the hammer down for 8 minutes. When I finally got shunted forward to about the 3rd row, knowing I couldn't lea the group for 8 minutes at that pace, I pulled out my secret (no longer) weapon. Start shifting up and down, un-necessarily and looking at the deraillieur. No-one got the hint that my derailleur was toast, so I unclipped and gently started tapping my heel into my deraillieur. If it wasn't shot before, I was going to make sure it was now :-)

Anyway, it finally worked a treat and several rows of guys passed me, letting me settle back in the bunch. A few km later the group turned off and my buddy and I kept going, finishing our ride at a much slower pace, enjoying the scenery and our own company.

Now the deraillier secret is out :-) I think pro's do that too, but I don't have a team car.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Everest" was just like you say. Lots left out, learned nothing new and lots of Hollywood licence. Pulp for the masses only

My home library is about 1/2 Everest books and DVD's. I watched "Everest" only because it was the least bad option on a flight to Oz. I regret that choice. I should have slept.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a terrible movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michaer27 wrote:
Everyone saying it is a bad movie, I think you are absolutely wrong and approaching it from too narrow a perspective.

Is it a great movie? No. But...

This was a film made for a general audience. I don't think I learned a single thing watching it. And a lot of important and interesting things were left out, but that's the nature of movies. When you watch it, what are you watching it for? A documentary? Then go watch a doc. An in-depth Lord of the Rings epic telling of Lance's life? Go read a crap-ton of books.

I am always shocked at how people can go to a movie with completely unrealistic expectations and then are surprised when they see it.

But if you go expecting to see a dramatic reenactment of Lance's doping, you'll probably find this is at least an average film. From a cinematic perspective it was enjoyable. I have recommended it to a number of cyclists and non-cyclists and they enjoyed it in the right context.

Yes, the dialogue is heavy on exposition in places. And many of the characters get short-shrift (except Landis). But this was a narrative film that yes of course had some "shortcuts" to enhance the drama. Some of the cinematography was a little silly, but some was quite spectacular. And the acting is good.

Anyway, to everyone who will read this and avoid the movie because of people shitting on it here, think about what you are going to watch before you watch it. It's not a cycling movie as much as it is a movie about someone involved with cycling. I think the fact that I cannot remember a single thing happening that I didn't see coming but I still enjoyed it says something positive about the film.

I recommend it as an imperfect attempt, but worth 90 min of your life if you're sitting on the trainer.

Nope. It is a terrible movie.

It was originally shown to potential U.S. distributors. The film was deemed such poor quality that none thought they could make money from it. So it was recut. Some additional footage may have also been shot. On the second try, a minor league distributor agreed to distribute. Upon further assessment, that small company handed it off to its even smaller subsidiary. Ultimately a theatrical release was abandoned altogether. I think it went to a few theaters to abide by a contract obligation.

The sad thing is that Frears could have made a good film. All he had to do was show the truth, that everyone was doping, the system is completely corrupt, and anyone even remotely connected to the sport, including all the cycling media, knew about it. It could have been a great black comedy, showing all the people making money hand over fist from the rampant doping in pro sports pretending they are too dumb to figure out the obvious. The kicker could have been David Walsh, who portrays himself as a dogged investigator opposed to doping, is now the chief defender of a British team with riders climbing faster than Armstrong.

Instead he made a ridiculous morality play with a quality level below a typical Lifetime channel flick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the most insight I got out of the film was about Floyd. I guess I didn't picture him as being so conflicted over the doping once he assumed team lead. Wonder how real that was.
Quote Reply
Re: What did Bruyneel do to Lance's bike in The Program? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. This is definitely nowhere near one of Stephen Frears' top movies. He definitely underperformed. For him it was a failure.

But the film-making craft wasn't terrible. Not by a long shot.

And please don't use gossipy marketing bs to justify your argument. Good and great films often have issues with the marketing side because people don't understand how to sell a film. Yes bad films can also have trouble. If you can give some details about what the changes were then I'd I be interested. My guess knowing Frears' films would be the original was too esoteric for the moneymen and not commercial enough. But that's just a guess.

You want to call it terrible because it wasn't to your taste, fine. I'm not going to argue with you. I have learned not to argue with my mom and her husband about movies not because they have horrible taste but because they can't seem to understand dissent from their opinions. But 56% by critics on Rotten Tomatoes. So like I said not great but all right.
Quote Reply