Login required to post replies

My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying
Quote | Reply
apartment in a block of flats - 60-70% of building gone

no one hurt

oh well

back to your regularly scheduled programming - whats happening with Frexit
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#thatsprettycrappy

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not wrong when you're 6000km from it and you find out by email
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks, dude.

Have any/many personal belongings there?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
contents of apartment

personal stuff in storage in basement which I suspect is history given the damage and that was primarily outdoor gear - bikes, dozens of skis, boots, boards, clothing etc

not insignificant but not the end of the world either - wait and see how they unpick this all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh crap. Sorry to hear that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Obama!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have renters insurance? Or is the building cover losses to individuals? As long as you are OK, stuff can be replaced. But nice to have someone else pay for it..
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm completely unclear on the details - basically new build 4 years ago, came with 10 year builders guarantee, I believe it started in another apartment, am told it was electrical, it spread, took out the rest of the building

So as I understand it, I contact my insurance guy, who'll go to source apartments insurance and I guess they will claim against the constructor

In the meantime the building association has insurance for rebuilding but all of the investigations need to take place

Someone is going to be in legal trouble I suspect if it was a result of construction
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully your builder warranties are worth more then the paper they are printed on here.

Builders here shut down their business and re-incorperate under a different name every five years or so. Makes anything over the five year warranty useless. Steps are being taken to work around the loophole, but, it's still a joke.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#understatement
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its a major developer. i think it will be fine though obviously do not know the cause as of yet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. That sucks big time.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit man, thats worse than getting your car stolen! Glad to hear youre ok. Was anyone hurt or killed?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, just a loss of stuff apparently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear for the loss of property and all the associated BS you'll have to go thru. You seen to have a very good take on the circumstances tho. Good on ya!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hashtag sosorrytoheargladyou'reok

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
nope, just a loss of stuff apparently

Are things more clear on what happened and what you need to do?
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntly - no

they believe they know which apartment it started in, they know the "cause" but not the reason for it e.g. whether it started due to construction, or poor workmanship or that there was a lightning strike (speculation)

I spoke to the local equivalent of the Home Owners Association - they told me that the buildings insurer had agreed to cover rebuilding for those that did not have insurance (there is a language barrier here) but I think he was telling me that some people did not have personal insurance for contents and as a result the buildings insurance will cover it

I think what he means is that in France to take ownership of a property you have to have insurance and because its an apartment building - the buildings insurance is done co-operatively, the contents is done individually

I have personal insurance so they will work with the builders insurance and this will get figured out

What I am unclear about is whether he is saying that the buildings insurance is going to cover these uninsured individuals contents - I hope not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, it sucks with different insurance rules/interpretation. stay with it and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
apartment in a block of flats - 60-70% of building gone

no one hurt

oh well

back to your regularly scheduled programming - whats happening with Frexit

Sorry bro.

I had a friend that had a similar experience.

He weathered it well by relying on his super positive attitude.

Look at this as an opportunity vs a loss.

It's a good time to start fresh and get back to basics in life.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG - the fact I do not need to sort out all the s**t that was in storage is all upside

we've been through the hundreds of items that I know were in there and I think we'd honestly only need to replace 1/8th of them
Quote Reply
Re: My house burnt down last night - if I tweeted it would be #annoying [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the work around as far as consumers were concerned was that home warranties are held by third party "insurance" companies.
Quote Reply