Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Countersteering [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rmt wrote:
Back to downhill descents.

I thought we were talking about uphill descents.
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
trail wrote:
rmt wrote:

Dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chaparral wrote:
trail wrote:
rmt wrote:

Dude.

Sorry, that should have been pink.
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding with a bunch of other cat 1/2's Tuesday, asked what is countersteering, all said the same thing, lean outside the corner with your bodyweight while pressing into the turn with the handlebars. Of course the only guy who had a different definition is a professional stunt rider who actually explained real counter steering.
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Riding with a bunch of other cat 1/2's Tuesday"

back door brag ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think in the context of bicycles, this is blown out of proportion. A bicycle turns pretty intuitively, at least for me is does. The counter steering action is so subtle when I turn shrpl;y it don;t notice I'm doing it, because it requires so little force.

I've ridden 30mph, positive camber, downhill sweepers no handed on a road bike (its actually a very cool feeling). However, I suspect that to initiate the turn I engaged in countersteering to a degree.

But I can't reenforce enough that on a heavier motorcycles with wide tires, it simply will not turn or change it's line at higher speeds without actively counter steering. This is where it's critical.

Aggressively countersteering on a relatively flexible frame at higher speeds is downright dangerous. It's a good way to initiate a oscillation you might not be able to pull out of and there's so little mass involved, it simply doesn't require that much force.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This requires countersteering (2-up with luggage... ~1000 lbs of people and machinery)

[URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/...a/DealsGap2.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/...a/DealsGap1.jpg.html][/url]

This requires a lot less... especially when still aero. Note the position of the legs. Also the head position on the motorcycle and bicycle... it's up the road. But on the bike, your torso and body is relaxed to soak up bumps. You have to allow the bike to move under you a little.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Jun 16, 16 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Riding with a bunch of other cat 1/2's Tuesday, asked what is countersteering, all said the same thing

I did the same thing riding with a bunch of other Cat 1-2s, and they all said the same thing, "STFU, and just bomb the hill."
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

It will help people who want to learn to avoid a crash like Peter Sagan -- because it is something that many people fail to do when they are about to crash or hit something.

Sure people counter steer without realizing it. However, many don't realize that they can initiate a sharp turn with a flick of their handlebars and that can be useful in emergency situations. Most riders just don't do it and crash.

This seems like such a stretch in so many different ways

If we're just going to arbitrarily throw out made up assertions, I'll add some: Most riders aren't crashing to begin with. Most riders that do crash are doing it very infrequently.

Of those "not most" crashes that do occur, how many could have been avoided with your counter steering assertion?

My guess would not be "most".

Most crashes I see in races are pure user error: terrible line and over taking a turn or sliding out, no not applicable to your assertion, and hitting wheels (may or not be applicable) or having nowhere to go and hitting someone else. Most of the crashes I see in pro races are the same.

I really don't see how your notion of countersteering and not crashing is relevant in most crashes.
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This seems like such a stretch in so many different ways

Agreed. I was using hyperbole to respond to the claim that everyone who rides a bike counter steers. While that is true on one level. I think that most have not practiced "abrupt handlebar induced emergency counter steer" and have never performed that maneuver. In truth, most will never need the skill. On the other hand, I think it is a good thing to practice in case it is needed.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan I like that video because he stresses BALANCE and I want to stay with that for a minute and avoid the "C word" (counter-steer). I'm also gonna skip the suggestions that someone take up motocross or GP or take a decade to master alpine skiing. Both newbies and those who are brilliant swimmers or runners but super limited on their cycling skills can be instructed to obtain these skills - and balance is at the heart of this whole discussion. To be a good at descending or cornering or carrying speed through a descending turn - start with a narrow corridor and have the athlete lean the bike to one side while while staying within that corridor. The balance (and again, I'm avoiding the C word) will be discovered in just a few safe, easy progressions on flat ground and then progress to a 90 degree turn on flat ground and then take that into descending. The video below is one of the drills we'll be teaching coaches at the Slowtwitch Coaching seminar on bike skills in Denver on August 4 & 5.

(55sec, Lean Balance, Narrow Corridor).

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think i mentioned in an earlier post that the ONE thing you can do, OTHER than the c word, when you find yourself in very tight quarters and need to ride a straight line, is to lean your body waaaay over to one side. it is all a question of balance (i'm looking foooor, someone to change my liiiiiife). contrary to the claims of so many people in the past, it isn't gyroscopic forces, or trail, that makes a bike rideable. the b word may not be as incendiary as the c word but they're rooted in the same idea.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it is all a question of balance (i'm looking foooor, someone to change my liiiiiife). contrary to the claims of so many people in the past, it isn't gyroscopic forces, or trail, that makes a bike rideable. the b word may not be as incendiary as the c word but they're rooted in the same idea.

I admittedly haven't read every post in this thread, but to describe "balance" in a "vehicle dynamics" context is to say that something has "static" and "dynamic" stability.

Static stability is like a ball sitting inside a bowl in that a disturbance away from its natural position will result in it naturally returning to the same position, whereas statically unstable is like a ball resting atop of another ball, where a disturbance will cause the ball to roll away and never return.

Dynamic stability concerns itself with how disturbances manifest themselves on the vehicle over time, diverging, oscillating (diminishing, constant, or growing in amplitude), or settling into a new equilibrium.

So, while one particular thing like gyroscopic forces, or trail aren't sufficient to "make a bike rideable" (read: close to statically stable, with none or predictable oscillations towards an equilibrium "close" to the original state before a disturbance), steering / roll coupling and the relationship that a bicycle's geometry creates with respect to the rider's center of mass and inertia from a disturbance ultimately creates "balance" which may ask a little, or a lot of the cyclist.

Chatting about this stuff is cool, don't get me wrong! I just feel that the issue that Slowman has with inconsistent use of language regarding counter-steering is inevitable when speaking "casually" about complex things, and the only path to understanding is eventually putting the math to the ground. I do think that with some modest trig background, people can properly digest the mathematical results provided someone else derives and can explain them properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I do think that with some modest trig background, people can properly digest the mathematical results provided someone else derives and can explain them properly."

if someone supplies the modest trig, i'll supply the space to host it ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
I just feel that the issue that Slowman has with inconsistent use of language regarding counter-steering is inevitable when speaking "casually" about complex things, and the only path to understanding is eventually putting the math to the ground.

While understanding the math is never a bad thing, I don't think it's necessary here to clarify the language.

Countersteering is how bikes turn. While there are various variations on the practice that may be more suitable for different situations, it is not a distinct technique different than "normal turning." That's Slowman's primary thesis here, and no math is required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
codygo wrote:
I just feel that the issue that Slowman has with inconsistent use of language regarding counter-steering is inevitable when speaking "casually" about complex things, and the only path to understanding is eventually putting the math to the ground.

While understanding the math is never a bad thing, I don't think it's necessary here to clarify the language.

Countersteering is how bikes turn. While there are various variations on the practice that may be more suitable for different situations, it is not a distinct technique different than "normal turning." That's Slowman's primary thesis here, and no math is required.

Thanks for getting me an out from explaining root-locus plots 101 :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might find this interesting:

http://www.nature.com/news/the-bicycle-problem-that-nearly-broke-mathematics-1.20281

Slowman wrote:
this came up in the "help me to descend fast" thread. i'm going to be the guy who pees in the cheerios.

there are 2 or 3 different definitions of countersteering. one is valid. the others? to me, it's like being filled with the holy spirit, or speaking in tongues. are you? are you doing it? is it really a thing? do you feel different when you're doing it? special? thankful? gifted?

here's the one valid definition of countersteering: if you want to turn right, you have to turn left first. you need to get your center of gravity between the wheelbase line you're riding and the line you want to ride. you need to lean in the direction you want to turn, but it's very difficult to simply lean.

the only time i find people doing this is when they're riding in very tight quarters, like in the middle of a peloton, and you get a bit off-balanced, there's another way to go about this, but i'll leave that for now so as not to obfuscate.

other than that, you MUST countersteer. it's a part of steering when you're riding any vehicle with 2 wheels.

that's it. that's one valid description of countersteering. you don't need to think about it. you just do it. you have to do it. you don't consciously do it, and you can't ride without doing it. you're already doing it.

pushing on the opposite handlebar, leaning your bike toward the turn, all these other versions of countersteering, they're not valid. not real. not a thing. otherwise you're going to be trying some exercise, wondering, like speaking in tongues, if you're really "doing it" or not.

tell me why i'm wrong, and why you have the gift i can't seem to discover and so don't acknowledge.

Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [moneyball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a really nice article. thanks for sharing. i don't know that i ever met jim, but i remember him as a gentleman and a very smart guy on rec.bicycles.tech. i enjoy people who respect tradition but challenge it anyway.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moneyball wrote:

http://www.nature.com/news/the-bicycle-problem-that-nearly-broke-mathematics-1.20281
That's extremely interesting. I just skimmed, but it's the first time I've seen the difference between low-speed and higher-speed steering discussed. You definitely don't countersteer in the parking lot as you circle around waiting for the group ride to start, and they explain that in their paper.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the footnotes in that article leads to another paper of Jim's on high-speed shimmy, whose abstract reads (emphasis added)

Quote:
This paper first presents original data records of the linear accelerations, along with angular velocities and forward velocity, for a high-speed hands-on bicycle shimmy. These describe the oscillation in terms of duration, magnitude, correlation with forward speed, and related danger for the rider. Then additional experimental data are reported which support the conjecture that the shimmy while riding occurs essentially at the same frequency as the lateral resonance of the head tube when the saddle of a stationary bicycle is laterally constrained.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moneyball wrote:

Wow, fascinating article.

Thanks for the link !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not certain, but i *think* that is essentially in line with my experience: stiff systems withstand shimmy, flexy systems invite shimmy. i don't experience shimmy on my bikes anymore, because i ride newer monocoque carbon bikes, regardless of wheels, tires, frame geometry. i'm not saying shimmy can't happen with these bikes, but if they do i suspect the bending moment or fulcrum around which the oscillation occurs just moves to the flexible appendage (stem, steer column, whatever). i don't ride bikes (at least road bikes) that have flexible front ends, so i don't get shimmy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

... you don't need to think about it. you just do it. you have to do it. you don't consciously do it, and you can't ride without doing it. you're already doing it.

pushing on the opposite handlebar.... they're not valid. not real. not a thing. otherwise you're going to be trying some exercise, wondering, like speaking in tongues, if you're really "doing it" or not.

Dan, I agree with your first statement here but disagree with the second. Countersteering is turning in one direction while your wheel is pointed in the opposite direction. It only works at speed, with a strong lean. When I took my Motorcycle Safety Foundation class, the instructor demonstrated countersteering by spinning a bicycle wheel in his hands. He pushed the axle with his right hand, and the wheel turned left but leaned right. Similarly, push the handlebar with your right hand, the bike leans right, and you go right. On a bicycle, the sensation is not nearly as strong as on a motorcycle. On bicycle I think in terms of lean more than countersteer. And to your point, I'm "doing it", but not consciously. If I look down, however, I can tell that my front wheel is ever-so-slightly pointed in the direction opposite of my turn.

One more thing - on a bicycle, the lean initiates the countersteer, on a motorcycle the countersteer initiates the lean.
Last edited by: Kroppduster: Jul 22, 16 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: Countersteering [Kroppduster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kroppduster wrote:
One more thing - on a bicycle, the lean initiates the countersteer, on a motorcycle the countersteer initiates the lean.
As a rider of both, I disagree. Force applied to the handlebars comes first.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply

Prev Next