Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?)
Quote | Reply
I've read lots of people saying the Torhans Aero Bento is tough to get things out of. I'm curious if anybody has experience with the Profile Design ATTK Unit.
It looks pretty nice. Any opinions on ease of use? Is the material on the front rubbery - and would it be good for drilling holes in to run cables through and into the top tube?

Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?) [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered one for my P4, planning to run the cables through it like you asked. Hasn't arrived yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?) [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. I'd love to hear how it is when you get it. I can't find any reviews of it online.

Anybody else have any experience with it?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?) [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it for the first time this past weekend at IM syracuse 70.3.
Worked pretty good. You can't really fit much in there. I had five gels and it was tight. I left the top part of the gel sticking out so I could grab on the fly. Would not want to try and dig around for something while riding.
The material in the front is a solid version of the flaps on top. Could easily be drilled for cables. I installed mine with velcro right behind my cables.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?) [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I have similar issues over aerodynamic food carriers so developed FoodCell. Here are a few pics would like to here your thoughts. Ive seen a few on slow twitch and they never got brought to market so we are have a go.

Regards Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one and do not like it. I can cram 2 bars or 4 gels in it. Hard to get past the rubber gasket on top removing things from the box. I thought the hard side would give more room but IMO it does not.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?) [FlowCell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlowCell - it looks like decent storage, but not very aerodynamic. I'd be getting a top-tube carrier at least as much for aerodynamics (to smooth the air behind the stem of my 1st gen Speed Concept 7 series) as for carrying food.

But I might be wrong. I'd love to be corrected and find out that it actually is aerodynamic. But the blunt trailing edge doesn't make it look so. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
FlowCell - it looks like decent storage, but not very aerodynamic.... I'd love to be corrected and find out that it actually is aerodynamic. But the blunt trailing edge doesn't make it look so. Thoughts?

Have you seen aerodynamic car design lately? Lots of squarish rear corners and "blocky" backs. They're finding that previous assumptions about needing to taper and round the rear for lowest drag aren't necessarily true.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
FlowCell - it looks like decent storage, but not very aerodynamic. I'd be getting a top-tube carrier at least as much for aerodynamics (to smooth the air behind the stem of my 1st gen Speed Concept 7 series) as for carrying food.

But I might be wrong. I'd love to be corrected and find out that it actually is aerodynamic. But the blunt trailing edge doesn't make it look so. Thoughts?

Hi Nilloc,

Lets put some real world perspective on this. Lets use say cycling art 40kph, if you stick a standard water bottle between your trip bars you get around 25g of drag which circa 3watts or 10-15seconds over 40k or less than a minute over an Ironman.

If we look at food carriers they are half the thickness and not as tall as a standard drinks bottle (so even less drag), they also in general sit behind a head tube (either directly of just a few inches). So your looking at less than a minute over a full Ironman. In our view that loss when you consider how that would be very different in real world with people moving on bike sitting up or not, not to mention most people out on the course are not moving at 40kph (so even less drag effect) the real concern must be about access to nutrition (enough of it), but also being able to maintain aero position if you need to.

We did quite a bit of work on the FoodCell using the product by itself and on a visual bike in CFD testing during design and the K-Tail alone shaved the drag by 41% compared to a rounded tail design, similarly the way we shaped the front end also impacts the way the air drag moves around the product when you have a gap between the headset and product.

These are some great reviews over these issues regarding the practicality of drag. I hope you find them of interest.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...bottle-computer.html
http://flocycling.blogspot.co.uk/...el-aerodynamics.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...lt-aero-testing.html

Keep in touch.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?) [FlowCell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Good food for thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine with my ATTK. I cut it in half and trimmed it down to better fit on my top tube. That mean less space, but I won't be doing any events over 2.5 hours, so no need for lots of storage.

I thought about drilling holes in it for the cables, but it didn't look like it would work. I ended up cutting a large notch in the rubber piece at the front. Seems O.K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why you think you need to sit up and lose time with other bentos but not yours. Can you explain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is very similar in design to Torhans but a little bigger. I use it and like it but don't rely on my bento to carry a whole lot; fits a tube, air chuck and probably a tire lever and possibly small multi tool

My front is partially cut out for cables
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 15, 17 19:09
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design ATTK Unit - anyone use it? (and vs. Torhans Aero Bento?) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I don't understand why you think you need to sit up and lose time with other bentos but not yours. Can you explain?

Hi DFW,

Sure we can try to explain and perhaps a video is best.

Have you tried to get food out and in with some of these carriers? Here is some footage of using a few different products on the market and the 'FoodCell' - Just for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENN1H2ZJehk

These are 60ml gels used in the footage and we are placing 4 gels into the products (Apologies for the quality of this but just did this one today to help demonstrate and I am no tech expert). However, we could only fit 2 into one of the products as no space left inside to force in another. As you can see the smaller the opening the more difficult to get the gels out. As you will see in the footage if you pack the gels neatly pre-race (rather than just throw in like we did ) there is still space to spare in the FoodCell for some salt tabs, or to store used gels we have even managed to squeeze in another 30g gel.

If the opening is easy to get into and you know your gels will be secure whilst the the container is open, you wont have to struggle to get the gels and other food out during high effort competition. Similarly, using the FoodCell means you would be searching for the zip when you need to close the carrier.

As such if you in an aero position the idea is not to have to sit upright or take your head off the road to make sure you have closed the carrier (better aero and faster bike splits). You also don't want any used gel wrapper to come flying out and thats another reason we wanted enough space as Ironman competitors can get a time penalty for littering.

Hope this explains it for you.

If possible I am going to now stick all future responses over in one slowtwitch thread to keep everything in one place. The thread its titled: FlowCell: New Aerodynamic Food Carrier

Here is the link.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Please keep the thoughts coming as it will all roll into future R&D

Regards Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlowCell wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have similar issues over aerodynamic food carriers so developed FoodCell. Here are a few pics would like to here your thoughts. Ive seen a few on slow twitch and they never got brought to market so we are have a go.

Regards Mark

Not as aesthetically pleasing as the Torhans, but looks a shitload more functional. Do you ship to Australia?
Quote Reply