Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Timtek wrote:
You know who also got seconds at the 70.3 WC last year? Javier Gomez. No one seems to be writing him off even though he's never actually done an Ironman.

Um, Javier Gomez might be the best overall triathlete in the history of triathlon. Easily top 5 all time.

Heather Wurtele, while a great triathlete, isn't in the same universe as Gomez.

You're being a unrealistic homer.

Never know till he races. Simon Lessing had some big expectations in Kona, think he is 0-2 on finishes in the big island.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
robgray wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
I should google this but, does anyone know who Lionel's main coach is this year?

His main one is Coach Sanders. so far he's doing a great job!

I thought he was using Coach Rob Gray's high fat slow burn nutrition plan?

That's a secret. But judging from his speeds, he is obviously using Rob Gray's high fat, high carb, high burn plan!
In addition, Frodo is paying me a bonus to get Lionel on the patented Jan Ullrich off season eating plan during August!

You could get Frodo to pay you to sign up Kienle, TO, McMahon and Symonds for the patented Jan Ullrich diet too for Aug and Sep...then again, while they are on their mega high volume, the Ullrich eating plan might be perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post Barrie - thanks for the insight
My $ is on brent
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Ken66 wrote:
Sanders......this year. His swim is better. He is destroying the best of the best on the bike and the run. I think if he times it right and goes in with the proper taper, he will stay close enough on the swim and catch the leaders by mile 18- 20 or so on the run and take it home from there.

Seriously?

You Canadians are so desperate for attention that you have lost your grip on reality. Name the last winner who came out of the water 8-10 mins down on the main contenders. The closest I can think of is Kienle and he was 4 mins back.

8-10 minutes behind out of the water.......How about a winner that came off the bike 10+ minutes behind. Rinny closed that gap on the main contenders and then some!
Last year I don't think Frodo was really pushed on the run it was his all the way. Brent had a horrible marathon running a 3:06 if he ran a 2:50 which we know he is capable of doing he wins. That being said you put two people up at the front battling each other and they could both blow up and not even podium. There are too many "ifs" it is all about who puts together their best on that day both mentally and physically!
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a few stray observations:

-i don't see the brownlees moving up to ironman. they're formula one cars, and IM is a race for diesels. especially kona.

-all respect to brent, but like the others i'd suggest some caution in interpreting his brazil result. the other guys went pretty quick, and liz lyles went comfortably sub-9 as well. on the other hand, if it was a totally draft-free, accurate course, sub-8 might have cooked him and could leave him flat for kona.

-i'd guess that javier would want to show up to kona to win, not to have fun. the olympics are relatively late (august) and kona relatively early (oct 8th), and everything that we've heard about the post-olympics insanity is true. he'd be a tired man by october, i think.

-it's not at all a sure thing that gomez will win the olympics, either. . .

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Brent and Sanders have a chance... Brent would need a race like when Jacobs won it, but i wouldn't count out Sanders from anything.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
a few stray observations:

-i don't see the brownlees moving up to ironman. they're formula one cars, and IM is a race for diesels. especially kona.

Both have stated they are going to. Alistair after Rio and Jonathan after 2020.

http://lavamagazine.com/...ith-eyes-on-ironman/

Quote:
After the Olympics in Rio, Alistair plans on moving up in distance, suggesting half and full Ironman racing, a move that Jonathan says he’s probably going to wait to pursue after the 2020 Tokyo Games.

On the subject of Ironman, Jonathan said, ”It’s the pure side of the sport in that it’s man versus man,” he says.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post Barrie!!

"Finally, Lionel has proven how mentally tough he is, and when he puts his mind to something, he often accomplishes it (if not on the first attempt then very soon after)."

The question was "Who will win in the next 3 years", I think it's a given Lionel will continue to improve on that swim and it will get to a more respectable range. Then he can unleash that World best Bike / Run combo. He will be the first to not swim in that main pack and win Kona. Take that to the bank or Vegas...
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

-all respect to brent, but like the others i'd suggest some caution in interpreting his brazil result. the other guys went pretty quick, and liz lyles went comfortably sub-9 as well. on the other hand, if it was a totally draft-free, accurate course, sub-8 might have cooked him and could leave him flat for kona.

I'm not sure where you got that it was a " totally draft-free, accurate course" in Brazil... There are several reports of it being a draft fest, especially for the leaders as a pack of cars and motorbikes was at the front, providing shelter.... Mike Aigroz made it pretty clear in his tweets about the race, and there is also a TRIMES article about the race that provides a similar perspective, and AlexEmetic (if think it is his pseudo, here) usually benefits from a bunch of athletes' feedback. It is in French, so I do believe most of the people didn't hear from it...
So, even if I am Canadian, I would disregard this race in evaluating the ability of Brent McMahon to be a contender for Kona based on these reports....

Coming back to the overall subject of this thread, when it comes to Lionel Sanders, I believe his destiny is in his hands, its seems his mental and approach to the world are both his biggest advantages and also his biggest hurdles.... He comes across as very stubborn in his approach and somehow very amateurish. If he could change that, listen to advice, find good people to help him for everything he is not mastering (swim, bike technical stuffs, and even PR....), he would probably be a contender. I understand that he's had a bad experience in the past, and might be reluctant to work with people, but it is not alone that he will face the challenges that come with preparing an A-race. Even at a lower level, having a buddy system in place, with one person to look from the outside and prevent you to do stupid things just before the race, should be a must; and at one point, close to a race, a coach/safeguard should be that person who reassures you and keeps common-sense prevailing....

And after 2016, the window of opportunity is closing even more. You already have incredible competitors, like Frodeno, Kienle, Raelert (that people often forget...), etc... and the density will probably increase when Gomez and some other ITU guys move on to WTC races... Not all of them will translate into good full-distance racers, but some probably will ...
Last edited by: LionelB: Jun 2, 16 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [LionelB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Lionel has already learned from the errors of the past and made significant changes. I'm sure he will continue to learn and adjust as he moves forward. You gotta fail and trip up in order to make progress. I think we will see that next step this year. Maybe not a win, but darn close. After that, book in the win. I wish Vegas had it on the board. I would bet the house on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [Phoenixrising] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Thread!!!!

I think Brent and Lionel have are in the running to win it, Brent is better positioned since he comes out of the water in the lead pack, so he theoretically should be less cooked coming off the bike. Lionel I think needs to work on heat acclimation, he is a big guy hence generating a lot of heat.
Not sure in the next 3 years but I think eventually Lionel will be at the top of the podium.
As for the women, last year Daniela was I think had a 3 - 4 lead at the turn around at Hawi, but she just powered away on the way back to Kona and it was something like 12 minutes, I don't see anyone beating her in the next couple of years, the one person I though could do it, Hauschildt has dropped way off.
Angela Naeth has been relatively quiet this year, is she nursing an injury?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 50% of the pros entering Kona have a legitimate shot at winning. While Daniela had a great 2015 year, entering Kona, barring Rinny's crash prior to the race, I think a majority had bets on Rinny. Rinny knew the women would try to get her as far as possible on the bike and had worked hard on trying to not let that happen. But stuff happened, she didn't win. Ryf won, and is deservedly a (the?) favorite this year, but again, stuff can happen, and someone no one had foreseen could have a great race and benefit from these turns of events. Like Potts. Or Raelert. Or Michelle Vesterby. Or Ben Hoffman. I mean, those are still great athletes and a conjunction of having the race of their life + misfortune of others could get them to win or on the podium (or close to it anyway).

Now assuming anyone is having a solid race and no mechanical problems, the only Canadian I could see myself put money on is Lionel, but not in the next few years. Lionel is not going to compete mostly against Frodeno and Gomez, they already have 5-6 years on him. When he reaches his prime, they will be considering retirement. He'll be mostly competing against the Brownlees whenever they make the jump. I think Lionel should continue his dominance on 70.3 before moving to full, but that's his decision to make, not mine. I also think he needs get used to Kona heat, but he knows that already. I like Brent, Jeff, Heather, Angela, but I wouldn't bet on them making a podium. But again, I wouldn't be surprised either if they did make a podium...

Anyway, I prefer surprising turns of events and a feel good story (Rappstar winning in Tremblant last year, Jesse Thomas beating Frodeno in Lanzarote, Rinny getting back at Ryf in 2014 when most had deemed her too far off the bike). Or the face of Michelle Vesterby in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Canadian athlete will win Kona in the next three years? [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
Angela Naeth has been relatively quiet this year, is she nursing an injury?

Yes. Injured foot a few days before Kona. Again an obstacle prior to the most important race of the year. She posted second fastest bike split (after Ryf) then abandoned before the run.

This keeps happening to her. She kicks ass all year, then things go to crap for the world's (70.3 in years past... this was her first Kona). Takes a wrong turn on the bike or crashes or gets a stress fracture or abandons due to overtraining symptoms....

Not sure if bad luck or if her head is just not in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Timtek wrote:
You know who also got seconds at the 70.3 WC last year? Javier Gomez. No one seems to be writing him off even though he's never actually done an Ironman.

Um, Javier Gomez might be the best overall triathlete in the history of triathlon. Easily top 5 all time.

My point really was that anybody on the podium at the 70.3 WC last year is certainly capable of being on the podium on the Big Island in the next three.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next