Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ohio St beach lockers not up
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if and when they will be putting the lockers up? I thought they would be up last week when the beaches officially opened. I've had to put my car keys in a baggie under my cap.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been wondering the same thing, I have asked everyone around, lifeguards, workers in the restaurant and even the lifeguard hotline and no one has the slightest idea when or if they will be back. Other beaches that had lockers before are also not back yet so hopefully they have yet to roll them back in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the water temp these days?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
59F is the official reading: http://www.cpdbeaches.com/...s/Ohio-Street-Beach/

It feels warmer further in, maybe about a quarter mile in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I opened this wondering where the beaches were in Columbus.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a good baggie for your key so you can wear it. No need for the locker. Never needed them.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got this to hold my keys (haven't used it, but good excuse to use it now): http://www.trisports.com/ishof-h20-float.html

I also have lifeproof case for my phone.

It's still a PITA. I guess I'll just bring crappy towel and old sweats that I can just leave on the beach and not worry about it getting stolen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
I've got this to hold my keys (haven't used it, but good excuse to use it now): http://www.trisports.com/ishof-h20-float.html

I also have lifeproof case for my phone.

It's still a PITA. I guess I'll just bring crappy towel and old sweats that I can just leave on the beach and not worry about it getting stolen.

I doubt anyone will steal your normal clothes. Unless you dress that fancy :)

Be smart but don't be paranoid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not being paranoid. BTW it is Chicago and I've had random worthless stuff stolen. If stuff gets taken, it's not that big of a deal for me. All of this is just a PITA/inconvenience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
I'm not being paranoid. BTW it is Chicago and I've had random worthless stuff stolen. If stuff gets taken, it's not that big of a deal for me. All of this is just a PITA/inconvenience.

Lived in Chicago 10 years. Swam at OSB. Never locked upy dirty clothes. Did u lock my bike. I'm familiar with the scene.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Funny - me too! Especially as a Spartan, I'd think State over Street every time.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad nothings happened to you. I hope to have the same luck as you. Maybe your 10 years is more representative vs my 6 years in the city (and >20 years in the burbs).

Regardless, I like the assurance of warm, dry clothes and towel after coming out of the water, especially now when the water temp is < 60F. Also, I like leaving my phone, keys and clean clothes in the lockers. I'm fine without it there and not looking for advice (I've already been out there without any major issues/worries, just inconvenient). It's just not my preference. I've already adjusted my OWS plans as I mentioned earlier.

My original post was to find out if anyone had additional info so that I can plan out future OWS and also to inform others that the lockers aren't there so they can plan appropriately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually buy a recovery beer from Cafe Oliva post swim. If you do that the bartenders will let you leave a bag behind the bar.

I've left a couple of voicemails with the park district asking about the lockers but haven't heard anything back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little update: The lockers were put back up on Monday and there's a few more than there were last year.

Water temp was up to 68 this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update Brad. Thinking of heading down this weekend to get an early swim/run in. Been a few years since I've been down there. Any cheap/safe parking recommendations. plan on being down there by 6:30 and should be done by 9:30 AM. I remember parking on street a block or 2 west of LSD before. Or is it best to pay the 25$ and use the Navy Pier Parking?
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! thanks for the update. Planning on going tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [steve1128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always park on Ohio St or Ontario, west of LSD. $4/hr. I forgot if meters start at 7 or 8AM. If I go for longer workout, then I just do spothero ~$10-15 for all day parking (but it's been 2 years since I've done that, prices might be higher now).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody been down there this year yet?? Heading down tomorrow and wanting to know if there are lockers??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lockers are up! Used them a couple times this past week when I was in town. Cool water temp but after a few minutes nice and refreshing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I have found memories of Ohio St Beach. I always tried to make it my goal to swim faster than people besides me on the path who were walking. Enjoy summer in Chicago!!!!

Same! I only ever seemed to manage it with older couples though while swimming down wind. There used to be a guy who would swim the boat buoy line at daybreak and from what I could tell he started somewhere up around North Avenue Beach and would go to the end of Olive Park and then turn around.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I live in CBUS and wondered the same thing. Is this a new Urban Meyer training thing for the football team??
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio St beach lockers not up [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Funny - me too! Especially as a Spartan, I'd think State over Street every time.

HA - until I read your post, I thought it was Ohio STATE beach..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've been up since earlier summer of 2016. Some of the lockers are broken. Get there early if you want too get a good locker. There are a lot of tri clubs out there on weekends. I've been out 5 times this year. It's been 55-60F, but looks like finally warming up a bit this week. It might be a bit choppy tomorrow. I'll probably be there around 7ish tomorrow.

Also the buoys aren't there (0.25 and 0.5 mile markers). Not sure if they will be putting them back up. Anyone know?
Quote Reply