Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Linkedin - Level of Detail??
Quote | Reply
I've finally gotten around to updating my LinkedIn profile.

Looking at other profiles, I've seen those with lots of detail (much more than in a resume) & those with only 2-3 sentences for each work description. Is there a preferred level of detail? I'm not actively looking for another job, but may be in the near future.

Thanks.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Linkedin - Level of Detail?? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you use it for. I use it for marketing, so, it is a "brag wall." I highlight my years of experience, level of expertise, and some highlights of big cases. But, it does not look like a resume. I don't go into detail about past positions and education. Most people don't care (in my case, YMMV).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Linkedin - Level of Detail?? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh.

I've been leaning in the direction of "most people don't care" lately.

Thanks for the info.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impossible is Nothing!!!!!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LinkedIn was just purchased by Microsoft so it will go down the toilet pretty soon.

FWIW I have a fair amount of detail on my profile because I was looking for a job. Now that I found said job, I haven't changed much in the past 18 months or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I just updated mine the other day. I've never really used it but had an account so I put on my job that I got in January. Now I'm getting people congratulating me on my new job, 5 months after I started.

I didn't put much information on my job, just a general idea of what I do. If there are other people in similar jobs, they would know what I do.

I'm not sure why I am on it to be honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Linkedin - Level of Detail?? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Funny, I just updated mine the other day. I've never really used it but had an account so I put on my job that I got in January. Now I'm getting people congratulating me on my new job, 5 months after I started.

I didn't put much information on my job, just a general idea of what I do. If there are other people in similar jobs, they would know what I do.

I'm not sure why I am on it to be honest.

The user experience of LinkedIn is horrible. I changed my settings to receive no alerts and also NOT to notify people of work anniversaries or any of that other BS. The whole social aspect of LinkedIn with people posting is just weird and a poor attempt of them to attract people on a daily basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Linkedin - Level of Detail?? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The user experience of LinkedIn is horrible. I changed my settings to receive no alerts and also NOT to notify people of work anniversaries or any of that other BS.

You are missing out then.

Apparently, after receiving congratulatory notes on my new (5-month old) job, someone just endorsed me for a skill. The fact that I have never actually done anything remotely to deserve that endorsement is beside the point. It must be true, it's on LinkedIn.

I can see new and much better job offers flowing in any second now.

Quote Reply
Re: Linkedin - Level of Detail?? [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ECE wrote:
LinkedIn was just purchased by Microsoft so it will go down the toilet pretty soon.

FWIW I have a fair amount of detail on my profile because I was looking for a job. Now that I found said job, I haven't changed much in the past 18 months or so.
It is already in the toilet. They aren't relevant. They've been struggling. There are some ethical concerns such as they have been caught downloading address books from user's smartphones and then everyone in the address book receives the "connect on linked in" e-mails unbeknownst to the sender. Not cool.

MS will probably attempt to turn it into their own social media platform, geared toward business because MS still has a lockhold on businesses with Office and Windows. They may integrate the login with live/passport/msn/outlook/whatever.the.hell.they.are.calling.it.this.morning in the short term and update the front end looks with their branding. Not sure what they'd do long term. We'll see.

Oh yeah. Suckers. Linked-in isn't worth 1 billion let alone 26.
Quote Reply
Re: Linkedin - Level of Detail?? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having worked in executive search for the previous 11 years of my career I can tell you LinkedIn is a disrupter in that space. There are few ethics in recruiting, so that just lends itself well to the industry, it really is an eat what you kill business.
Quote Reply
Re: Linkedin - Level of Detail?? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
It is already in the toilet. They aren't relevant.

If this is what you think, then you're not using it correctly.

For B2B, we're struggling to find anything as close to relevant as LinkedIn is right now.

If you're just posting a profile, then you're not going to get much further than an online resume / business card.

If you publish on LinkedIn, then you'll establish yourself as an expert and drive your value up and / or sell more stuff.

I'm guessing you've published a total of "zero" on LinkedIn to date?

There's a big difference between being on stage giving the speech versus sitting in the audience listening to the speech. You're both in the same room but not even close to the same world.
Quote Reply