Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which 1911 45acp?
Quote | Reply
which 1911?

Previously I believe there was a thread mentioning s&W 1911 e-series being a good choice. other suggestions?

There are standard e-series and also Scandium. What is advantage of Scandium?
Quote Reply
Re: Which 1911 45acp? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy an 80% and do it yourself. They are almost all the same But you will
Probably do a better job than the cheapos.

Scandium is lighter. Not worth it unless it will be your carry gun...which I don't recommend. Weight is your friend with larger calibers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the purpose of it. I smith 1911s and like stal said, you can build a nice one you can call your own. But the trick to a 1911 is a balance of reliability and accuracy. Unlike most mass produced guns, there is no such thing as a drop in part for a 1911. So it isn't something you can just add a part to improve. So if you buy one, but one hat fits your purpose. I'm not a fan of 1911s with external extractors. Not for any particular functional reason, but the aesthetics. Hat is why there S&w models are not my choice. Sig 1911 are different. The far series is as close to a drop in 1911 style gun as you will find, but it isn't a true 1911. Sig came out with a true 1911 but I do t know anything about them. My speciality is Ed Browns and Springfield. Mostly because I used Ed brown parts for my custom work. Occasionally I will use Wilson combat parts if I can or find Ed brown. Stock Wilson or Ed Brown guns are that balance of reliability and accuracy but cost 2k minimum. The sprinter Range officer is pretty good but has those god awful adjustable sights. Again an aesthetic issue with me.

If I were to buy another 1911, it would be a TRP. That the gun the FBI HRT uses and each one is built with the assumption it may go to the FBI. At least that is what the marketing stuff says. Haha.

But their basic mill spec models serve me well before I customize them,
I would imagine the TRP would be everything you can ask for.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can buy a new Ed Brown 1911 for $2k, jump on it immediately as it's an incredible deal. They start closer to $3k without any options.

All depends upon your budget and use requirements. I own several semi-custom and full-house custom 1911's. I have one Les Baer but wouldn't buy another. After 2,000+ rounds you still couldn't press check the thing (which is a requirement for me) - reliable and accurate but stupid, stupid tight. He just doesn't setup a 1911 like most folks. It promptly went off to a gunsmith (also a FBI HRT member) who made it right for me.

I can take or leave Wilson, Nighthawk and the lot. Nice, but they do little for me as a semi-custom at their price point. Forge is right, Brown and Wilson make good parts.

If it were me, I'd pick up a blued 70 series Colt, shoot the piss out of it, and then send it off to a gunsmith with an excellent reputation (there are many) who can make it into whatever you want. You won't be too far over the base price of a semi-custom pistol at that point, but you'll have to wait a long while for a good 'smith.

While it's true they are not too hard to work on as far as part fitting goes, if you're not comfortable with using files, jigs and stones you may very well end up with a dangerous paperweight when it comes to the fire control parts. Best to know what you don't know here. That said, there are quasi drop-in options that don't require too much heavy lifting. You will need to get comfortable doing routine maintenance by yourself: fitting extractors, changing springs, etc. Not hard just takes some dedication to learning the platform. Get the Jerry Kuhnhausen books.

Try 1911forum.com for opinions on various mfg. you are considering. Lots of fanboys but some good info to be had there. For a good look at what custom smiths are doing these days check http://forum.ltwguns.com/ some incredibly gifted folks post there.
Last edited by: gotsand: Jun 23, 16 5:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S&W 1911 e-series. My personal favorite.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally love my Wilson Combat Professional. I really should have gotten the aluminum model, but at the time, I wanted the more durable steel.

Really a great pistol.

twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: Which 1911 45acp? [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is so special about the Wilson Combat? I love the look, love the feel, and love the styling. But, I have never owned or fired one. So, I ask out of ignorance. Reviews on this are nearly uniformly positive, but I want to hear from someone who actually owns one. What makes it so special?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Which 1911 45acp? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA,

First - the workmanship is second to none. Nothing beats a 1911 trigger in general and with my Wilson - the trigger has zero travel with a nice crisp release. The thumb safety has that same crisp positive engagement as well.

Second - the customer service is excellent. The warranty, which is lifetime, is better than most. I called them just the other day as after about 5,000 rounds, the rounds aren't ejecting properly, they immediately said to just send it in and they'll take care of it. This was not my experience with Ed Brown - another reputable semi-custom shop. I had nothing but hassle from them.

Those two things together, to me, make them the go-to manufacturer. I found Ed Browns to be of comparable fit/finish, but when I had problems, they were not customer service oriented so Wilson gets the nod. There are others out there as well, Les Baer for example, that might be a little more accurate, but you pay a little in reliability if you are in less than ideal conditions.

It's tough to go wrong with any of the top brands, but I've found Wilson to be close to the top for those reasons.

twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: Which 1911 45acp? [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. It is definitely on my list. I have Sig Sauer 1911, which I like, but honestly got it b/c it is the POW/MIA version. For me, it was more show than go. I have a S&W 1911 e-series which is much, much more refined than the Sig. It is "tighter" and just feels better. But, when I pick up a Wilson Combat it just feels "elite" for lack of a better word. Like I said, I have never been able to fire one, but it sure feels good in the hand. Time to start tucking away money in the gun fund ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Thanks for the info. It is definitely on my list. I have Sig Sauer 1911, which I like, but honestly got it b/c it is the POW/MIA version. For me, it was more show than go. I have a S&W 1911 e-series which is much, much more refined than the Sig. It is "tighter" and just feels better. But, when I pick up a Wilson Combat it just feels "elite" for lack of a better word. Like I said, I have never been able to fire one, but it sure feels good in the hand. Time to start tucking away money in the gun fund ...

If you ever get down to Houston, let me know, we'll take it out and put some rounds through it - it is a joy to shoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've shot several Wilson 1911's in various classes. Fit and finish always seem to be top notch, and they are both reliable and accurate. Not much to complain about from the perspective of an owner. Certainly not special given the large number of 1911 shops out there. I think it boils down to the fact that many folks who drop $3-4k+ on a pistol become defensive about it being 'the best', and that goes double for internet forums.

To me, Wilson's guns seem very well marketed but overpriced (particularly the shotguns). I just don't find anything interesting about his 1911 offerings until his price approaches or exceeds $4k, which is quite near full-house custom territory - and I'd still have to swap out the Wilson sights for Heinies.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 1911 45acp? [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
I've shot several Wilson 1911's in various classes. Fit and finish always seem to be top notch, and they are both reliable and accurate. Not much to complain about from the perspective of an owner. Certainly not special given the large number of 1911 shops out there. I think it boils down to the fact that many folks who drop $3-4k+ on a pistol become defensive about it being 'the best', and that goes double for internet forums.

To me, Wilson's guns seem very well marketed but overpriced (particularly the shotguns). I just don't find anything interesting about his 1911 offerings until his price approaches or exceeds $4k, which is quite near full-house custom territory - and I'd still have to swap out the Wilson sights for Heinies.

Agree - don't see shelling out (pun intended) that much for a shotgun. I got my Wilson several years ago when they were "only" $2,500 and a 4 week waiting list so it was a much easier sell.

Are they better finished than the lower priced options? Yes. Is it worth it? Only the buyer can answer that question, but if you're in that range, you'd be hard-pressed to find better.

twomarks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the recommendation for the E Series. I love mine. I chose the skandium frame for the weight savings and the contrasting stainless slide for looks. It's a beautiful piece. This is mine.

Greg

So, what happened to my attachment ...?

Looks like I will have to compress the file or something, says it's over 250kb.

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Last edited by: gregtryin: Jun 23, 16 16:14
Quote Reply