Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit.
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've heard one opinion on this matter. Let's hear it.

Francois? Even though you have convinced me you are an American, what do you think?

Iron-Mike, Halvard?

By the way, Iron-Mike, change your name, there is only one Ironmike and you aren't a rapist with a face tattoo.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my old east European country: We don't give a shit
Last edited by: softrun: Jun 24, 16 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
By the way, Iron-Mike, change your name, there is only one Ironmike and you aren't a rapist with a face tattoo.

Are you merely ASSuming, or have you actually met him?
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was about to write something clever, but I can't stop laughing.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is European. She's stunned. I have ~10 nieces and nephews. They only have ever known open borders. They live in Germany, the Netherlands, Vienna, London and the USA. Their attitude mirrors that of their friends in the UK, which is near unanimous opposition. The generational divide is stark and inescapable.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jun 24, 16 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife was born in Europe (Ukraine) but 100% American and she is pretty much seas the EU as an experiment that was doomed to fail. I'm curious how this will change the whole social landscape. My last company's CEO and his minions lived in Vienna. They pretty much took full advantage of the ability to travel the EU offered. His company is comprised of Germans, Austrians and people from the Netherlands. I wonder if he is worried now.

At the end of the day, all the countries you mentioned are big supporters of the EU, except for the Netherlands. They may still have free flow. Its not like more than one country left you know.

Last edited by: TheForge: Jun 24, 16 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Francois? Even though you have convinced me you are an American, what do you think?

Iron-Mike, Halvard?

Bitch please there is only one iron Mike. ...Ditka
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Iron-Mike, Halvard?

What about mini-Ditka?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Iron-Mike, Halvard?

What about mini-Ditka?

On the bus while he's winning the Indianapolis 500
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mini Ditka versus the 2015 Denver Broncos ... GO!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
My wife is European. She's stunned. I have ~10 nieces and nephews. They only have ever known open borders. They live in Germany, the Netherlands, Vienna, London and the USA. Their attitude mirrors that of their friends in the UK, which is near unanimous opposition. The generational divide is stark and inescapable.

It's sad to read about it, huge divide. Some reports now suggest that the EU immigration policy played a bigger role than originally thought.
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The divide is quite a thing. The thing that gets me is that they've really spat their collective dummy out about it, like democracy doesn't work if it doesn't work for them. The petition to rerun the referendum would be quite funny if it wasn't so stupid and smacked of being sore losers.

Also, see complaints of educated vs uneducated; classes vs masses; world citizens vs racists.

There's been a lot of absolutes been thrown about.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The petition to rerun the referendum would be quite funny if it wasn't so stupid and smacked of being sore losers.

Well, the petition was started before the referendum was held, and is based on the margin of vote, not the outcome. I'm sure a lot of sore losers are among those voting for it now, but it wasn't started because of the outcome.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. It was created on 24th May and had 22 signatures on it by the time the results were released. Hardly a groundswell of support.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom is Polish and have quite a bit of family there and in Italy.

A few of my cousins were part of the wave of poles that moved to the UK after Poland joined the EU. they have started families there, have decent jobs, etc. I don't believe they are particularly pleased, but, they aren't crying that the sky is falling either. I think personally they feel a bit rejected and disappointed.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Mini Ditka versus the 2015 Denver Broncos ... GO!

Da Bears
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
My mom is Polish and have quite a bit of family there and in Italy.

A few of my cousins were part of the wave of poles that moved to the UK after Poland joined the EU. they have started families there, have decent jobs, etc. I don't believe they are particularly pleased, but, they aren't crying that the sky is falling either. I think personally they feel a bit rejected and disappointed.[/quote]

Yes, and that's a lot of other people sentiments are, which support the claim that EU immigration policies is the main deriver behind the decision to leave.
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. They took a lot of flack when they first moved. Over the years, they learned to speak better English, assimilated in to society, hell they had good jobs right from the start, and weren't burdening the society at all. I guess the vote reminds them of that anti immigration sentiment they first felt years ago.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was born and currently live in Austria and have worked in nearly every country in the EU. I have no clear opinion, however those things come to my mind:

• GB was always special in the EU, it did not participate in Schengen, it did not participate in the Euro. Additionally there are loads of treaties which make GB special within the EU. So for me they never felt to be a "real" part of the EU.
  • Basically it will not be of much relevance to the EU besides eating up resources for (re)negotiating loads of new treaties with GB.
  • It has and will certainly support the right wing tendencies of certain countries in the EU which are currently discussing on how to leave the EU (see Marine Le Pen in France or Geert Wilders in the Netherlands). However I do not feel that the EU will fall apart.
  • Will be interesting to see if Scotland parts from GB and joins EU. Did you know that the only harbor for British nuclear powered submarines is in Scotland :)
  • A country which was not able to produce a proper, working one hand mixer tap for the last 30 years will most certainly be lost alone.

Just my 2 ct.
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [Richie74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unrelated question. Are there a lot of gypsies in Austria?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the definition of "gypsies" and "a lot". Currently there are about 40k people who consider themselves to be of Roma or Sinti heritage living in Austria (which is 0,5% of total population). Only a few of them are really living as gypsies.

Personal feeling is that those who live a gypsy lifestyle (or are forced to) and earn their living begging for money are very visible in the streets of the larger cities like Vienna or Graz. 10 years ago this was a very prominent topic in public discussion. Since 2008 Chechen immigration and the violence between Chechens and other immigrants from the former USSR drew more attention in media. And of course Syrian immigration starting from 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: How do the continental europeans feel about Brexit. [Richie74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I ask is my former CEO was Austrian, and there was an Austrian division which was his headquarters. He was/is a sleazy conman. The rest of his minions in Austria were lazy and complacent in his various cons or running cons of their own. Further, third parties we worked with out of Austria were equally sleazy and always looking to make a quick buck through confidence means. So I just assumed that country was full of gypsies.

Quote Reply