Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
Will Clarke posted up a a video of one of the packs riding 2 metre's apart - free wheeling along. He also said the lead guys were being some what motor paced while he was between the 2 packs on his own. No mention of specific athletes so don't know Brent was among those of either pack.

Clearly he was getting some assistance. To ride what he did and then run what he did is almost super human and everyone deep down knows it.

He's unable to do it in Kona as Jimmy would never allow the pros to get away with it.

Maybe why he can't even break 8:30 there

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
rhys wrote:
Peter did Ironman Austria 1999 7:51:56....back before it was cool to go sub 8-:) lol

Nice. PJC proves once again he is clueless.

HAHA

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:10 is uber biker speed. Would be interesting to see his power file. Think Will Clarke's NP was close to 300 and he was getting smashed.
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling is dangerous. By myself Sunday some dude in a one piece tri kit passes me on the right on a sweeping left hand corner descending. On the RIGHT! Nearly clips me in his Pantani crotch behind the seat superman position. Bottom of hill he nearly takes out a guy and his dog at the cross walk! Had the nerve to wave hello to me rolling thru town a few minutes later. I just shake my head. WTF?

At the Tuscon shoot out I was taken down in a crash I could not avoid. 14 stitches to my elbow.

At an Ontario Cup race I was clipped by rider coming around me at 70k/HR descending. Concussion and 2 years of jabbing abdominal pain while doing 2 ironman's I get diagnosed with a "hockey hernia" and am off work 6 weeks for surgery.

This doesn't include the near car misses!

Point being, 3 examples all different. All unrelated. Cycling, as you know, is dangerous.

I don't race bikes anymore for same reason u won't DL race. Safety.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
Yes, non-draft is catered to AG athletes, while ITU is catered to a professional setting. That's the big difference. It's why if you can stay in ITU, athletes will stay in ITU. You don't leave ITU unless you just can't hack it, or get tired of the BS politics when your not the overwhelming fastest athlete of your federation.

So now the question becomes how does ITU change your mindset. You have this idea as you stated on 2 different posts you'd never do DL because of some yahoo putting you in the hospital. Whether true or not isn't the issue. The issue is, how can ITU get you to atleast appreciate DL racing to care enough to watch/support it. Or is it simply because most AG'ers will never do it, that they won't ever give it the time of day to just appreciate it for the fantastic racing that it provides. Because ITU racing is far and away the best production in triathlon. It's just the best production in front of very little audience. So can a guy like yourself, not want to do DL but still appreciate it?

So my question is, Dev, do you pay $20 to watch ~10 ITU races? If so why? If not, is it because you don't do it?

Hi Brooks, I actually follow every ITU race and the results. For the same reason I don't pay to follow the ICC World Cup, or the upcoming Euro or the Rugby World cup, I don't pay to watch the ITU events, because of the time zone differences. I just read up on what happened. Only reason I follow ITU is because I am a triathlete, but I am going to care about the results from the various top flight European Football leagues (soccer), Tennis and NFL a bit more before ITU (mainly because other family members will watch those too, so we have something to talk about). But I do follow it every weekend. The odd time there is a tri on TV here in Canada, it will be on in my house over the other sports, just because it is on.

All that aside, many of us care more about what Brent is doing now vs when he was racing ITU. As GMAN said in many threads pros are irrelevant because the show is about the age groupers and they just happen to be playing in our sand box. Well, I won't take the extreme view that they are irrelevant and that they are playing in our sand box. I would say we are playing in the same sand box which makes us care about what they do making them relevant to us.
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Cycling is dangerous. By myself Sunday some dude in a one piece tri kit passes me on the right on a sweeping left hand corner descending. On the RIGHT! Nearly clips me in his Pantani crotch behind the seat superman position. Bottom of hill he nearly takes out a guy and his dog at the cross walk! Had the nerve to wave hello to me rolling thru town a few minutes later. I just shake my head. WTF?

At the Tuscon shoot out I was taken down in a crash I could not avoid. 14 stitches to my elbow.

At an Ontario Cup race I was clipped by rider coming around me at 70k/HR descending. Concussion and 2 years of jabbing abdominal pain while doing 2 ironman's I get diagnosed with a "hockey hernia" and am off work 6 weeks for surgery.

This doesn't include the near car misses!

Point being, 3 examples all different. All unrelated. Cycling, as you know, is dangerous.

I don't race bikes anymore for same reason u won't DL race. Safety.

I agree that cycling is really dangerous. I think those of us who have been forced to miss work and had long term damage from cycling crashes pick and choose our battles on the bike (risk and reward). Non draft racing is a risk I am willing to take, cycling with people I KNOW is a risk I am willing to take. I refuse to only ride the trainer in fear of cars and other obstacles and risk those to ride outdoors. Next week I am heading to France to ride at Alpe d"Huez area and riding in the mountains carries risk that I am willing to take. I would not ride in the Marmotte ir Etape du Tour with 10,000 cyclo tourists though. I cut the line at that. I am willing to ride the Marmotte route with with a bunch of friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
4:10 is uber biker speed. Would be interesting to see his power file. Think Will Clarke's NP was close to 300 and he was getting smashed.

Yeah prob not as high as you'd think it should be given a friend who just got back from Brazil said each time he was Brent he was extremely close to the leave motorbike.

Reminds me of the stories that Macca used to tell in Roth. He used to ride up and talk to the camera motorbike and they had to drop back so they could get the audio therefore allowing him to draft off the camera bike.

Seems Brent may have done the same thing.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why I thought it would be interesting to see his power file which may give a guide to how much assistance he might have gained. Again similarly would be good to see power files for the guys free wheeling in the large pack 2 metre's apart from each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can understand why Will, plus others, aren't happy about paying to travel half way around the world then the rules of the race aren't enforced. It's not about pride and winning but earning money to live on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
That's why I thought it would be interesting to see his power file which may give a guide to how much assistance he might have gained. Again similarly would be good to see power files for the guys free wheeling in the large pack 2 metre's apart from each other.

At ~150 lbs and 5'9"/5'10" with Brent's position and equipment, can someone model what the wattage would have been for a 4:10 split on the type of pavement and atmospheric pressure assuming pushing your own air entirely? Forget about getting any files, I would still be curious about the estimated range. Are we talking around 250W for 43.2 kph?
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Interview with Brent and Lance (coach) starts at the ~12 min mark

>http://www.cheknews.ca/...-june-5-2016-183667/

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Climb that mountain. Brent's havin'a beer

While we are skiin'

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon's background?? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
2:35! Nuts.

30th in Kona

2:49 run.

Yeah No.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize they were talking about Peter and not Brent?
Quote Reply

Prev Next