Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

YOGA....
Quote | Reply
Hey!

Anyone out here doing YOGA, as a complement to regular triathlon training?

I´m starting to enjoy doing a bit of Yoga, after learning some moves from my gf, and was wondering if there are any benefits from doing this as part of a regular triathlon training routine.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do yoga at lunch time on mondays. My work brings in an instructor from a local yoga studio.

I think its good for increasing flexibility and helping with recovery. Its also helps me relax and relieve stress. I always feel better after yoga.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do something very much like Yoga ... well, it's like Yoga in a way that Scrambled Eggs are like Crème brûlée

Y'know ... as a Surfer, I should like Yoga ... I mean it's all about Balance and slowness and calm and so on; which is kinda how I am, really ... but once I get a DVD on or something OnDemand and I try it ... I'm all like: "Okay, I can touch my toes. Great! Can we move on here? I haven't got all day! What's next? Move it people!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It certainly has lots of fans. I've tried it. S'ok. But until it becomes (a) free, and (b) something done at my convenience I'm good with stretching and massage in my living room in front of the tube.
Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it 3 times a week through the months of Nov & Dec last year.

The block of 9 weeks at three times a week was long enough and consistent enough. It seemed to help with flexibility, strength and balance.

Let's be honest though- it's not going to do much to help with triathlon. And if you do it less than 2-3 times a week- it won't do much at all.

It seems like there is a lot of cross training, strength work, etc. going on.
Yet most people seem to find it hard to fit in a minimum amount of swim/bike/run.

Being a good swim/bike/runner makes one a great all round athlete.

Being a bad swim/bike/runner/cross trainer makes one a great all round flake.
Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did yoga once. Hot yoga. I felt like I was doing wall sits on the surface of the f*cking sun. It was terrible. On top of that - due to the training in the heat - I started to sweat buckets 10 seconds into this 1.5 hour death stretch.

So I let my girlfriend do Yoga - because when it comes time to get rewarded for cleaning the kitchen - that is all that matters - is that she is flexible. Not me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have started doing yoga 2x a week. It has helped me with some IT band flair ups. My legs are usually roasted from training when going in to a session and I feel like it helps with leg strength in a different way than straight up running and biking. I would say if you have a quality instructor it will help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just started doing yoga within the past couple of months

I think it is helping with my inflexible hips and ankles.

A nice easy Hatha yoga is a great rest day activity (especially if you have any flexibility, IT band, or core strength deficiencies)

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... I do believe that strength training and stretching are a must, if you want to have durability. If you want to avoid crashing and burning after a couple of seasons.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
I did yoga once. Hot yoga.

I let my girlfriend do Yoga - because when it comes time to get rewarded for cleaning the kitchen - that is all that matters - is that she is flexible. Not me.

That's HOT

Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
It certainly has lots of fans. I've tried it. S'ok. But until it becomes (a) free, and (b) something done at my convenience I'm good with stretching and massage in my living room in front of the tube.

This is where I ended up.

Everybody told me, "You should do yoga. You should do yoga."

Fine. I'll check it out. Holy hell...$135 a month for "unlimited" classes, of which I'd probably make 1, maybe 2, a week max.

For $135 a month, I better be getting a little Active Release Technique, if you know what I mean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do YOGA and I would disagree with the comment about it not really helping out with triathlon much. I bought the DVD called "The Athlete's Guide to Yoga" which has moves that focus on strengthening key muscle groups that are important for stability. I've had issues these last several years with my ITB and this winter I've decided to include this workout at least once a week in my training. This is the first year where I seem to have managed to finish a race without flaring up the ITB. The warrior poses and lunges really work the glutes, knees, and hips, which are the route of all ITB issues. I think it is a great addition to toss into training.
Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doyogawithme.com is free and has numerous videos. I do the "rise and shine" a lot as it's 30 minutes and has a mix of core and stretching. Also do one for sciatic relief and one titled deep release for hips, hamstring and lower back.
Last edited by: Fish1923: Jun 23, 16 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do yoga 3x per week mainly for flexibility and recovery purposes. I use the Spinervals/Flexible Warrior 3.0 - Flexibility for Swim, Bike, Run video. It's basically four 15-20 minute routines (Energy, Swim, Bike, Run).

http://www.spinervals.com/...tal__On_Demand_2.cfm

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I had more time to do it regularly. During the winter I try for twice a week but during the warm months if I can get in once a week I'm doing good. Great for body and mind. Keeps me long, loose and strong in different ways from regular training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

Not enough time to for s/b/r so adding something else has less value than adding more s/b/r.

Now if you have unlimited time - I'm sure it can't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done yoga, but I hate it. It's boring, droning pseudo religious and time consuming.

But, it works.
Even just once a week it showed me where I was weak and loosened up my hips for a better stride.
It might even help in terms of bike positioning. Did for me.
It's a no brainer for the rest day.
But I still hate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, talking about a generic "yoga" isnt really useful. As it is practiced, "yoga" is anything from a recovery activity to another hard workout. So what you get from it depends largely on the type you are doing.

Second, it wont help your S-B-R, for the same reasons that increased flexibility, increased strength, or more core work wont improve your S-B-R either.

Finally, if you want to do it anyway, and believe deep down in your heart of hearts that it makes you faster and more injury resistant, then tear it up. Confidence in your program is crucial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will disagree with a lot of the comments about how yoga will not help your swim/bike/run. I do Functional Movement Screening as part of my bike fit process and as a standalone service. FMS is not perfect, but it's interesting. The basic premise is that for us to be able to perform to our potential and avoid injury, we need to be able to move well.

As athletes, we tend to ask ourselves "what can I do to be better at my sport?", and the first and most obvious answer is to train specifically for it - to get stronger through specificity. To perform well as a human, we have to have an appropriate amount of flexibility, stability, and strength, and strength is dependent on a solid base of stability and flexibility. Swim, bike, and run can be time-consuming and being able to do any kind of cross-training becomes a matter of time management and if time spent doing something else is going to get you the same gains that you can get by focusing on sport-specific training. Will 1 hour of yoga be as effective as 1 hour of cycling? That depends on what is limiting you. In other words, what is your "glass ceiling"?

When I do Functional Movement Screening for someone, I can usually uncover some interesting limitations and get a better understanding of their human performance profile - maybe they are strong as an ox but stiff as a board. Maybe they are flexible, but instable. I see a lot of overuse injuries, especially with triathletes. Often, we will identify something they knew they had (and didn't think it was worth mentioning). With FMS, we can then target those deficiencies with a few corrective exercises that can be done - maybe 5-10 minutes a day a few times a week - that can be used to enhance existing training. Often, people don't want to do it or give it a try a few times and forget about it - "no time! Gotta swim, bike, and run!" I understand that.

With all that said, I've screened and fit a lot of triathletes and cyclists. The best FMS score I've seen is 15 out of 21. I've only seen one of those, and a handful of 14s. The people that scored well have all practiced yoga somewhat regularly. That's just a trend I've noticed. Most of my customers score between 7 and 10 - they move pretty poorly, and are an injury waiting to happen, if they aren't already injured. Most of my customers come to me because they have pain or discomfort on the bike. Usually, they also want to find a way to get faster on the bike, and they have reached that realization because they've plateaued. Sometimes, throwing something different into the mix will help overcome that plateau.

Triathlon can and should be part of a balanced, healthy lifestyle. Yoga can also be part of a balanced, healthy lifestyle. So, I say go for it.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...of_time%3F_P4320805/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to admit it, but I do, and it's been very helpful. For years I was stubborn and successful in not giving into peoples' recommendations to try yoga, but after getting sidelined for 6 months when I added a hamstring issue on top of an existing IT band issue, I decided to try yoga as a last resort before I lost my mind and all of my gains.

I started two winters ago, and last summer I set PRs in Olympic, 1/2 IM, 13.1 and marathon. Aside from incorporating yoga, I didn't really change my workouts or diet because I think they were pretty well dialed in...which is why I think yoga had a direct benefit.

My recovery has been faster, and I'm much more aero on the bike which has improved my bike splits but also saves my quads so the beginning of my runs are less brutal.

Anyway, I didn't want to attend classes or spend a lot of money, so I asked around, read a bunch of reviews, and eventually ended up trying 4 different DVDs (1 for runners, 2 for athletes, and 1 for triathletes). The first 3 were duds and too general. The 4th has been surprisingly good and targeted towards the crazy stuff we do to our bodies. I got it on Amazon but I think some multisport stores carry it: https://www.amazon.com/...xander/dp/B00XGPZ3FI

It comes with 2 sequences. I do the recovery sequence (shorter one) during peak training months.....I think my gains have come from little/no sacrifice to intensity after rest days because the shorter sequence really resets my legs. I do both sequences in the winter.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it makes much difference to triathlon performance, but I do think it's a good thing to do for general physical and mental health.

In other words, if SBR performance was your primary priority and you only had 12 hours/week to train, you should be spending all 12 of those hours doing....SBR.

If you're more into triathlon as part of a generally healthy lifestyle rather than trying to be the best you can be, and/or you're already doing as much SBR training as your body can handle and still have hours free to do yoga, then go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: YOGA.... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youtube has gazillions of free yoga video. I like this instructor and she has several athlete specific ones. try her yoga for running, swimming, and cycling videos. they are about 30 min so not a big time hit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithkassandra

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a runner turned triathlete who often gets tight calves, beginning yoga was a turning point for me. It has helped prevent my usual flare ups (tight hamstrings, tight calves, plantar fasciitis) from coming back. I used to go to a class but it just became too hard to regularly make the time, so I've switched to YogaGlo.

https://www.yogaglo.com/ Free 15-day trial and then $18/month after. There are over 3,000 videos that range from 5min-90min in length and you can filter the type of yoga you want (ex: balance, runner, calves, hamstring, stress relief, etc.) and it allows you to then "Favorite" those ones you enjoy. Definitely worth the $18/month even if you only do it 1 time per week.
Quote Reply