Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Senate behind closed doors
Quote | Reply
I watched with amazement and amusement yesterday as the libs in the Senate invoked a rare, but legal, parliamentary ruling. It looks like they want a bipartisan committee to look into the intelligence that lead up to the war. Maybe I missed something but what exactly was the 9/11 commission? Is this simply the sharks smelling blood in the water and looking to attack the president on every possible front? My thoughts are this is prepping the battlefield for 2008. All of the left's presidential hopefuls voted for the war. Now with the opening of yet another investigation they can back off of their original position and placate the far fringe of their party (moveon, Soros, etc) by saying they really would have voted against the war before they voted for the war. Oh wait didn't Kerry try that. I guess they think it worked for Kerry when he claimed to have voted for the increased funding befor he voted against it. I never understood that line of thinking and still don't. It will be interesting in the weeks to come to see how the key presidential hopefuls play this one.
Quote Reply
Re: The Senate behind closed doors [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed something but what exactly was the 9/11 commission?

You missed something. ;)

The 9/11 commission looked into the intelligence leading up to the 9/11 events. http://www.9-11commission.gov/

The body currently investigating the intelligence leading up to the war in Iraq is the Senate Intelligence Committee, chaired by Pat Roberts of Kansas.

Apparently the result of yesterday's session was the creation of a bipartisian task force to reveiw the progress of the Intelligence Committee's work and report back to their parties' leadership.

It does seem like showboating. The Democrats in Congress have lately adopted the tactic of stonewalling investigations, and then blaming the Republicans for a coverup, and screaming for "bipartisian" investigations. Whatever.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: The Senate behind closed doors [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I didn't know why they we needed another inquiry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hope was that they would stay in closed session so that we might never hear from them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks. I didn't know why they we needed another inquiry.

The extra inquiry was to examine if the (faulty) intelligence was manipulated by the Administration in an attempt to sell the war (which was not part of the 9/11 Commission's charter, unfortunately). It was promised by Sen. Roberts a number of years ago.

The ostensible reason for the closed door session was to determine why the effort by Pat Roberts seemed to be going nowhere. Whether or not that is the real reason, I don't know. Roberts now claims that the Democrats knew that his committee would be releasing its findings next week. Who knows?

A pox on both their houses.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The Senate behind closed doors [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My hope was that they would stay in closed session so that we might never hear from them again.
Yup, what happened to the good ole days of Governemnt shut downs? Bring them on!

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: The Senate behind closed doors [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The ostensible reason for the closed door session was to determine why the effort by Pat Roberts seemed to be going nowhere. Whether or not that is the real reason, I don't know. Roberts now claims that the Democrats knew that his committee would be releasing its findings next week. Who knows?

Well that didnt work - my question is if the panel was going to release it's findings next week, why did Robert et al agree to form a (new?) bipartisan panel?

Ny other questions are

1) what exactly is so persuasive about invoking a closed session?

2) dont the Repubs have the majority needed to open it hack up again?

In Reply To:
Well that didnt work - my question is if the panel was going to release it's findings next week, why did Robert et al agree to form a (new?) bipartisan panel?

Ny other questions are

1) what exactly is so persuasive about invoking a closed session?

2) dont the Repubs have the majority needed to open it hack up again?

"In the end, lawmakers agreed to name three members from each party to assess the state of the Intelligence Committee's inquiry into prewar intelligence and report back by Nov. 14."

So they agreed to a bi-partisan committee to look into the Intelligence Committee's look into the use of pre-war intelligence. That's intelligent.

I don't think that there is a mechanism for stopping the invocation of Senate Rule 21. As for what's the big deal, I guess it's a combination of the fact that the majority can't stop it and it's a slap in the face of the Majority Leader (who is thus powerless).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The Senate behind closed doors [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they agreed to a bi-partisan committee to look into the Intelligence Committee's look into the use of pre-war intelligence. That's intelligent.

Yeesh, I missed that, and I guess you missed this:

From CNN

Frist said Senate Rule 21 -- which requires everyone but senators and a few aides to clear the chamber until a majority votes to reopen -- had been invoked only rarely and with "mutual conversation" between the leaders of both parties. [/url][/url]

Is Tibbs writing your posts? Bring back JHC now!
Quote Reply
Re: The Senate behind closed doors [Al P Duez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By my Def Lporad hair gel suckers!

Thanks to Powerlineblog.com :-)

T.
Quote Reply