Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is the problem w/ AG Doping a lack of education? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Wow, I just read this thread for the first time.

So a lady who openly wanted to take T was warned on FB about it. But she wanted to anyway. Then 6 months later a lady comes to her house for a random drug test and she told her to leave.

Did I summarize that correctly?

I didn't know they tested AG'ers. Will she be banned for denying the test?

Yes, you summarized it correctly. After she found out who the lady actually was it appears she provided a sample.

They test AG'ers, quite a few have been coming up positive in the recent years. It is typically targeted testing either 1 of 2 ways
1. USADA is given a tip on someone that might be taking a banned substance, believe it usually has to have some "evidence" to go along with it. Although there is a way to leave an anonymous tip as well.

2. They have been targeting top AG'ers, typically in Kona before the race but sometimes leading up to the race. They usually just pick out guys that went super fast at their qualifying races.

bluestacks867 wrote:
I ride Fuji's wrote:

I believe she took the test. If she passed or not, that is another question.

Thanks for clearing that up. Very interesting. I am doing my first Tri in May and purchased the 1-day USAT license, although I will do more tris and probably keep buying 1-day licenses. Does this subject me to the rare chance of a random drug test at my house?

I *believe*, but could be corrected, that once you have registered for a race you are subject to testing. I do not believe it has to do with the type of license you have. Someone more versed in the policies can correct me if I am wrong. But that is how the people getting tested prior to Kona were getting tested, as they had registered for the race which made them eligible for testing, in or out of competition.

Lastly, not accusing you of anything by any means. But the questions you are asking would lead one to believe that you are either taking something currently, or were planning on taking something in the future. Not saying you are or would do it for the performance enhancing effects, maybe for the "health / lifestyle" effects. Either way, there is a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) process that you can submit to. I am sure there are plenty of people out there taking something and still racing, knowingly or unknowingly that it is banned. Those taking it knowingly, well they are taking a massive risk, and some are willing to take that risk knowing that they will more than likely never get tested because they are BOP to MOP (back of the pack to middle of the pack) and would rather have the "health / lifestyle" benefits of whatever banned substance they are taking.

But I am sure this thread was pretty eye opening and informative for those that had no idea about the process and that people, even amateurs are eligible to doping test.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Is the problem w/ AG Doping a lack of education? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could I pose a couple of thoughts without being labeled as promoting cheating?? I believe there are at least 3 separate issues in this thread which are being inefficiently lumped together-
1) The use of T is fairly new and is not accepted as a medical necessity. Awareness of the benefits of the drug for health and lifestyle is still coming along. Clearly there is a lot of pushback against the drug due to it's potential to be used for cheating. It's entirely possible that by the next generation a large percent of the male population will be on a T-like derivative for any variety of health reasons. It's just a personal theory of mine but it makes sense given the path of medicine and our views on extending life and health.
2) The vast majority of athletes simply don't care about doping rules because they figure they aren't going to the Olympics. The idea that these "weekend warriors" have to manage their health to abide by the rules that are used for world class athletes is kinda silly. It's not that they are using banned drugs for cheating. The vast majority use some type of banned drug for a legitimate medical need and they can't see themselves relegated to just training and never racing again.
3) There is also the issue of medical progress when it comes to creating athletes. Included in this section is gene altering, fat burning pills, muscle building pills, etc. All of these things are just a generation away. In the context of knowing that they exist, it's kinda hard to justify the extremely rigid testing process that is presently in place. I completely understand why we test right now, but if you consider that in the next generation we could have a genetically altered person who was made to excel at running, a lot of people are going to question the present system as not being able to adapt.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the problem w/ AG Doping a lack of education? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
But I am sure this thread was pretty eye opening and informative for those that had no idea about the process and that people, even amateurs are eligible to doping test.

Yep, exactly. I like to understand things mostly. I guess triathlons are more organized and governed than marathons to be drug testing armatures. I never heard of any running friends get drug tested for doing random marathons. I am new to the sport, never read the fine print when I registered / purchased a 1-day license. I am sure it is in there somewhere!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Is the problem w/ AG Doping a lack of education? [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
Could I pose a couple of thoughts without being labeled as promoting cheating?? I believe there are at least 3 separate issues in this thread which are being inefficiently lumped together-
1) The use of T is fairly new and is not accepted as a medical necessity. Awareness of the benefits of the drug for health and lifestyle is still coming along. Clearly there is a lot of pushback against the drug due to it's potential to be used for cheating. It's entirely possible that by the next generation a large percent of the male population will be on a T-like derivative for any variety of health reasons. It's just a personal theory of mine but it makes sense given the path of medicine and our views on extending life and health.

Testosterone use does not extend life. And I'm not sure what definition of "health" would include testosterone use. It improves the ability to recover from strenuous workouts, which allows for significant improvements in fitness. Fitness is different from health. And that's why the significant problems are being created by the anti-aging clinics and not PCPs.

Quote:
2) The vast majority of athletes simply don't care about doping rules because they figure they aren't going to the Olympics. The idea that these "weekend warriors" have to manage their health to abide by the rules that are used for world class athletes is kinda silly. It's not that they are using banned drugs for cheating. The vast majority use some type of banned drug for a legitimate medical need and they can't see themselves relegated to just training and never racing again.

The problems are not coming from the MOP folks. And nobody really cares about them. It's coming from those athletes taking Kona spots and podium spots at national championships. The problem athletes are not weekend warriors, and they are not doping because they are recovering from testicular cancer. They are doping because they want to win and can get away with it because the testing is incredibly lax among the age-groupers.

Quote:
3) There is also the issue of medical progress when it comes to creating athletes. Included in this section is gene altering, fat burning pills, muscle building pills, etc. All of these things are just a generation away. In the context of knowing that they exist, it's kinda hard to justify the extremely rigid testing process that is presently in place. I completely understand why we test right now, but if you consider that in the next generation we could have a genetically altered person who was made to excel at running, a lot of people are going to question the present system as not being able to adapt.

There is no "extremely rigid testing process" in place for age-group athletes. I did not see any testing at all at the US Duathlon Nationals, and it's not looking like there is going to be this year either. And that means dopers are going to keep their subscription to the local t-clinic and get their top spots on Team USA.
Last edited by: Desert Tortoise: Feb 11, 17 21:47
Quote Reply
Re: Is the problem w/ AG Doping a lack of education? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

for tri there are ways round this - 2 classes of athletes - those that like tri and want to participate but do not want to be considered for awards - this has a couple of benefits primarily it would reduce the testing pool size and eliminate all those "doping" who have voluntarily excluded themselves from the process - asterisk all their finishing positions or have to lists

Powerlifting has already solved this problem. There are two basic classes of federation: some have an anti-doping policy and enforce it with both spot and OOC tests, and some don't test at all. If you're clean, you can compete in either. If you dope, you have a place to compete against others without putting clean athletes at an unfair disadvantage. (There are also equipment classes, so lifters who competes in a multi-ply squat suit aren't competing against unequipped lifters. Think of it like having "hybrid bike," "road bike," "tri bike", and "super bike" classes.)

It doesn't eliminate cheating, but it reduces the temptation-- people who want to be on gear can still compete with no stigma.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the problem w/ AG Doping a lack of education? [maxgaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General reply to the thread:

Interesting article about doping in sport, with a good look at the prevalence of amateur doping:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/38884801
Quote Reply

Prev Next