Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2016 Kestrel Talon vs 2013 Kilo
Quote | Reply
Assuming both fit... What is people's opinions on a new Kestrel Talon tri vs a clearance model QR Kilo. The Kestrel is 105 11 speed the QR is SRAM Rival 10 speed. Both carbon.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kestrel Talon vs 2013 Kilo [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The talon is a road bike.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kestrel Talon vs 2013 Kilo [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correction Jason - road bike that can emulate a tri bike.

For me, the move from a Cannondale Slice to a Talon was beneficial. The Different geometry helped me compensate for head, neck, shoulder service related injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know nothing about the QR Kilo, but I have been riding a Kestrel Talon for six years and it has been a solid bike. It would be hard to beat for the price.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kestrel Talon vs 2013 Kilo [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering that position is more important then aeroness of the frame, I would think the kilo would win hands down.

The talon does both road and triathlon ok, but, if you want a faster position, go with the kilo. I've got nothing against the talon, I owned and loved a 2010 for several years before it got wrecked in a crash. It was replaced by an S2, and honestly, I didn't really feel a difference between those two bikes, despite the s2 costing double what the talon was worth.

Mecca dominated for years on a talon (before super bikes took off, mind you).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The carbon in the Talon is of poor quality and flexes significantly (medial-lateral - in the Talon's defense the 4000 flexes like a saw blade when under load). Not a fan at all. I think there are a number of alloy options at the same price point that are superior.

Are the wheels on the Kilo 11-speed compatible? If not and you wanted to upgrade at some point, it might require an additional investment to upgrade the wheels (or get new ones).

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kestrel Talon vs 2013 Kilo [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not true at all. I designed that bike and it uses the SAME Toray carbon as other bikes. And on frame deflection is tests much higher than most due to the construction method. It's not an SL version so not as light but it is plenty stiff in the BB area.

Steven Harad
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kestrel Talon vs 2013 Kilo [CEEPO USA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CEEPO USA wrote:
Not true at all. I designed that bike and it uses the SAME Toray carbon as other bikes. And on frame deflection is tests much higher than most due to the construction method. It's not an SL version so not as light but it is plenty stiff in the BB area.
We took video at 120 fps of the Kestrel 4000 and compared it to a number of entry-level options with the same rider, same saddle height, and same resistance and found the Kestrel moved as much as 2 cm at the seat and more than one at the seat post insertion point.

All other options had less than half that displacement.

No doubt, the BB area may be plenty stiff, but the saddle moves under the rider significantly more than other options. We have visually confirmed similar movement with the Talon.

Here's a video where we tried our best to break down frame flexibility and why it's important:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKmsHtsD6qU

It was actually the observation of a rider on a Kestrel that was the genesis of this project.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Jun 1, 16 6:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on a talon for 2-3 years now. At my height 6'6 this was really my main carbon option for an entry level with a large frame priced in the 1000-1500 dollar range; I ride the 60cm.

Mine came with road bars, clip on tri bars, 327 wheels which is the stock for this bike, and Shimano 105 minus the front derailleur, I believe that was Tiagra.

Over the course of my time on this bike, I've upgraded quite a bit. Carbon wheels, 58mm. New seat, 130mm stem, ditched the roadies and got a PRO base with T4 bars, used J4 brackets to drop the pads - this was via the bike fit which I was skeptical on at first being 250.00 but I would now recommend anyone to get a realbike fit before investing in parts, possibly the cheapest gains you can buy, be it distance comfort or speed from position.

I love the bike. Have my eyes in the IA series but I'm pretty content. The seat tube angle is aggressive enough for a tri position but lax enough for comfort road. Even after putting it down last year doing around 20mph it took the hit and kept going.

For the price, it's a fantastic entry bike. I can't tell you one is better than the other, but I'm a happy Talon owner. Pic attached from my last race.

Good luck!

Edit: The Tiagra was tossed last year for a 105, since its performed great.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jun 1, 16 17:51
Quote Reply