Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Training/Racing in Boulder CO? [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Txt me and I can connect you with her. She specializes in relos. My phone: 425-985-5568
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Racing in Boulder CO? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having moved to Boulder in October from Los Angeles, I will say that the winters are not that bad. It definitely snows, but it's always super short-lived. The snow melts in 2-3 days max, while also drying out really quickly. There are certainly cold stretches of 10-30 degrees, but they are followed by 4-5 day stretches of 50-65 degrees. The biggest problem with the winter is the wind off of the front-range, it can get dangerous at times. The huge gusts/crosswinds can make for some pretty close calls, but I guess those crosswinds help prep for Kona (if that's the goal). The running trails is just awesome, Cottonwood trail is a staple.

The whole area inside of Superior is relatively small. You could live in Boulder, Lafayette, Longmont, Niwot, Gunbarrel, and any other number of close towns and you wouldn't really notice the difference. Chances are on a bike ride you'll pass through every one of the towns listed above.

It's a really nice place with some pretty nice people. The elevation is a nice bonus. If you do a lot of destination/traveling for races, the elevation training will pay off. I have yet to do a race at sea level after living here, but I have to think I'll impress myself. When I went home for Christmas I was busting out 5:40 miles after spending weeks struggling to break 7 in Boulder.

It's a really beautiful place, I'd give it a try.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Racing in Boulder CO? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a) what are the winters like? Will I be stuck on my trainer during the winter months, or are outdoor rides still feasible?

Winter is awesome. You should easily find great riding all the way through Jan. Feb-March might be your toughest months because they're the snowiest, but it can easily be 60-70 in Dec/Jan. As others have said, CO has a weird misperception of being covered in snow all winter long and nothing could be further from the truth.

b) what is the local race calendar like? I'm aware of the IM and 70.3 but I'm more of an oly-distance guy.

There's a sprint or Oly almost every weekend within 2hr driving distances May - October. You'll have your pick of races. But be prepared to get beat. Pros in the making live here for a reason.

c) what are the best local tri clubs? I'm a semi-competitive triathlete - top 30% AGer with the occasional podium. Social side as important as the training!

I don't belong to a tri club, but everyone I know in Rocky Mountain Tri Club is cool and has a ton of fun. And there are some serious killers in there.

Come on out and have fun with us in the mountains! Good luck with the move!
Quote Reply

Prev Next