Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: School me on the straw man [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:

He's actually a nice guy and I like him. He's just a bit of a Neanderthal. He also believes that his wife should submit to his authority as a man. He has the final say on all decisions because women are irrational. Oh and the bible tells him so.

Those two things don't really go hand in hand.

Why not? Just because the notion is outdated and seems silly doesn't mean you can't believe it and still be nice. I mean, entire generations of people felt that way.

Not really sure how one could be "nice" to women while simultaneously thinking they should submit to their authority because they are deemed irrational. Maybe he is polite in their presence, I don't know. I just don't think this mindset is compatible with being a "nice person" especially in this day in age.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

BTW, "equal" usually means the woman runs the show.

Can't argue with that!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

BTW, "marriage" usually means the woman runs the show.

FIFY

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Punching another man in the ball sack could be construed as a homosexual act. Unless it's the straw man's ball sack?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
MJuric wrote:
So he says that homosexuality is just an urge that you choose to act on. Like pedophilia.

I reply: "Are you really equating homosexuality with pedophilia?"

And he says "Nice straw man..."

Ok Part 1. Is that a straw man?

Yes and no. If you were honestly asking the question for clarification then no, it was a question of clarification. If you were posing the statement of "I can't believe you are equating pedophilia and homosexuality" in a question form then yes it would be a strawman.

That being said asking for clarification seems pretty obvious because without further context he is equating the two. Maybe he's just equating the two in the sense that both are urges or maybe he is saying they are the same thing...which needs clarification.

I was giving him the chance to say "No, that is not what I am saying". And then explain what he was saying because I certainly took it as that.

MJuric wrote:
Part 2. And is it really a straw man if you agree with what I just said?

No, if after the clarification, which "But yes" was, then no you just re-iterated his argument. In order for it to be a strawman argument you have to be making an argument like what he was making but not the same argument. Strawman is essentially creating an argument not being made by your opponent and then proving that argument wrong while not dealing with the argument being made by your opponent.

Basically when he agreed that he did equate the two I don't see how that is in any way a straw man since he FUCKING AGREED WITH WHAT I SAID!!! I wanted to punch him in the ballsack.

I look at people who do that differently. That tactic has been used a lot, talk about homosexuality, pedophilia or bestiality all together. "If we allow gay marriage and sex then what keeps people from having sex with their dog?"

Then you call it out and they bitch and moan that you are using a straw man because they never equated the two. Well, maybe they didn't do so explicitly, but they certainly wanted to put that thought in your head so you could do it on your own. Let's call this form of argument Plausible Strawmanability.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:

He's actually a nice guy and I like him. He's just a bit of a Neanderthal. He also believes that his wife should submit to his authority as a man. He has the final say on all decisions because women are irrational. Oh and the bible tells him so.

Those two things don't really go hand in hand.

Why not? Just because the notion is outdated and seems silly doesn't mean you can't believe it and still be nice. I mean, entire generations of people felt that way.

He's about 15 years older than me and revered his father who definitely had this mentality. I find it funny that we're really not that far apart in age but he just seems like a total dinosaur to me.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:
MJuric wrote:
So he says that homosexuality is just an urge that you choose to act on. Like pedophilia.

Yes and no. If you were honestly asking the question for clarification then no, it was a question of clarification. If you were posing the statement of "I can't believe you are equating pedophilia and homosexuality" in a question form then yes it would be a strawman.

That being said asking for clarification seems pretty obvious because without further context he is equating the two. Maybe he's just equating the two in the sense that both are urges or maybe he is saying they are the same thing...which needs clarification.

I was giving him the chance to say "No, that is not what I am saying". And then explain what he was saying because I certainly took it as that.

MJuric wrote:

No, if after the clarification, which "But yes" was, then no you just re-iterated his argument. In order for it to be a strawman argument you have to be making an argument like what he was making but not the same argument. Strawman is essentially creating an argument not being made by your opponent and then proving that argument wrong while not dealing with the argument being made by your opponent.

Basically when he agreed that he did equate the two I don't see how that is in any way a straw man since he FUCKING AGREED WITH WHAT I SAID!!! I wanted to punch him in the ballsack.

I look at people who do that differently. That tactic has been used a lot, talk about homosexuality, pedophilia or bestiality all together. "If we allow gay marriage and sex then what keeps people from having sex with their dog?"

Then you call it out and they bitch and moan that you are using a straw man because they never equated the two. Well, maybe they didn't do so explicitly, but they certainly wanted to put that thought in your head so you could do it on your own. Let's call this form of argument Plausible Strawmanability.

That's not a strawman either.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would depend entirely on what the intention is and where the argument goes from there. At this point in the discussion you are trying to clarify his position. Its not clear whether or not he is equating the two. It appears, at this point, that he's only equating one aspect of the two, but again, it would depend on what his purpose was for bringing up that point.

When some people argue, they will attempt to take the aspects that are similar, but then use that to compare the whole. "Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an atheist just like Stalin," is not equating the two. Its only comparing their religious beliefs. "Therefore we should be concerned about Tyson being tyranical." Okay, at this point, it looks like he his erroneously equating the two but only because one aspect is the same.

It sounds like the guy is trying to "have his cake and eat it too." He wants to not equate the two so that you can't debunk the argument, but at the same time equate the two so that he can make his point. "Nice straw man......but yes...."

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For what it's worth Pedophilia, homosexuality, bestiality etc are in fact all the same. They are sexual preferences....but so is heterosexuality. They are indeed "Urges"...driven by genetics in most cases.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy pretty much nailed what the guy was trying to say. That they are both urges that you choose to either act on or not. And since he believes that its a sin and that a sin is a sin, it's really no different from pedophilia. The only difference being consent with the other party.

A while back he said that you don't get to pick and choose which Bible verses are literal and which are to be ignored.

I am certain that he believe the following...

“When a woman has a discharge, and the discharge in her body is blood, she shall be in her menstrual impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening. And everything on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean. Everything also on which she sits shall be unclean. And whoever touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. And whoever touches anything on which she sits shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. Whether it is the bed or anything on which she sits, when he touches it he shall be unclean until the evening. .

Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that. I also get that there are massive differences between pedophilia and homosexuality.

Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:
MJuric wrote:

MJuric wrote:

That's not a strawman either.

No, the straw man claim is what BLep thought this guy was going to do. When you say they equated the two and they say they never did.

The idea is that you are induced into making a straw man argument that people are equating the two when no one ever did that and that equating them is bad when no one is actually equating the two. But they dance right up to the edge so they can claim they didn't equate the two.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:
If sexual attraction is "something you're born with" then it's something you're born with whether it's the gay, the hetero, or the pedo.

So, yes, I "equate" homosexuality with pedophilia. I also "equate" it with heterosexuality.

In the sense that you don't choose who you are attracted to, I agree.

Imagine going through life being attracted to kids but also understanding how wrong it would be to act on it. What a horrible life. And you can't even talk to a therapist about it without worrying about being reported. Best to just kill yourself.

I agree with this rationale as well. I believe you are born with certain sexual attractions. So, the way you two are explaining this, I agree.

BLeP's buddy was not using it the same way. He was saying pedo is a sign of a sexual deviant and then accusing homosexuals of also being sexual deviants. I believe that the vast majority of people who "equate" homosexuality to pedo are doing the same thing.

But, if we really break down what it means, yes, in the sense you explain above, you can "equate" homo, hetero, and pedo.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that. I also get that there are massive differences between pedophilia and homosexuality.

But those same massive difference exist between heterosexuality and pedophilia. From a "Sexual" standpoint there really isn't much if any difference". The difference lies in the fact that pedophilia relies on sex with someone that can't consent. A hetero sexual rapist is closer to a pedophile then a homosexual and homosexuals and heterosexuals are closer to each other then the first two.

I think all too often the largest barrier in these discussions is a seeming inability to understand how subjective, genetically and environmentally speaking, and really quite fragile our sexual preferences are.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I had that very argument with a person.

"What next? Marry your dog?"
"So are you suggesting that my brother-in-law's partner is no different than a dog?"
"No. I'm just pointing out that you can't just marry anything you want."
"Yes, but another consenting adult is not merely anything."

Note here where the *actual* straw man is. "Anything you want," is, itself, a straw man argument.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:
If sexual attraction is "something you're born with" then it's something you're born with whether it's the gay, the hetero, or the pedo.

So, yes, I "equate" homosexuality with pedophilia. I also "equate" it with heterosexuality.

In the sense that you don't choose who you are attracted to, I agree.

Imagine going through life being attracted to kids but also understanding how wrong it would be to act on it. What a horrible life. And you can't even talk to a therapist about it without worrying about being reported. Best to just kill yourself.

I agree with this rationale as well. I believe you are born with certain sexual attractions. So, the way you two are explaining this, I agree.

BLeP's buddy was not using it the same way. He was saying pedo is a sign of a sexual deviant and then accusing homosexuals of also being sexual deviants. I believe that the vast majority of people who "equate" homosexuality to pedo are doing the same thing.

But, if we really break down what it means, yes, in the sense you explain above, you can "equate" homo, hetero, and pedo.

Some studies have shown that as much as 5% of the general population are pedophiles. Homosexuals make up 1-3%. So in a sense, homosexuality is more deviant than pedophilia.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are homesexuals really only 1-3%? Wow, with such political support, I would have figured more. It has to be higher. My dad speculated as many as 10-20% are gay or bi (my wording, since he doesn't think Bi-sexuals exist), but then again my dad is a narcissist who thinks his moods and views are overly represented.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
... but then again my dad is a narcissist who thinks his moods and views are overly represented.

Do you even hear yourself type sometimes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some studies have shown that as much as 5% of the general population are pedophiles. Homosexuals make up 1-3%. So in a sense, homosexuality is more deviant than pedophilia.

Which kind of makes sense for two reasons. First we have a rather odd definition of pedophilia. It's based on age rather then whether or not the person the older person is attracted to has actually gone thru puberty or not. So an eighteen year old boy attracted to a post pubescent 12 year old female is actually considered a pedophile by definition. Second, merely guessing here, seems like the genetic switch to push ones age boundaries down would be an easier one to alter then to switch ones gender preferences.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Representive.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
He's about 15 years older than me and revered his father who definitely had this mentality. I find it funny that we're really not that far apart in age but he just seems like a total dinosaur to me.

It's like that w/ wife's stepdad... Technically, he's only about 10yrs older than my MiL, so roughly a half-generation, yet his worldview seems to come from a point even farther back in time than my grandparents. But then I think geography is also a big part of it; he originally grew up in the more rural South & Midwest, so he's doubly out of touch having moved to a large city on the West Coast.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on the straw man [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Representive.

WHOOOOOSH!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Representive.

WHOOOOOSH!!

Epistemic cocoons are comfy and hard to emerge from.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Representive.

WHOOOOOSH!!

I really think Forgie may be missing your point. Too caught up in his Brexalation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
TheForge wrote:
... but then again my dad is a narcissist who thinks his moods and views are overly represented.

Do you even hear yourself type sometimes?

Consider the apple. Consider the tree. Consider the maximum horizontal distance the apple may achieve in falling from said tree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next