Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

thoughts on swim smooth clinic
Quote | Reply
Anybody gone to a swim smooth clinic? There is one coming up in the area and I'm considering it. Our masters swim coach is the swim smooth instructor but obviously during masters swim there's only so much one on one instruction he can give. For what it's worth, one masters swim teammate said she really liked the swim smooth clinic. This coach also does 1 hour swim video analysis at a local tri shop with an endless pool. so my options are

1) stick to just what I've recently started doing more of which is more hard interval based swims and just joined masters swim group
2) signup for swim smooth clinic
3) do the 1 hour swim video analysis

to give you an idea of my starting point. I recently did a swim to determine my test pace 3 x 300 with 30 seconds rest and that came out to 1:43 per 100 so I am obviously no speedster. In my 2 HIMs and my other triathlons, I end up typically, in the 40% to 60% place within my age group. This is my first year where I am really getting more into not just swimming lap after lap. Number 1 above I'll continue to do and swimming more frequently is something that I've already started. I'm just wondering if anybody here has experience with a swimsmooth clinic. I
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on swim smooth clinic [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What area are you in?
I have also been interested in one of these clinics.
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on swim smooth clinic [Weimjagd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weimjagd1 wrote:
What area are you in?

I have also been interested in one of these clinics.

Charleston, SC.

I ended up going to the clinic and I thought it was worth it. The video analysis alone was great. And I have been doing a lot of the swim smooth workouts and I think the drills they have you do are helpful for me. I usually do the drills in the warmup and cool down.

http://lanceogrencoaching.com/
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on swim smooth clinic [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you find was the most eye opening when you saw the video? Were you able to make any corrections that make a noticeable impact right away?
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on swim smooth clinic [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbaffaro wrote:
What did you find was the most eye opening when you saw the video? Were you able to make any corrections that make a noticeable impact right away?

2 main things for me. My right arm had a really bad crossover which certainly was not helping put me in a good position to create a good catch but also when I ramped up my swim volume it caused some issues with my shoulders. Also sitting at a desk all day certainly was causing my shoulders to be rolled forward so I've done more stretching to help that out. Also, my left arm was stretching out and basically being put down flat on the water rather than piercing the water.

So for the crossover, some of the swim smooth ideas are visualizing your middle finger pointing towards the end of the pool. I also will swim over the black lane line and think about keeping my arms on either side of the line. I will swim with the finis freestyler paddles as well. All of that has helped. I'm thinking less and less about keeping my arm straight down the pool and it's starting to become more natural. My left arm is still a challenge but I'm definitely better with it.

My catch was also poor. But I've worked on that as well both with some drills but also just sort of visualizing what I'm supposed to be doing. It's certainly not perfect but the more I swim the more I notice my catch getting better. I can feel it when I'm doing it more correctly.

More than anything my technique is improving and I'm swimming more efficiently. It's not like I'm all of a sudden 10 seconds faster per 100m but I certainly feel like I'm smoother through the water and am hoping to improve over the winter. If I could get to 1:30/100m I'd be pretty excited. I feel like I've got my crossover mostly straightened out and can now really focus on adding volume and intensity to my swim workouts without worrying about killing my shoulders.
Quote Reply