Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
What characterises a fear as being irrational or rational is clearly somewhat subjective, but should be based on the chances of it occurring and the consequences. Then one need consider the impact (financially or otherwise) on taking steps to reduce the risk you may be afraid of.

Installing smoke detectors (apart from being a legal requirement), is inexpensive and has no negative implications - only positive ones. The outcome of a fire can be devastating. Therefore it's entirely rational for you to install smoke detectors, despite the very low risk of a fire in your home.

Bringing a gun into your home to protect against a possible home invasion is a less clear-cut decision. You may assess the risk of an invasion to be so high that the increased risk of suicide or family homicide is worth taking. Your choice. Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.

Evidently you didn't read the thread about the toast burning.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

US suicide statistics 2001 (the first stats I stumbled across when looking):

Firearms 55%
Hanging or suffocation 20%
Poisoning 17%
Falls 2%
Cutting 1.5%
Drowning 1.1%
Fire 0.5%

So yes, I believe that not having accessible firearms in the house with kids living there is a wise choice. Suicidal thoughts amongst teenagers going through puberty is not uncommon. I believe that as a parent of a teenager, I am being far more responsible by NOT having a firearm accessible in the house, than having one based on an irrational fear of home invasion. Others clearly view things differently. And if that fear of home invasion is not irrational, then moving to a safer neighborhood should be considered.

I've read that ridiculous argument from several people. You realize that criminals have cars and can travel outside of their own neighborhoods? I live in a nice neighborhood, it has been targeted by criminals several times in the 12 years that I have lived here. Is there some magic place that criminals stay away from because it is too nice or safe?

People like you like to say that gun owners have an "irrational fear", but the truth is that it isn't irrational because home invasions and burglaries happen every day. You may want to look up the meaning of that word.

You remind me of my 10 year old daughter who sees a news story of a house burning down and gets frightened that ours will burn down too. I explain that yes, houses sometimes burn down, but also that the TV news doesn't report on the millions of homes that didn't burn down yesterday.

If you feel the desire to have a gun in your home, and it's legal, then go for it. Just understand the increased risks of suicide or homicide of one of your family members by doing so. If after assessing that risk you still want a gun in your home, then that's fine too. Just be aware of the statistics.

And here's a book you might want to read:

https://www.amazon.com/...=how+not+to+be+wrong

As you advise others not to be irrationally afraid of very uncommon occurrences, you might consider the relative rarity of suicides. It's not like getting a gun means someone will kill themselves in your house.

Completely agree. You should read that book - it's actually a pretty entertaining read.

When a study finds "eating bacon doubles your risk of heart disease" one may think, "Oh, I'd better stop eating bacon". But then you read on, and find that, say, eating 4oz of bacon a day (quite a lot of bacon) increases your risk of heart disease from 0.1% to 0.2% (i.e. still a very low risk). In other words, you really have to understand the numbers, not just read the headline.

But you also have to still (subjectively) consider the consequences too, and how much they matter to you. For example, if having a gun in my home increases the risk of my child committing suicide by 40% (as the study I cited above found), then while it is still a small risk, that increase in likelihood is simply unacceptable for me to take because the consequences are too great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

US suicide statistics 2001 (the first stats I stumbled across when looking):

Firearms 55%
Hanging or suffocation 20%
Poisoning 17%
Falls 2%
Cutting 1.5%
Drowning 1.1%
Fire 0.5%

So yes, I believe that not having accessible firearms in the house with kids living there is a wise choice. Suicidal thoughts amongst teenagers going through puberty is not uncommon. I believe that as a parent of a teenager, I am being far more responsible by NOT having a firearm accessible in the house, than having one based on an irrational fear of home invasion. Others clearly view things differently. And if that fear of home invasion is not irrational, then moving to a safer neighborhood should be considered.

I've read that ridiculous argument from several people. You realize that criminals have cars and can travel outside of their own neighborhoods? I live in a nice neighborhood, it has been targeted by criminals several times in the 12 years that I have lived here. Is there some magic place that criminals stay away from because it is too nice or safe?

People like you like to say that gun owners have an "irrational fear", but the truth is that it isn't irrational because home invasions and burglaries happen every day. You may want to look up the meaning of that word.

You remind me of my 10 year old daughter who sees a news story of a house burning down and gets frightened that ours will burn down too. I explain that yes, houses sometimes burn down, but also that the TV news doesn't report on the millions of homes that didn't burn down yesterday.

If you feel the desire to have a gun in your home, and it's legal, then go for it. Just understand the increased risks of suicide or homicide of one of your family members by doing so. If after assessing that risk you still want a gun in your home, then that's fine too. Just be aware of the statistics.

And here's a book you might want to read:

https://www.amazon.com/...=how+not+to+be+wrong

As you advise others not to be irrationally afraid of very uncommon occurrences, you might consider the relative rarity of suicides. It's not like getting a gun means someone will kill themselves in your house.

Completely agree. You should read that book - it's actually a pretty entertaining read.

When a study finds "eating bacon doubles your risk of heart disease" one may think, "Oh, I'd better stop eating bacon". But then you read on, and find that, say, eating 4oz of bacon a day (quite a lot of bacon) increases your risk of heart disease from 0.1% to 0.2% (i.e. still a very low risk). In other words, you really have to understand the numbers, not just read the headline.

But you also have to still (subjectively) consider the consequences too, and how much they matter to you. For example, if having a gun in my home increases the risk of my child committing suicide by 40% (as the study I cited above found), then while it is still a small risk, that increase in likelihood is simply unacceptable for me to take because the consequences are too great.

I think a similar argument could and would be used by someone arming themselves for self defense.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course. Which is why my original post in this thread discussed assessing both risks.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
there is no morality in devine command. i chose to be a good person because it creates a better world for all of us, not because somone told me to or threatens me with punishment if im not.

So I take it that believe that it would be wrong for you to commit murder (in case where it was not self defense). Do you tell your child that it is wrong to commit murder, or do you tell your child that he is free to decide whether to "be a good person" or whether "murder creates a worse world."

You didn't answer me above. I'm wondering: do you think it is ever ok to act with retaliation or revenge as your motive.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know a single American who feels the need to defend their home (from burglars) with guns.

I lived in the U.S for 5 years. On my street, 3 of the 5 homes had homeowners who kept guns in their homes to defend from burglars. That was in a nice quiet part of Phoenix.

I think it's far more common than you are suggesting.

Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I don't know a single American who feels the need to defend their home (from burglars) with guns.

I lived in the U.S for 5 years. On my street, 3 of the 5 homes had homeowners who kept guns in their homes to defend from burglars. That was in a nice quiet part of Phoenix.

I think it's far more common than you are suggesting.

Well I live in California.

Here's something to ponder... Texas has a very high rate of people who use firearms for home security and they a very small amount of burglaries.

Mmmmm, I wonder why that is....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference between our countries is that I don't even think about someone kicking in my door. From the outside looking in, Americans (rightly or wrongly) are viewed as paranoid.

I think a lot can be attributed to the media and government. In most Presidential elections, you will hear comments about who will keep you the safest (usually from terror but from crime too). Crime rates are very high in the U.S so it is a real issue to many.

The media of course, sensationalizes crime. I bicycled through the U.S and it never occurred to me to be worried about crime. One evening, I stayed at a home where they would be watching shows on "true crimes". After seeing that, I started questioning camping in the wild and being leery of some cities. It was irrational but I can imagine that if you watch shows like that every day, you would be putting up barricades and arming yourself for the inevitable wave of murderers coming your way.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
there is no morality in devine command. i chose to be a good person because it creates a better world for all of us, not because somone told me to or threatens me with punishment if im not.

So I take it that believe that it would be wrong for you to commit murder (in case where it was not self defense). Do you tell your child that it is wrong to commit murder, or do you tell your child that he is free to decide whether to "be a good person" or whether "murder creates a worse world."

You didn't answer me above. I'm wondering: do you think it is ever ok to act with retaliation or revenge as your motive.

Of course I tell my children that murder is wrong. Its objectively wrong because we all (sane people)agree that it causes great harm.

I think revenge is a murky prospect. Not all retaliation could really be described as Revenge. I don't think I would support revenge in most circumstances. I think that retaliation could be necessary for justice. Of course an eye for an eye should not be the goal of retaliation.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your replies -- helps my understanding.

Quote:
Of course I tell my children that murder is wrong. Its objectively wrong because we all (sane people)agree that it causes great harm.

I don't see how you are then any different than a divine father who tells us the same thing.

Is agreement a necessary factor for something to be objectively wrong? Imagine apocalypse comes (perhaps something akin to Mad Max scenario) and assume that most people come to believe that murder is not wrong -- suppose they develop some worldview in which individual choice of whether to kill or not kill for any reason is necessary and important -- would murder no longer be objectively wrong?

How about the pro-choice or pro-life positions on abortion -- is neither objectively right or wrong since we seem to have split?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying directly to you but to the thread in general..

Can we please throw a little racism in the mix here for the sake of discussion? I mean we already have gun control, darwinism at its finest and religion. I think it just need race to be brought up to be complete.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Can we please throw a little racism in the mix here for the sake of discussion? I mean we already have gun control, darwinism at its finest and religion. I think it just need race to be brought up to be complete.

I'm too busy to oblige personally. I am reading Leonardo DiCaprio's global warming tweets and looking at his selfies, both from cabin of private jet on his way to one of his houses.

________
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Calling Duffy in 3..2..1..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Well if you have kids then I hope you're comfortable having easy access to the guns. An 18 year old boy in my town just tragically committed suicide with his father's gun. Very few outward signs of being unhappy. Has stunned the community and of course devastated the family.

I would guess a very, very low percentage of households in my town (northern NJ) have guns (based on all the people I know). Maybe the boy would have committed suicide another way if he didn't have easy access to a gun, but maybe he wouldn't and would still be alive today. Imagine his father having to wonder that...

Is home invasion really such a threat that you feel it necessary to keep guns in your home? Is that a wise choice?

Kay. I think I covered YOUR concern when I stated "I also don't give a fuck whether anyone (next door, down the street, in the state, in this country and especially half way around the world) likes it or not".

I do think my choice is a wise one. I raised by children with a guns located in the same places as they are today. I taught them about them. I now have grandchildren and they know or will know what is allowed and what is not.

I live in a million dollar house on a lake. I have nice things. Do you think thieves will only steal from their neighbors and those without? I don't.

I have also been attacked and attempted to harm/kill while out on a run. Idiots being macho while high on drugs is my guess. So now I run with pepper spray (I have considered running with a gun). Shit happens. People can be unpredictable.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to run with a gun when I first started triathlons. I live in the boon docs with some shady areas nearby and a lot of loose dogs (pitbull variety). Sure, I could have run in the safety of my neighborhood, but that got boring as the mileage increased. Also, much of my neighborhood was undeveloped. Eventually you find there isn't a gun light enough to comfortably carry on a run, except maybe a derringer. So now, I carry a t-knife on my house key. Have a bigger one for colder weather. They handle humans and wild animals alike pretty well if you don't mind getting a little rough. Having been a boxer most of my life, I'm sure I could land a good one with one of those that would end a fight quickly.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
orphious wrote:

I'm too busy to oblige personally. I am reading Leonardo DiCaprio's global warming tweets and looking at his selfies, both from cabin of private jet on his way to one of his houses.

OMG!! Thanks for that. we completely missed climate change as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

I live in a million dollar house on a lake. I have nice things.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's great. everything you just wrote could have been written by the father of the boy who just shot himself in the head in his church car park 2 weeks ago. that father taught his kid about guns (they would go shooting together), and the boy knew what he was doing was 'wrong' - apologising in a 4 page hand-written note to his family for his selfish act. as I said to someone else, and I do mean this sincerely, good luck. trust me, the consequences can be devastating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

I think revenge is a murky prospect. Not all retaliation could really be described as Revenge. I don't think I would support revenge in most circumstances. I think that retaliation could be necessary for justice. Of course an eye for an eye should not be the goal of retaliation.

I think it's funny that you characterize murder as "objectively wrong," because we all agree it causes harm.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many times have you had to pull a gun or knife to defend yourself while running?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I used to run with a gun when I first started triathlons. I live in the boon docs with some shady areas nearby and a lot of loose dogs (pitbull variety). Sure, I could have run in the safety of my neighborhood, but that got boring as the mileage increased. Also, much of my neighborhood was undeveloped. Eventually you find there isn't a gun light enough to comfortably carry on a run, except maybe a derringer. So now, I carry a t-knife on my house key. Have a bigger one for colder weather. They handle humans and wild animals alike pretty well if you don't mind getting a little rough. Having been a boxer most of my life, I'm sure I could land a good one with one of those that would end a fight quickly.

I have to keep reminding myself when I (re)read this post that you're most likely being 100% serious. If you weren't, it would have been very funny. Actually it's funny either way.

I think this is my favourite line:

"Have a bigger one for colder weather"

Honestly I have tears in my eyes as I write this. Thank you for a good chuckle!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you are amused. By bigger I mean wearing a jacket with pockets allows me to carry a bigger knife without it swinging in the pockets of my shorts.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Go to wrong apartment, end up dead [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've made it ready with loose dogs. But was able to use my alpha male dominance to make them back down.

Quote Reply

Prev Next