Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im saying the evidence shows that few do.

Yeah, well, the evidence is more than questionable. Some of the states found a drug use of virtually zero among welfare recipients, and if you believe that "evidence," I have a lovely study that shows how much the Brooklyn bridge is going to appreciate in value that I'd love to show you.

They likely have kids. So youre taking food out of a poor childs mouth because their parents got high. Thats not helping anything and its quite vindictive.

I think the whole welfare drug testing movement smacks of vindictiveness, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for the "but the children!" argument. Yeah, you say that it's taking food out of a poor child's mouth because the parents got high. I say the parents took food out of their own kids mouth by getting high, and I'm more right than you are about that when it comes to drug abusing parents. Giving welfare to drug users because they have kids doesn't help the kids much, it just enables their parents.

That's one of the problems that would arise if you had reliable drug testing of welfare recipients, though. Let's say they have kids and they test positive. Do you leave the kids with them? Etc etc.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is getting high taking food out of a kids mouth? Are you assuming that everyone uses money to procure drugs or that its their fault for using drugs resulting in getting their benefits taken away?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is getting high taking food out of a kids mouth? Are you assuming that everyone uses money to procure drugs or that its their fault for using drugs resulting in getting their benefits taken away?

The former.

Again, I'm not saying most or even many welfare recipients are drug users. But I would be highly surprised if there aren't at least as many drug users in the pool of welfare recipients as among the general population, percentage wise.

And yes, many of those drug users do use welfare benefits to procure drugs by one means or another. And many of them can't get a job because they abuse drugs.

Like I said, I think drug users/abusers are a minority among welfare recipients. But it's ludicrous to believe that they don't exist, or are highly rare. And some of them have children, and those that do are responsible for the situation their children are in. And in those cases, yeah, welfare does enable them to one degree or another.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you remove my SocSec and Medicare costs, this chart looks different.

Duffy wrote:
Quote:
You mean to build roads, pay for emergency services, sewer systems, military etc.

Last time I checked I could drive on a welfare recipient, haven't been treated medically or had a fire put out buy a welfare recipient, had my sewer pipes worked on by a welfare recipient, etc.

But, hey, if someone who recieved payments form my taxes actually did some of these things, I'd support it.

Quote:
Luckily for you people who dont like to help poor people via welfare, its a very small percentage of your tax bill.

Look at this pie chart...

Social Security - Welfare
Income security - Welfare
Health - Welfare
Veteran benefits - Welfare

69% is not "a very small" percentage.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should work with a private software company to figure out how to detect fraud, and give the private company a percentage of the public savings associated with stamping out that fraud. That would be win/win. There's too much politics involved to trust fraud detection to the FEDs. And a private company can't make money on detecting fraud if it isn't there.

I'm not a big fan of drug testing for food stamps. Maybe if we exclude tobacco, pot, and alcohol -- the drugs that are legal or are in state-level experimentation. Even then, maybe usage just gets you a lower monthly food subsidy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

Heres another problem with cutting off benefits because someone tests positive. They likely have kids. So youre taking food out of a poor childs mouth because their parents got high. Thats not helping anything and its quite vindictive.

I used to have an employee who would hit me up every single Sunday for an advance on his next weeks paycheck. When I would refuse, he would say "I need it to buy formula for my baby". Of course, he managed to buy cigarettes all week long. So was that me taking food from his baby's mouth or him?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Heres another problem with cutting off benefits because someone tests positive. They likely have kids. So youre taking food out of a poor childs mouth because their parents got high. Thats not helping anything and its quite vindictive.

I used to have an employee who would hit me up every single Sunday for an advance on his next weeks paycheck. When I would refuse, he would say "I need it to buy formula for my baby". Of course, he managed to buy cigarettes all week long. So was that me taking food from his baby's mouth or him?

There isnt enough information to make an informed opinion. Also, addiction is an incredibly powerful thing. It comes before all other needs.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, when you ignore half of all government spending it does look different.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Yes, when you ignore half of all government spending it does look different.

>>
>>
"Social Security - Welfare
Income security - Welfare
Health - Welfare
Veteran benefits - Welfare

69% is not "a very small" percentage.
>>
>>

Sir,

I beg to differ with your contention that MY paid-for SocSec and MY paid-for Medicare are Welfare.

Again--

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention veteran's benefits. Sheesh.

Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Not to mention veteran's benefits. Sheesh.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Quote Reply
Re: A Feel Good Food Stamp Story That Will Touch Your Heart [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
They should work with a private software company to figure out how to detect fraud, and give the private company a percentage of the public savings associated with stamping out that fraud. That would be win/win.

That's not a bad idea, but there'd have to be strong protection against the inherent conflict-of-interest there, e.g. the incentive of a company to move beyond finding fraud and onto finding "fraud."
Quote Reply

Prev Next