Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from?
Quote | Reply
Configuring a basebar.
Any recs ?

It will be on a Speed Concept basebar.

Anything to stay away from...?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
I'm not in love with the 3T's because the return spring is kind of weak. I've heard good things about the Profile design ones. I had the Ultegra Di2 levers for a while, which is obviously not relevant if you don't have Di2, and they worked very nicely, but they seemed blocky and unaero so, being an aeroweenie, I removed them, probably saving me 0.1 watts!
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, i picked up but havent installed a set of PD ones.

Good feedback tho thanks.
Last edited by: Johnnyfever: Jun 24, 16 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the 3T levers. They are lightweight and quite aero, though as mentioned the return spring isn't super strong and you have to get used to positioning your hand so your hand doesn't get pinched during the lever return.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best all around that I found in my research are the Shimano TT-78. They are economical, durable, aero, light, and have a strong pull ratio. If you are feeling fancy, then the Shimano TT-79 are the best. The TT-79 are basically a carbon rendition of the -78; otherwise they are the same.

I put a set of the TT-78 levers on my bike. I love them.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 3t also have a good pull ratio for use with omegas.

you don't need a strong spring if your routing is good . mine work fine on a p3 with omegas routed through the box behind stem and not on side of toptube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like the profiles......if you want a set I'll send you them on the cheap......they dig into your hands and without gloves it kinda hurts.....I swapped for the trp carbons and love them.....although I'm not sure how aero they are
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
Configuring a basebar.
Any recs ?

TRP RL979 has great feel, very sleek, and makes swapping between narrow training wheels and wide race rims easy.

Quote | Reply
these might be worth a shot, i grabbed a set for my p2sl rebuild and they seem pretty light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400743392876?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i had them on my fixed-gear and the levers feel nice, good return spring.
i also have the sram tt900 which are so light they feel fake, but i'm not fond of the curve.

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager XXX aero brake levers. They have a barrel adjuster built into the end of them which is handy with the SC's brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still a fan of the original vision tech levers....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im using the sram carbon brakes and love them. Nice feel to them, good hand of grip and lightweight.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to like my Visions too but I got fed up having to hunt down the proprietary brake cables and outers, or trusting my life to shift cables!!!

SRAM TT 500 are decent, nowt wrong with the aluminium ones which are reasonable. And you can get those bad boys in RED.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 25, 16 1:06
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the 3t also have a good pull ratio for use with omegas.

I'm surprised that you feel that way. I've now ridden off course twice due to the switch from SRAM's S990 (which I highly recommend). However, I am on the original Omega (gen 1) and have found that the Omega X is much, much better than the GEN1. I complained to Nick about flex on the Gen1 cable hanger, but he dismissed my concern; however, in the redesign the cable hanger was beefed up a lot.

With the S990s I could go in much hotter into turns than I can with the 3Ts, but I won't be switching anytime soon. That being said if you like good brakes the levers will have an impact and the SRAM S990s did well for me there. Also the SRAMs have a barrel adjuster built in to the lever, which makes getting cable tension easy and or when switching wheels (wide to narrow).

Also agree that the return spring on the 3T is not an issue if you have good cable routing.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Bontrager XXX aero brake levers. They have a barrel adjuster built into the end of them which is handy with the SC's brakes.

X2. They are great levers.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a few sets with the levers. I don't wear out the cables, so when I have to recable for whatever reason the rear cable gets moved to the front and the new one put on the rear.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
Configuring a basebar.
Any recs ?

I have a Speed Concept as well and I really like the ShImano BL-TT79 levers. This comes from trying all bunch including a few different SRAM ones, profile design, bontrager. Look reasonably aero and are reasonably light.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use the cable hanger up front when I have lever pulled as hard as possible there remains lever travel space(lever not fully engaged but brake is fully engaged). with some levers you can fully depress lever and the omega may not yet be fully engaged
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best' aero brake levers? is there such a thing, what should I stay away from? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't think it's the levers fault at all in this situation, as you point out. But, the SRAMs did work really well (as well as I needed on a Time Trial bike) even with the flexy cable mount. Alas, I am unable to do away with the hanger so I have merely adjusted my riding style and probably lost a handful of seconds....oh well.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply