Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
The questions was specific to the thread regarding 1x setup, and going from 10-11 to give the extra range.

It has nothing to do with anything you mentioned, so what you said was stupid and a typical I'm going to ignore your question and try and put you down.

I missed his second reply.....but I didn't see a problem with his original reply?? You asked if it was -worth- it to upgrade, and he mentioned things that were better value... I've done the 11 speed 'upgrade', and can honestly say that other than being compatible with the more recent components, there is pretty much zero value in having 1 extra gear, and the money is better spent on the things he mentioned, better skinsuit and helmet, if you don't already have those things.
If you already have those things, and you are still concerned about -value-, then look to other things (better hydration system, new shoes, etc??). If you aren't concerned about VALUE, then go for it, upgrade to 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See now THATS a different question, if I had asked whether changing to 11 speed was better value than those things, it would have warranted his answer.
But what I wanted to know was -

IF it's a hilly race and you are running a 1x setup is it worth spending the money to upgrade, has anyone who has made this change noticed a difference.
Added to that the clutched type rear mechs seem to come in 11spd, so this would be an added benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
See now THATS a different question, if I had asked whether changing to 11 speed was better value than those things, it would have warranted his answer.

IF it's a hilly race and you are running a 1x setup is it worth spending the money to upgrade, has anyone who has made this change noticed a difference.
Added to that the clutched type rear mechs seem to come in 11spd, so this would be an added benefit.

Ah, OK! :)

So I have a question too (not to you specifically)... Regardless of 10 or 11 speed....what is the real advantage of the single chainring up front?? Are that many people getting dropped chains when switching to small ring?
And if you do choose to do that, is it just a special wide chainring that you install on a regular crank, and a rear derailleur with a longer cage (if necessary)??
I know in Tremblant, on the steep sections at about the 70km mark, I was happy to have my 36 small ring (with 28 in back)!! :)
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Jun 12, 16 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the main logic is being more aero. For me it's a different reason, related to biomechanics.

Yes, you need to use a single ring that is either narrow wide or full height teeth.

Mech depends on the gearing at the back
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Sram 1x RDs will also run up to a 36T large cog with a mid cage unlike the original wifli rd whuch is maxed at 32. There is a long cage version as well.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiPJ5ytUoX/

I might have to get a 4iiii power meter now. Lucky for me they are 25 minutes away and I can drop off.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:

I don't see it as being worth it to upgrade all that stuff simply for the one extra gear.

If you really need a granny gear, just buy a second cassette with a wider gear range for hilly courses and swap back and forth as needed. I don't have a 1x, but cant recall the last time I actually shifted into the small ring up front, so I ride my bbke like it's a 1x. Having ridden both 10 and 11 speeds, I don't find any extra usefulness out of that 11th gear personally, and I ride a lit of hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's really useful stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are cassettes available that would allow you to keep the same wheels so you do not have to change out the wheels OR maybe these are new enough that you can change the body out to 11 speed. There are ways around every potential problem.

The other thing that you can do is use your current set up and just purchase a front 1x designed ring and give it a go. This is what I did as I wanted to see what it was like. I have a 46t front and running an 11/28 rear. I did however use a standard front ring and so far I like what I have tried and I am not any slower on the courses that I have run before with 2 X 10. I am actually faster on a few courses with less training.
Last edited by: BMANX: Jun 12, 16 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Sorry to bring this up again.

I'm considering converting to 11spd, it will cost a considerable amount as I currently have a set of 10spd zipp 808s.
With all the extra money and faff, is it worth it for 1 extra gear?

I don't know your financial situation so tough to say but you are prob going to have to move to 11 speed at some point unless you are trying to hold out for 12 speed. I feel like now is as good time as ever.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running a 50t Wolf tooth up front with a 11-32 11sp cassette & Integra 6870.

I find that the combination of Di2 and 1x setup results in me shifting more often, and lets me focus more of my pedal stroke and posture, as I don't need to think about gearing aside from pressing a button. With 11 gears the jumps aren't disconcerting and are easily manageable.

Suffice to say, don't see myself going back to 2x.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi I'm building a new Tri bike and am going to 1x11 setup and have 3 questions I have not been able to answer with search or google. I willuse a Sram 1x11 chainring (48 or 50) and a Sram Force 1 rear derailleur (clutched type):

1. What chain should I use? Sram 1170 11speed chain? Or Shimano Ultegra 11sp?
2. Can I use an Ultegra cassette?
3. If I start with an 11-32 cassette and then change to an 11-28 cassette will I have to shorten my chain.

Thanks,

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [coolny29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. What chain should I use? Sram 1170 11speed chain? Or Shimano Ultegra 11sp?
Doesn't matter. KMC is also very popular.

2. Can I use an Ultegra cassette?
Yes. The exact gears differ a little bit between cassettes though. Ultegra is 11-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32 while the equivalent SRAM 1170 is 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28-32.

3. If I start with an 11-32 cassette and then change to an 11-28 cassette will I have to shorten my chain.

No.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I get to work on it right now...
Quote Reply

Prev Next