Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied
Quote | Reply
I am relieved...

http://money.cnn.com/...eaven-trial-verdict/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

I didn't know they toured together before, interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got around to listening to "Taurus" yesterday....and yes, they are very, very similar, differing really (to my untrained ear) only in the chord progression.

But very, very similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very similar, but glad to hear that the suit was not successful. I was very disappointed when Blurred Lines got sued and had to pay up. There's stealing, and then there's influence. Heck, half the rockabilly songs and half the jazz tunes all sound the same. And don't even get me started on blue grass.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but glad to hear that the suit was not successful

Agreed on that one--this sort of thing has gotten ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think that they did sound similar but not a copy. While they are in court Joni Mitchell should sue them for copying No Quarter from her Woodstock.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was just lame estate lawyers fishing.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was one on the radio the other day that was an Ed Sheeran song and some other one I'd never heard before. They did sound very similar but like the DJ said, there are only so many notes and chords and sequences in which to arrange them

Edit - this is it http://time.com/...-photograph-lawsuit/

Also, the first time I heard that "Stay With Me" song by Sam Smith I thought it sounded like Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down", then Petty (or his record company - I think I heard Petty say he was kind of embarassed by it all) sued over it shortly after.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Jun 23, 16 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I think that they did sound similar but not a copy. While they are in court Joni Mitchell should sue them for copying No Quarter from her Woodstock.

Didn't they settle up years ago with Howlin' Wolf's estate. But that wasn't a chord progression. It was a clear and unquestionable rip off of a song.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, similar but not enough IMO to say they lifted it.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Last edited by: Brian in MA: Jun 23, 16 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, similar but not enough IMO to say they lifted it.

Definitely not a copy but no doubt the styling of it influenced "Stairway", which is I'm sure not exactly the threshold for proving they would owe anyone any money over it. The relationship between the two groups is interesting on top of it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad Zeppelin's past history of lifting others' intellectual property was likely inadmissible.

This case arguably was close, but there are plenty others that were inexcusable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice ice baby.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Ice ice baby.

All right stop
Collaborate and listen

Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere that the song generated 500 million. Copy rights for P and P something like 80 million. I don't know how accurate it is but sure a lot of money at stakes here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Zeppelin had lost the suit, it would have been 100% just desserts...Separate from 'Stairway', way too many songs they claimed credit for were written by other people. No secret these guys were among the worst plagiarists ever..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Very similar, but glad to hear that the suit was not successful. I was very disappointed when Blurred Lines got sued and had to pay up. There's stealing, and then there's influence. Heck, half the rockabilly songs and half the jazz tunes all sound the same. And don't even get me started on blue grass.

Listen again, from 0:45 and than again from 1:38, more than influence for my ears.
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Jun 23, 16 17:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Definitely not a copy but no doubt the styling of it influenced "Stairway", which is I'm sure not exactly the threshold for proving they would owe anyone any money over it. The relationship between the two groups is interesting on top of it all.

Except that Blurred Lines and Marvin Gay's song were completely different with only a ind of "vibe" being similar. I think they lost that one because they said they were intentionally going for a Marvin Gay vibe. Still, if that's the case, then every blue grass band should be able to sue every other blue grass band.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere that the song generated 500 million. Copy rights for P and P something like 80 million. I don't know how accurate it is but sure a lot of money at stakes here. //

Probably right on the big numbers, but you are waaaay wrong on what was at stake. The suit only covered what they made on the song since 2008, around a million or so i heard. And they would have gotten a small % of that, so probably something like a 100k or so. It really was not about the money in the end, the lawyers would have gotten the lion share of that measly award.

I'm glad they won, I heard a note sequence from the 1700's I believe from a classical guy that sounded pretty much the same too. This was about a 10 second rif of an 8 minute song. Court got this one right..

Funny that this was the long sought after Zepplin reunion.. (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first time I came across an Ed Sheeran song midway through, I thought it was Marvin Gaye. Apparently someone else noticed as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSCx16bVYJ4

There's a pretty good writeup on the Zep verdict, and why it was the right decision. Essentially, Zep was influenced by Spirit, who may have been influenced by another artist twenty years prior, who may have been influenced by another composer who lived 350 years ago.

Quote:
If Led Zeppelin ripped off Spirit, then both bands ripped off Granata—and Granata's work is in the public domain, as are any other examples of this musical idea that precede him. So even under the far-too-restrictive set of rules that make up modern copyright law, everyone is free to do as they please with this age-old sequence of sounds.

"if the bar for [proving] copyright infringement gets lower, then the risk of getting sued gets higher—especially in the world of pop, where music tends to be both highly formulaic and highly profitable. Greater risk means higher cost, which means that only the companies with the deepest pockets and the best lawyers can afford to bring new music to market." A loss today would have been a loss for bands with far less cash and influence than Led Zeppelin.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/06/23/copyright-case-against-stairway-to-heave

Edit to add: on a related note, there's no way Paul's Boutique could ever be made today as a result of changes to copyright laws regarding sampling; the cost would be astronomical. I'm all for protecting intellectual property, but there has to be some leeway for creative reimagining of existing work.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jun 23, 16 22:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Exactly. Plus, why did these people wait half a decade to sue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

See "Puff Daddy" and "The 90's" =).

Do modern country artists have to pay all other country artists when they release their new song that sounds identical to all previous modern country songs?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Stairway to Heaven ruled not copied [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
There was one on the radio the other day that was an Ed Sheeran song and some other one I'd never heard before. They did sound very similar but like the DJ said, there are only so many notes and chords and sequences in which to arrange them

I sat through a performance by a pianists years ago who played songs from Beethoven to modern day. He was demonstrating all songs are essentially copies of each other because as you pointed out there's only so many notes.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some years ago, Keith Richards' daughter was listening to a new song about to be released by the Rolling Stones, and noticed that part of it sounded the same as a KD Lang song. The Stones almost certainly had never heard that song. But when this was called to their attention and they listened to it, what do you think they did? They contacted KD Lang, explained to her what had happened, gave her songwriting credit when the song was finally released, and shared royalties with her.

So, this can be done with integrity and class. After Led Zeppelin made $>500M on Stairway, why not make a similar offer to Spirit?

Knowing that Zep toured with Spirit, and at one time played another Spirit song in their set (because they liked the bass line) and after listening to Taurus, it is absolutely clear that they had heard this song. Taurus uses woodwinds, acoustic, 12-string instrumentation. What are the odds that Page and Plant coincidentally wrote a song that uses the same instrumentation (without precedent elsewhere in Zep's repertoire) and uses EXACTLY the same A minor arpeggio, chords and melody?

I'm not talking about the legalities -- I have no clue. But CLEARLY they lifted the song. Why not man up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if I live two more life times, I still don’t want to hear that song again.

sometimes
Quote Reply