Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist?
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased an older model set of Flo wheels which have a 24.5mm external rim width. The brakes had to be adjusted to fit the new width and it would have to be a pain to adjust them every time I swap wheels (my other 3 sets of wheels are all narrower).

Are there wider rim training wheels (aka. cheaper) out there I could use for training on? I simply need something that I can swap out without having to adjust the brakes.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [wojoku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed Belgiums are 25mms wide, you can have them built up for around 600 a pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Profile 24/Twentyfour Alloy clincher are ~350. Guess how wide they are...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 30s? Can be found used from time to time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had two sets of Quills built this spring ($550 total) and have been riding a set of Ailerons for 2 years now.
- the Quils were built 20/28 and in over 1500 miles are still perfectly true and roll as well as HED FRs.
- I know the Ailerons are disc rims, but I liked the profile and design so ordered a pair (20/24, Sapin blade, etc) to use with rim brakes and have been very happy with them. The only drawback is when braking when the pad goes across the seam there is a very slight pulse. I'm doing a hilly half IM in the fall and will use these instead of my HED 6/9 wheels.

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/quill-622

http://www.velocityusa.com/...uct/rims/aileron-622
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontragers and Fulcrum LGs are both fairly wide.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
I had two sets of Quills built this spring ($550 total) and have been riding a set of Ailerons for 2 years now.
- the Quils were built 20/28 and in over 1500 miles are still perfectly true and roll as well as HED FRs.
- I know the Ailerons are disc rims, but I liked the profile and design so ordered a pair (20/24, Sapin blade, etc) to use with rim brakes and have been very happy with them. The only drawback is when braking when the pad goes across the seam there is a very slight pulse. I'm doing a hilly half IM in the fall and will use these instead of my HED 6/9 wheels.

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/quill-622

http://www.velocityusa.com/...uct/rims/aileron-622

Using caliper brakes on a rim designed for discs is an exceedingly bad idea. You are subjecting the rims to forces for which they were not intended and braking on a surface that has no dedicated braking track.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordinarily I might agree with you but in this case they are engineered the same as rim brake rims, just don't have the joint finished and the side milled for rim brakes. I have close to 5k on them without any issues.
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Jun 25, 16 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 30s are nice and they are even a decent wheel to race on. Durable, reasonably aero and they only weight 30g more than my 404s, which is a lot less than a set of Flo 60s. Consider them your climbing wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DT Swiss R460 are 23mm wide. I know they are not 25's, but they can also be had for $40 a piece or less. They are a great rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up a pair of Vision Team 30 for like a hundred quid (GBP) in a sale. These are approx 25mm. And they have a steel freehub body which is ideal in a training set.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 25, 16 22:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for either Flo 30's, or a wheelset built with HED Belgium rims (can get clincher or tubular) built with Ultegra hubs and DT double butt spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option if you don't want another wheelset, or feel like riding your FLO's all the time, would be to look into changing your brakes to something like the TriRig Omega. They make brake width adjustments very easy.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for HED Belgiums. Kinda crazy, but I have Velocity Dyads on my touring bike. I think they're 24 mm and I promise you would not have to worry about truing them for a long time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of options out there:

Pancetti sl 25's
HED Belgium
Williams 25's
Boyd Altimont (i think)
Zipp's new 30 alloy wheel
DT swiss and Velocity both have new wider alloy rims

Go to wheelbuilder.com or prowheelbuilder.com and look at all of the rim options and build choices. Easy to get a really good wheelset for 500-600 that will last for 50k miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Lots of options out there:

Boyd Altimont (i think)

Close :-)
It's Altamont, and we also have the new Altamont Lite

Quote | Reply
Another vote for HED Belgiums. Kinda crazy, but I have Velocity Dyads on my touring bike. I think they're 24 mm and I promise you would not have to worry about truing them for a long time!

That isn't a property of any rim....
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing is bomb proof, but a well-built 36 spoke wheel like a Dyad is going to take A LOT of abuse. I have about 8,000 commuting miles on mine since the last time I even touched them with a spoke wrench.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [coachboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Altamont. I got them with the intention of training on them and racing on 303 tubies...but I find myself just keeping them on.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
Nothing is bomb proof, but a well-built 36 spoke wheel like a Dyad is going to take A LOT of abuse. I have about 8,000 commuting miles on mine since the last time I even touched them with a spoke wrench.

I put at least 50,000 miles on a set of Rolf's and never trued them. The hub flange on the rear finally broke, but my nephew still rides the front on his hipster dufus single speed. These wheels were made just after Campy switched to 10 speed, so around late 90s early 2000, and the front has still never needed truing. They had a crazy low spoke count, but some really beefy rims
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Rim (~24mm) Training Wheels - Do they exist? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager Race Lite wheels that came with my Speeds Concept 9.5 are pretty wide. Just a little narrower than my Zipp 808's but close enough that I don;t need to adjust the brakes. They also ride surprisingly smooth, and are fairly light and have an aero profile rim. really, pretty good for damn a training rim.

The 1st gen Race lite wheels had bladed spkes and a beefier rim and rode like a tank, about rattled out any filling you had.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of new Oval 527 wheels off Ebay to use as training wheels. 24mm at the brake track. 11 speed compatible. They were well under $200 with junk tires.

I had the same reasoning since you have to pull the crank and disassemble the rear brake entirely just to switch or adjust brake pads on a BMC Time Machine.

edit: the same seller has a few more on Ebay. I'm not sure if I can list Ebay links here, but going to Ebay and searching "Oval 527 wheel" will get you a few hits.
Last edited by: dangle: Jun 27, 16 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wojoku wrote:
I recently purchased an older model set of Flo wheels which have a 24.5mm external rim width. The brakes had to be adjusted to fit the new width and it would have to be a pain to adjust them every time I swap wheels (my other 3 sets of wheels are all narrower).

Are there wider rim training wheels (aka. cheaper) out there I could use for training on? I simply need something that I can swap out without having to adjust the brakes.

Thanks!

I have a Flo 30/30 set so I do not need to tweak things when I switch to the Flo 60/90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HiFi Mix Tapes are 24mm wide. I've been on a set for a few months now and they've been perfect. As an added bonus, one of the easiest seating tubeless rim beds I've used yet.
http://ridehifi.com/products/products-road-wheels/products-the-mix-tape-aluminum-clincher/

Quote Reply