Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Hot was the Temperature in the Hottest Ironman You've Competed In? [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100-something in IM AZ the last time it was held in April. Couldn't say exactly the temp--at least it was a dry heat.
Quote Reply
Re: How Hot was the Temperature in the Hottest Ironman You've Competed In? [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2009 IMC 95 degrees plus smoke from forest fire.

Very bad race for me, cramping on bike, throwing up and dehydrated...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100+ It was the hardest thing I have ever tried. After that I always try to plan my year, so I avoid the crazy hot races.

Jens Ă…gesen
http://bookanaut.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona 2009 the AVERAGE temp on the bike was 92, well over 100 for stretches. Going back this year, it took me 7 years to forget what a roasting brain feels like.
Quote Reply
Re: How Hot was the Temperature in the Hottest Ironman You've Competed In? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:

Inversely I raced CDA in 2013 and it was about the most perfect weather you could ask for.

I also did CDA in 2013, weather was amazing and water temp was pretty perfect too.

Went back in 2015 and it was miserable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coeur d'Alene, 108 on race day, 2015. They started the race an hour early, guaranteeing most athletes a daytime finish. My favorite problem-solving moment of the day, rolling into the last aid station on the uphill part of the long out-an-back, and they were out of fresh water bottles. Lots of half-full throw-downs, though, and a trash can full of melted ice water. I asked the volunteers to fill up three of the opened water bottles with trash can water. I promised not to drink them, but used them to cool myself off. They also had an unopened bottle of Orange Gatorade, so I took that, too.

I found somebody's discarded empty wide-mouth bike bottle on the ride back into town. I put it in my back pocket and kept it for the run, refilling it with ice and water at each aid station, and used it to keep my arm coolers wet and cool.

The cooling regime worked, I placed fourth in my AG, so very happy for the hot weather. I always try to remember that bad conditions favor the best-prepared athletes.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racine 70.3 maybe 2008. 104. Never forget that one

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Kona 2002, 100+ On the run, 90%plus humity. Was fine till the guy next to me said how hot it was,,,than it was over...
Quote Reply
Re: How Hot was the Temperature in the Hottest Ironman You've Competed In? [Shakeandbake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shakeandbake wrote:
Racine 70.3 maybe 2008. 104. Never forget that one

IMLou in 2010. If I remember correctly, 97 degrees, but the heat index was 104. That was a hot day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next