Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Extremely high heart rate when running [faaager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It worked for Mark Allen.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...allens-training.html

It seems that you have not developed your aerobic system correctly. I work on this at the beginning of the year, and it works. Two years ago I ran a 5:30 km pace @ 150bpm, now I run the same pace @ 135-140 bpm. (I live at 2850m above sea level).

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
faaager wrote:
Thank you all for your input.
I've decided to plan my running to get below 150. I will still keep my intervals and some bike workouts at higher HR/Pace.
Why one might ask: I think it's so much more fun. And I train for fun, so...
And I'm competing in my first 70.3 in August and really want to get better before then. So hopefully I can get a good effect by training at lower HR for long runs and still have a nice race pace then.
I'll try to update here once a week with the stats from my runs as well as my resting HR

Have you considered hiring a coach?? I understand you're doing this for "fun" but you are also competitive or you wouldn't be looking for help on how to get faster for longer. Additionally, I agree with some of the suggestions on here that you have to do base endurance training. If you have any questions or need some help let me know.

Hope this helps.

Pat Green
Green Multisport Training

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read your data, but....

When training and racing, my resting HR (seated, 10min) was generally around 50BPM. At that time, I'd half marathon in about 1:45 and average about 180BPM. I had no idea that was a high HR,.

Once while on a 100km weekend ride the group leader drifted back and started chatting with me. We were going about 38kph on a relatively windless day. He asked my HR and I said 165BPM. He just about rode off the road. He said he'd set his to go off and 125BPM and it hadn't beeped yet!

My HR climbs very quickly and stays high while I exercise, but drops very quickly again when I take it easy or stop. I could hit 200BPM swimming, cycling or running, and still have gears left to go harder. I could hold 200BPM for about 5 min or so before running out of steam.

Almost accidentally I started seeing a cardiologist. He diagnosed met (at just 175BPM on the treadmill) with the highest exercise blood pressure he'd ever personally seen. 285/105. No, that's not a typo. He stopped the test because he was afraid I was going to stroke out on the treadmill! Long story short, that was one of the factors that ultimately led me to stop training and racing (I had such a low max HR imposed on me, that I couldn't go fast enough to train with friends or race, so gave up.

I'm no doctor, but I am "internet certified" and all I'd say is get checked out by an actual professional (preferably one that deals with athletes). You might be fine or you might have an issue to deal with. Right now, you don't know. Get checked out, then you will know.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely high heart rate when running [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread made me go on Ebay and pick-up a chest strap monitor, bluetooth to the watch and it works great. (The treadmill function needs calib though because pace is wonky.)

First test yesterday I ramped it up to max speed my mill will go. That also is pretty much hitting the max my legs will carry me. Now the Tomtom software spits messages as you scroll up the graph that go like this

-100 bpm (Easy)
100-120 (FAT BURN)
120-135 (Endure)
136-150 (Speed)
151-170 (Sprint)
Over 170 the text goes to ( ) as shown. Does that mean it's too close to check-out time?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next