Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeved Jerseys - Are they hotter?
Quote | Reply
I have seen all the aerodynamic data from sleeved jerseys/suits and you see them everywhere at races now. I've avoided them thus far because I would rather know that I can avoid overheating than the 3 min I'd save on aerodynamics on a 70.3 bike leg.

Then I tried the PI Sun Sleeves at Eagleman this year and WOW did those work well.

Are sleeved jerseys any warmer/cooler than the normal tri jersey? I would assume they'd get even warmer on the run. Am I wrong?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved Jerseys - Are they hotter? [wojoku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore a Castelli Stealth Sleeved (short sleeve, just above the elbow) in a hot humid HIM a couple of weeks ago. Worked perfectly fine. May have even been cooler since there was more material too keep wet from water at aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved Jerseys - Are they hotter? [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple questions...

1. Did you have it on under the wetsuit? Most manufacturers seem to mention putting them on in T1, but I can't fathom why.
2. Did you run in the same top? If so, how was it?

Thanks to having very little shame and a coach/team who are inventive, I ran the Eagleman run in a sports bra and LOVED it because I run better shirtless (more sweat evaporation). But if there was a shirt made from the sun sleeves material, I'd be set!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, had it on under wetsuit with no problems.

Yes, ran in it with no problems. Seemed to actually keep me cooler, but that's hard to quantify. Only minor complaint as a male; the material is thin and when wet very see-through, so race pics look a little goofy with HRM strap and nip-nips showing through. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a short sleeved 2XU shirt last weekend in a hot HIM and I thought it was great. I wore it under a sleeveless wetsuit with no issues and I felt like it keeps me a little cooler, especially when its wet. I also loved not having to get sunscreen behind my shoulders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wojoku wrote:
I have seen all the aerodynamic data from sleeved jerseys/suits and you see them everywhere at races now. I've avoided them thus far because I would rather know that I can avoid overheating than the 3 min I'd save on aerodynamics on a 70.3 bike leg.

Then I tried the PI Sun Sleeves at Eagleman this year and WOW did those work well.

Are sleeved jerseys any warmer/cooler than the normal tri jersey? I would assume they'd get even warmer on the run. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

To me they are cooler. I tend to run shirtless most of the time when it is hot because it feels cooler. That's the weird thing, I feel cooler with the sleeves on during a race. I think it is because "tech" shirts are not really all that breathable and tend to get weighted down with perspiration, whereas the sleeved tri suits have very thin material and protect from the sun. Just my .02

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved Jerseys - Are they hotter? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which jersey/suit do you use?

I agree on the normal tech shirts. Since last fall, I've forced myself to run with a shirt to try and get used to it. But if they can make the PI sun sleeves as well as they do, they must have improved fabrics for the sleeved jerseys.

It's just an expensive purchase to "try it out."

Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cuore of Switzerland tri suit

wojoku wrote:
Which jersey/suit do you use?

I agree on the normal tech shirts. Since last fall, I've forced myself to run with a shirt to try and get used to it. But if they can make the PI sun sleeves as well as they do, they must have improved fabrics for the sleeved jerseys.

It's just an expensive purchase to "try it out."

Thanks for the input.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a sleeved onesie at Texas this year. Seemed cooler to me because I kept more material wet during the race. Also, it gave me more places to stash ice and sponges then just a sports bra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still wearing my Pearl Izumi Octane and I think it is actually cooler than my sleeved tri tops. Like others have said, all of the wet fabric helps with evaporative heat loss. When I first got it I had the same concerns as you so I did some workouts wearing the PI while on the trainer (in the basement with the fans blowing on high). I actually felt a little bit cold during sessions. Additionally, I can't overemphasize how great it is to have the coverage on the shoulders and upper arms to protect from sun exposure.

I have worn my sleeved suit under my wetsuit, with the top on, every time I have used it. I don't 'think' it has slowed me down but my swim times are pretty abysmal...... so I may not be the best barometer the effect of wearing a sleeved top during the swim. I do wear it for the run as well and have had no problems there. Occasionally I unzip the front but it really isn't required (and does make your pics look pretty bad.... :-) )

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wojoku wrote:
Couple questions...

1. Did you have it on under the wetsuit? Most manufacturers seem to mention putting them on in T1, but I can't fathom why.
2. Did you run in the same top? If so, how was it?

Thanks to having very little shame and a coach/team who are inventive, I ran the Eagleman run in a sports bra and LOVED it because I run better shirtless (more sweat evaporation). But if there was a shirt made from the sun sleeves material, I'd be set!

But if there was a shirt made from the sun sleeves material, I'd be set!

Give Desoto a call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2 i have are warmer than sleeveless . But also decrease the use of arm warmers when chilly.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved Jerseys - Are they hotter? [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
The 2 i have are warmer than sleeveless . But also decrease the use of arm warmers when chilly.

Which two do you have?

What conditions have you worn them in? I know every manufacturer recommends keeping them wet and that high humidity is going to impede their affect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wojoku wrote:

Thanks!

For a hot weather race, why not use the sleeved jersey on the bike and the remove it in 10 seconds and put on a lose baggy singlet Mark Allen/Dave Scott style for the run. Should be a net savings and much better cooling. I don't understand why people don't do that. If it is a 1 piece suit, I assume you could have a super thin pair of tri shorts under the one piece suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the one I have but will say you need some air movement to get the evap cooling process to work. So long as you have event a slight breeze they are great. Without they can get warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved Jerseys - Are they hotter? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
For a hot weather race, why not use the sleeved jersey on the bike and the remove it in 10 seconds and put on a lose baggy singlet Mark Allen/Dave Scott style for the run. Should be a net savings and much better cooling. I don't understand why people don't do that. If it is a 1 piece suit, I assume you could have a super thin pair of tri shorts under the one piece suit.

For a 70.3 or less, I can see why - it's less of a time savings gap and they likely think to make up the cooling effect with water, sponges, ice, hydration, etc. But for a full, look at Vanhoenacker! He changed to full sleeve white!

There are a lot of things I think people think to try but never do. Hell, I wore a sports bra (and I'm a guy) at Eagleman and it worked wonders! Took some flack for it, but oh-well.

The thread has me curious to try the sleeve jersey. If it's as cooling as the arm sleeves alone, I think it'll be worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved Jerseys - Are they hotter? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been told multiple times that the PI Octane was the way to go. It's too bad they don't make it in a jersey. I'm opposed to full suits! (I say that now... watch me race in suits only next year).
Quote Reply