Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running, Weight & Knees
Quote | Reply
I just started running a few months ago. I've been trying to increase my distance at an aerobic pace, but my knees seem to be feeling the strain. I'm about 10-12kg overweight, with *zero* running experience (even as a kid).

I'm aiming to do my first tri (300/8/3) in March, and plan on doing an ocean swim in late-Jan, so I figured I could concentrate on swimming untli Feb. and hopefully lose some weight, then get back into running in Feb in order to do the tri in March. Cycling wIll be commuting to work (~14km/day) by bike.

So, what do you guys think? Would I be better off doing at least some running between now and then, or is waiting until I lose a couple of kgs the more sensible option?

Oh yeah, I've got proper shoes, with advice from a real running shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [WebSwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't mention your age. Being old like me doesn't help. Still, you need to do some running. On the other hand, you can't push through knee trouble or you will regret it.

I wish this advice helped more, but when it comes to running, sometimes you have to pick your poison.

I have been building back up for four years now. I was doing well unti a month ago when I was sidelined with an injury. I should be back in a couple weeks, but the injuries sure are annoying.

Best of luck,
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 31. Background is in swimming, so I never played any ball sports, hence am a weak runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 31 you still heal, so I would continue to plug away at the running, but very carefully. Don't run on sore knees, since that can cause mega problems. You can hopefully get in a few miles while you stay in shape by biking and swimming.

Most of us are in this sport since we can't do just one sport without getting hurt. At least most of us old guys are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend using Galloway's approach and start doing run/walk workouts with brisk walking and gradually lengthening your running segments. This will help you drop weight faster than swimming and ease you into the run mode so your body gets used to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allen,

I strongly agree with your recommendation to start with Galloway run/walk conditioning program.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like we are in the same boat. I am an ex swimmer who has decided to try tris. I did a couple this year. I am also about 10 kg overweight (okay maybe 15 kg) and have trouble climbing on the bike and running. My running started to improve at the end of the year but I hurt my self in September (long embarassing story). Now I feel like I am starting from the beginning. We should compare notes.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too had all sorts of knee problems when I started running - turns out the knees are fine, but my atrophied quads were not used to the work, tightened up, and started pulling on connective tissue around my knees, making me think my knees were sore. Get a good stretching program - yoga is the best - and a foam roller.
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had started doing Galloway for a while, but was getting impatient, so I went back to 'normal' running. Guess I'll just have to slow down again.
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done any tris yet! I've did no execise for about 4 years after finishing swimming, hence the weight gain, and started going to the gym last year. Need something to aim for, rather than just doing stuff for no real reason.
Plus, some friends have started doing ocean swims, so I feel I should make an effort, given that I'm supposed to be the swimmer in the group.
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [sproutie18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always stretched, so it's not a muscle thing. I think it's more of an impact/weight-bearing thing, seeing as how swimming is totally non-impact. I've been doing a bit of weights as well, so muscles are in reasonable shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First--I've never had any knee problems (knock wood), even with the extra 15 kg I had earlier this year.

I'd do the running now and even up your running FREQUENCY, but keep it short, at 20 - 40 minutes per session. It's the fastest way to drop weight. And, keep the running at an easy pace, walking if you have to.

the shrinking clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well 30mins is about the maximum time I chave ever run for anyway ;-)

So, by frequency, do you mean times/week, or stride frequency?

At the moment i'm just doing a bit of weights and getting back into swimming again (3*1200m/week). I move back to Sydney in Jan, so I'll be using my bike to commute then which will be a large increase in activity. I guess I should probably do maybe 2 Galloway sessions per week to start off with, and gradually build up to a staight 30min run. The tri I'm doing is only a 3km run which will take me less than 20mins, so there's probably not too much point in building up to more than 30mins initially?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>So, by frequency, do you mean times/week, or stride frequency?<<

Times/week. And 20-30 minutes is fine. I did a 5 week rotation of 4-5 times per week, some runs of only 20 minutes, but that really kick started the weight loss. Training for an Ironman with a lot of biking and swimming (and woefully little running) did not.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add to all this good advice: The sooner you start regular running (at least 3x/week), the better. While you should never run through severe or acute pain, your knees are most likely unhappy just because your muscles, joints and connective tissues haven't yet adapted to the stress of running. It will get better! Even skinny beginning runners get the sore knees, hips, feet, shins, etc. -- or so I'm told. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Running, Weight & Knees [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice guys, though it now looks like it's a moot point. Went to a concert yesterday and lifted my girlfriend up a couple of times so she could see the stage. Today I reached over to pick up a piece of the newspaper and put my back out!

I wouldn't mind, but she's as light as a feather. Could have been exacerbated by standing for 6 continuous hours.

Oh well, will need a few days off, then hopefully a couple of swim sessions will striaghten things out.
Quote Reply