Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked
Quote | Reply
now it will be an even bigger theme in the Clinton - Trump debate

http://www.nytimes.com/...av=top-news&_r=0
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obama getting bitch slapped again.

Maybe now he understands the meaning of the word illegal.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the problem though. This really shouldn't be a close decision. Obviously I have a problem with executive authority being expanded. But regardless of your view, I would think the courts should be able to come up with close to a consensus on this one way or another. Yet here we have another controversial case split on ideological lines I assume. In fact in willing to bet Sotomayor sided with the pro executive authority side.

This is why I have lost faith in the courts. And why it is just another political organization and should be treated as such.

This is why anybody who claims to be a republican must vote for trump. Garland being on that court would have had negative consequences.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that is pretty sad.

Ballwashers these liberal 'judges' or whatever you want to call them.

All gor the cause.

Separation of powers has no meaning to them unless it suits their agenda.

Biased and pathetic.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chainpin wrote:
Yeah that is pretty sad.

All gor the cause.

Biased and pathetic.

As opposed to conservative judges who are completely unbiased...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
chainpin wrote:
Yeah that is pretty sad.

All gor the cause.

Biased and pathetic.

Ballwasher!
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
BLeP wrote:
chainpin wrote:
Yeah that is pretty sad.

All gor the cause.

Biased and pathetic.

Ballwasher!

Biased toward the Constitution---the worst kind!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Here is the problem though. This really shouldn't be a close decision. Obviously I have a problem with executive authority being expanded. But regardless of your view, I would think the courts should be able to come up with close to a consensus on this one way or another. Yet here we have another controversial case split on ideological lines I assume. In fact in willing to bet Sotomayor sided with the pro executive authority side.

This is why I have lost faith in the courts. And why it is just another political organization and should be treated as such.

This is why anybody who claims to be a republican must vote for trump. Garland being on that court would have had negative consequences.

Only other split decision was the Public Unions rulings back in March. But I agree that some ruling are decided based along political/ideological lines.
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the odds Obama obeys the court?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
This is why anybody who claims to not be a liberal leftist must vote for trump. Garland being on that court would have had negative consequences.

FIFY

And don't be placing all the burden on Republicans. The libertarians and self-identified independents need to do their part.
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
What are the odds Obama obeys the court?

Well, it's full throttle legacy time now..
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
chainpin wrote:
Yeah that is pretty sad.

All gor the cause.

Biased and pathetic.

Yeah, I thought Forge was on something when he said this, "Here is the problem though. This really shouldn't be a close decision. Obviously I have a problem with executive authority being expanded. But regardless of your view, I would think the courts should be able to come up with close to a consensus on this one way or another. Yet here we have another controversial case split on ideological lines I assume."

Then he and Chainpin decided that it was only liberals that did this. I agree that it is a problem that you can know ahead of time what side justices will come down on based on what the law they are ruling on is trying to do. Even if the underlying questions are the same. But it is ridiculous to think that one political bent has a monopoly on this behavior.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh no. I was clear that I think a simple legal mandate should be consistently viewed by legal experts regardless of ideology. But I suspect Sotomayor proved again that ideology trumped law.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other words, it should have been all or 7 against.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Uh no. I was clear that I think a simple legal mandate should be consistently viewed by legal experts regardless of ideology. But I suspect Sotomayor proved again that ideology trumped law.

It was a 4-4 deadlock. I'm not sure why you're specifically piling on Justice Sotomayor.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
TheForge wrote:

It was a 4-4 deadlock. I'm not sure why you're specifically piling on Justice Sotomayor.
-
It seems to be widely accepted that this fell along partisan lines, that means if Scalia was there, it would have still gone down, but with more authority. I do find it interesting that Obama and Clinton comments indicate Garland would have been a reliable vote for the president's unilateral action.
Quote Reply
Re: Obama's Immigration Plan Blocked [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because in the last two weeks she had been a dissent in two different cases an overheating majority ruled on. In one case she even said sometimes the right thing trumps law. So I do not believe she interprets law objectively. By the way, both cases involved Latino issues, specifically PR.

I also realize it was deadlocked. That is the point of my post. If judges claim to be fair and impartial, we wouldn't see so many controversial cases so co close. On something like this, regarless of my belief, I would think the law and constitution are quite clear. So as legal experts they would be in agreement. But since Sotomayor has already said the right thing trumps law, I doubt she would have voted against any sort of loosening of immigration laws if the whole court sided one way.

Like I said, I lost faith in the court.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Byut when you say this, "This is why anybody who claims to be a republican must vote for trump. Garland being on that court would have had negative consequences."

It just means that those actions conservatives like will be upheld. But I agree with you, it is disturbing that on all of these type of issues you can tell before the case is argued how most of the justices will vote. It doesn't matter that the actual constitutional challenge is the same, what matters is what the law in question is trying to do. I doubt this is actually a new problem though.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it is a realization that the courts are political and subject to ideological interpretation. So I would rather the courts rule in favor of my ideology.

In other words, if the system is broken and impossible to fix, might as well make sure my rights are preserved.

A liberal leaning court is likely to rule against laws I favor. 2nd Amendment, limits to executive power, states rights, religious freedom, etc.

A conservative court also attacks things I care about, but to a much lesser extent. Sure they may favor limits to abortion, but they will never make it illegal, they may go too far with religious freedom, and yes like dems they favor more gov't, but to a much lesser extent.

If we found more agreement on controversial issues like this one, one way or another, I would feel better about dems picking judges.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, it isn't a new problem. We just have a more informed electorate and access to information. So the illusion of impartiality is gone.

Quote Reply