Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: bike gps device during triathlon? [mtbmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried using the 920 on the bike and twisting my wrist. it sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: bike gps device during triathlon? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. that is super cheap since it supports ant+ power meters. I ordered a stages power meter and was considering a polar m450 for the bike but at $43 it's almost worth a try. Then again, polar m450 is $140 and maybe I can get it on sale somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: bike gps device during triathlon? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Polar is BTLE only and the $43 ebay one is ANT+ only, just FYI.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 920 the whole race, keeping it on my wrist for the bike. I just turn the watch to the palm side of my wrist so I don't have to twist my wrist around to view. I honestly use it as a check-in though. I found with my 500, I was staring at numbers the whole time and didn't like the experience. I do have power connected and displayed and I use it to guide my efforts, I just don't let it dominate what's going on (or not going on) in my head!
That's the whole reason I went with a 920. One device to rule them all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
IHOP wrote:
I just use my Garmin Edge on the bike and have a Forerunner for the run. I rarely keep track of my time during the swim. If I do wear a watch during the swim, I just wear an el cheapo Timex that I won't be upset about if it comes off while getting knocked around in the water.

I do like having my overall time shown to me throughout the race. not that it affects my pacing, but it's a nice to have.

I go with Edge on bike and 920 on run.

I put overall time into that same "nice to have" category. What I do is I put time-of-day as one of the data fields, usually on a secondary page. Know your wave start time or peek at the clock as you cross the timing mat for a rolling start and you can then figure out your overall time based on time-of-day. Another option if worried about battery life, connection of 920 with power meter, or quick release connection is a hydrid approach. Use 920 for swim and run. Use 920 in swim mode with elapsed time and time-of-day as data fields. You can see the time-of-day on the watch as you hit start. Hit stop when you finish the swim. Use edge on the bike (you still are wearing watch, but it's now in power save mode). Time-of-day will be identical on Edge since they use GPS time (you can even just see the time-of-day as the default watch face in power save mode). In T2 switch 920 to run. Hit start. Pretty simple approach I find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my 920xt & run it in triathlon mode from start to finish. On the bike I have my Edge 510 with a screen that I have set up just for racing. I like having that as a dashboard on the bike so I can quickly look at my power, cadence, and time. If I want to see speed, I can flick my wrist & look at my 920, but I deliberately leave that off my Edge screen.

My 920 & 510 both connect to my HRM and power meter, so the data files are nearly identical. I usually delete the 510 file instead of uploading it to Garmin/TP/Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: bike gps device during triathlon? [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:

I put overall time into that same "nice to have" category. What I do is I put time-of-day as one of the data fields, usually on a secondary page. Know your wave start time or peek at the clock as you cross the timing mat for a rolling start and you can then figure out your overall time based on time-of-day. Another option if worried about battery life, connection of 920 with power meter, or quick release connection is a hydrid approach. Use 920 for swim and run. Use 920 in swim mode with elapsed time and time-of-day as data fields. You can see the time-of-day on the watch as you hit start. Hit stop when you finish the swim. Use edge on the bike (you still are wearing watch, but it's now in power save mode). Time-of-day will be identical on Edge since they use GPS time (you can even just see the time-of-day as the default watch face in power save mode). In T2 switch 920 to run. Hit start. Pretty simple approach I find.

I have been trying to figure out how to have my overall time available, as it does help me with pacing in terms of keeping a lid on my effort early on. For some reason I can never find a clock near the swim start, even at MDot races. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. I just got a new Roka Maverick and my 920xt fits under the wetsuit sleeve which I will try out at a "B" race this weekend. Hoping that this will negate the drag of the watch in the water.

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next