Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit?
Quote | Reply
In terms of population and economy the UK is dominated by the English. What's the attitude in the smaller nations? Could we be seeing a Scottish referendum next year to separate from the UK and join EU separately?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
already announced - all in the other thread

sturgeon has announced the intention to prep legislation for second ref on independence

Northern Ireland - Martin McGuinnis has said the same under the good friday agreement

Welsh - want independence - turns out they hate the EU more than the english on this occasion #ironic

everything is in other thread
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sinn Fein is (shockingly) calling for a border poll (a vote to see if they leave the UK to join Ireland).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both scotland and NI are going to be big problems in the next 6 months - both require westminster approval, westminster will be fighting on a bunch of fronts but any referendum needs to be concluded before UK withdrawl - all going to get ugly
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But here's the thing - if Scotland and NI leave the UK, they won't be part of the EU anyway, it was made clear during last year's Scottish referendum that an independent Scotland would have to apply for EU membership from scratch. Which in itself would be challenging as they didn't have their own currency or a central bank. Now maybe the EU will agree to fast-track them, maybe not, but could still take years. If they exit the UK before the UK exits the EU, then all they're doing is starting that process a bit earlier. I'd have thought they would prefer to have a few more facts before making a decision.

So before holding any referendums for their independence, UK needs a new PM (presumably via a Conservative leadership election to replace Cameron, since Conservatives still have a parliamentary majority). That PM then needs to negotiate an exit with the EU via Article 50. Once it's clearer what the UK exit is going to look like, then NI and Scotland can hold their referendums with a bit more information to play with. And by the time that happens we should have a clearer idea of what damage Brexit has caused to the EU and whether it's going to carry on as before, reform or break up.

If the EU looks like surviving in anything like it's current state then Scotland will leave UK unless the EU says they don't want them. NI is harder to call, they may have 3 options - stay in UK, leave and apply to the EU in their own right, or leave and join the EU by uniting with Republic of Ireland. That would be fascinating.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the well thought out analysis Cartsman.

So there is a distinct possibility that in 10 years the UK may be smaller (possibly down to England & Wales), with EU neighbors not just to the south and east but to the north and west as well.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Jun 24, 16 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im betting one thing. To spite england they agree to fast track scotland

I dont believe that the conservatives will be able to carry out the mandate beyond a replacement for cameron

I think they go to general election. Still be tory PM but validated through election.

Off we go to brussels and see who's left to talk to after theyve put out fires everywhere else. Three months is long enouhh for stuff to get stirred up

At least corbyns prob dead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of things that need to fall in to place for both those to happen. Not least of which is westminster consent.

The irish one will be fascinating because residents of NI who are BRitish are also entitled automatically to irish passports
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way they can call a general election before 2020 is if a parliamentary majority votes for it. Not impossible, but if the Conservatives can hold together they don't need to go back to the electorate. They can argue that they had a mandate to call the referendum, and that the referendum now gives them a mandate to negotiate the exit.

Agree that Corbyn is probably finished, I actually thought his few interventions in the referendum were pretty well thought through, but by mainly standing on the sidelines he let down his party and a lot of his voters. The whole reason we've exited is that people's genuine concerns about immigration and the EU have been ignored or painted as racist for decades, leaving people feeling they had no choice but to hit the big red button. I think he gets that, but he was nowhere near forthright enough in saying so.

Hope that Farage is finished as well, since there is no longer a need for UKIP. His victory speech was appalling and graceless. Having made this decision we need politicians on both sides to pull together and focus on negotiating a deal, he's too divisive to be a part of that and needs to fade quietly into obscurity. I still hold out hope that once the dust settles that common sense will prevail and we'll be allowed to negotiate some bilateral agreements with the EU within a sensible timeframe (i.e. not the "at least 7 years" that is currently being quoted). My early impressions are that the EU politicians like Tusk and Juncker are being pretty bullish and saying there'll be no special treatment, UK has to go ASAP, but that the national politicians like Merkel and even Hollande are taking a softer line at least for now.

Fun times, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Farage was exactly what we expected of him. Classless. Won without any shots being fired. Fu&cing idiot.

I think Merkel and hollande may jointly point out that the five presidents whilst they may not serve at our pleasure they are funded by us and the European economies will not take a beating just so they can give the uk a beating

I know they can succession plan, but we're talking about having to whip a parliamentary majority on a subject most disagree with. They have a majority of 12. Can we see 12 rebelling?

I think for all the talk. The blind panic will compell a deal and it won't a be on their terms
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would the EU be willing to take on 2 more economies that are going to struggle to carry their own weight? I don't know a lot about the situation in the UK, but I did hear from some locals there that Scotland, for the most part, doesn't have the ability to stand on it's own economically even if they had their own currency?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority disagreed with exit, but that ship has already sailed, unless they want to try and ignore the referendum result in which case the shit really will hit the fan. Now the public has decided we're exiting, I don't really see any reason why they can't work together on getting the best outcome from that process, whether or not they agree that it's a process we should be going through. Besides, you're ignoring that they would need a majority in order to trigger a general election anyway. Can't see them getting unanimity around that, and can't see Labour rushing to go into a general election given the state they're in right now.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Welsh, Scots and Nordie attitude to Brexit? [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ECE wrote:
Why would the EU be willing to take on 2 more economies that are going to struggle to carry their own weight? I don't know a lot about the situation in the UK, but I did hear from some locals there that Scotland, for the most part, doesn't have the ability to stand on it's own economically even if they had their own currency?

I doubt it would, as I said above Scotland don't really have a quick route into the EU as things stand. They're either out as part of the UK, or they're out on their own and going through a potentially lengthy process to get in. Scotland has the potential to stand on it's own, but not clear how they would transition to that point without a lot of help to prevent money, skills and businesses from leaving the country.

NI might just have the option of getting back into the EU via unification with Republic of Ireland, similar to how East Germany came straight into the EU following reunification. No idea if public opinion makes that a credible option right now, I'd guess things need to settle down a bit first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
already announced - all in the other thread

sturgeon has announced the intention to prep legislation for second ref on independence

Northern Ireland - Martin McGuinnis has said the same under the good friday agreement

Welsh - want independence - turns out they hate the EU more than the english on this occasion #ironic

everything is in other thread

Don't discount the Welsh attitudes being tied to a feeling of pride based on Euro 2016.
Quote Reply