Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Signs of over-reaching in training
Quote | Reply
Hi ST! Lots of posts on here about overtraining and overreaching, but I never found a list of symptoms/treatments to prevent them. So I wrote an article for Trail Runner Mag on it, and I thought it might be even more relevant for triathletes.

Article here: http://trailrunnermag.com/...-you-shouldnt-ignore

TL;DR summary:

Symptoms
1. "Clenching" quads in the evening
2. Difficulty sleeping or difficulty staying awake
3. Abnormal fatigue walking up stairs or running up slight hills
4. Abnormal heart rate readings (or feelings)
5. Abnormal lack of motivation

Training Treatment Options:
1. Go slow (like really really slow)
2. Complete rest
3. All aerobic, with short sprints

Lifestyle Treatment:
1. Eat a burger (make sure iron is good)
2. Sleep (duh)
3. Chill

Hope this helps someone out there! I'd love to hear any symptoms/treatments you know! :)

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Signs of over-reaching in training [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great article!!

For me it frequently manifests in changes in my psychology. When I start to feel irritable, sad, or develop a low level of persistent anxiety I know it's time for a break.

I've also learned to recognize symptoms in my physical appearance. When overreached my body will swell and look "soft", and I'll get a puffy face and dark circles under my eyes (despite proper sleep).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is always the same. Exhaustion so complete that I can't get the HR up to where it needs to be. Aerobic system is saying yes but the legs just won't turn as fast as they need to. A rest day and a couple of days of easy swimming fixes it right back up.
Quote Reply
Re: Signs of over-reaching in training [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
Great article!!

For me it frequently manifests in changes in my psychology. When I start to feel irritable, sad, or develop a low level of persistent anxiety I know it's time for a break.

Me, too. Sleep problems, weight gain (water retention), and irritability all point to overreaching too far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a life-long overreacher/trainer I really like your lists. I think on the surface they might seem obvious to some, but they resonate with me as being informed by experience.

I've never had the quad clenching, so that's new. Though I do get calf-twitching.

And I try to avoid complete rest. Other than the odd day or two. I find that complete rest can quickly lead to situations where you're both overtrained and undertrained. Which sounds paradoxical, but detraining can seemingly happen more quickly than regaining full training capacity. And being both overtrained and out-of-shape is destructive to morale. You're sent back to square one. Vs. maintaining a very light training load where you can stave off detraining while building back up your ability to handle stress.
Quote Reply