Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Meter and Wheels
Quote | Reply
I've sold a bike and I'm just down to one, my Cervelo S1.

I want to use some of the money from the sale on updated wheels. I don't own a power meter and want to try and combine the two.

What it comes down to is budget. I like the Flo 30's. They seem like a great wheel for mostly road riding and the one a year race I seem to be doing these days. The price is also right.

Used tubular powertap wheels are also in my budget. I've ridden and glued tubs before so that is not a big deal to me I'm just worried that I'm buying into old tech and might regret it down the road.

I want some ST wisdom. New wheels no power, used tubs with power? Please help me decide.....
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter and Wheels [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be worth having a look at the 4iiii Precision as a crank based PM - its good value at $399. Depending on your budget you might be able to get decent wheels too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Playing devil's advocate a bit, what's wrong with the wheels on your S1? I guess I'm curious as to your thoughts as to why new wheels would provide perceived value. If you're doing "mostly road riding and the once a year race", I'd be looking at making sure I'm as comfortable as possible on my bike - bike fit, handlebars, saddle, shoes, etc. But, I'm a bike fitter, so you would probably expect me to say that!

Of the two options you present, I guess I would favor the power meter, but only if you are going to use and understand it. With that said, look at Stages as an affordable option for the ~$500 you would spend on the FLO 30s. A Power2Max Type S with Gossamer cranks is a very good unit that can be had for $610-630, depending on bottom bracket.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two sets of wheels and a PT only for racing don't seem to make much sense, especially for someone who sounds like they are trying to simplify their life. Heck, good tubular tires are going to run 150-200$ and I don't know if they would be faster than a set of Flo 30s with GP4000s and latex tubes, which are great all-around training/racing tire. Add a single-sided PM or build the Flo 30s with a PT and you have a great combo.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter and Wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Two sets of wheels and a PT only for racing don't seem to make much sense, especially for someone who sounds like they are trying to simplify their life. Heck, good tubular tires are going to run 150-200$ and I don't know if they would be faster than a set of Flo 30s with GP4000s and latex tubes, which are great all-around training/racing tire. Add a single-sided PM or build the Flo 30s with a PT and you have a great combo.

I would basically use the PT wheels as my everyday/race wheel and the old set for trainer use only.

The long term could be just to get the 30's and add a PM later. Maybe hunt for a set of Flo's 60's used as I don't have a big hurry.

The draw of a set of Zipp 303's with PT is pretty strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter and Wheels [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Playing devil's advocate a bit, what's wrong with the wheels on your S1? I guess I'm curious as to your thoughts as to why new wheels would provide perceived value. If you're doing "mostly road riding and the once a year race", I'd be looking at making sure I'm as comfortable as possible on my bike - bike fit, handlebars, saddle, shoes, etc. But, I'm a bike fitter, so you would probably expect me to say that!

Of the two options you present, I guess I would favor the power meter, but only if you are going to use and understand it. With that said, look at Stages as an affordable option for the ~$500 you would spend on the FLO 30s. A Power2Max Type S with Gossamer cranks is a very good unit that can be had for $610-630, depending on bottom bracket.

I have no complaint with the fit and comfort of the S1. The wheels are an old set of Bontrager box wheels with 4 season 23mm Conti tires. It may be that just a simple set of new GP II tires in 25mm with latex tubes makes all the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or option 3. Buy a PM and get the wheels later. If you have to choose between anything on the bike or PM, the answer is PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not, under any circumstance, buy tubular wheels to train on.

You can just as easily find used clincher powertap g3s laced to decent rims in the 400-500 dollar range.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter and Wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

So the end of the story.

I picked up a used PT hub and I'll be ordering a Flo 30 rim and front wheel. A local shop will lace the PT up with the rim. It will be a good do everything wheel set and with a disk cover should be a passable race day option.
Quote Reply