Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carmen Small, natl TT champ. 650c? You tell me. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi jaretj,

No, but I personally think that would be really cool, and could present the case for consideration. I'd be interested to see your preferred geometry, and a guess as to the number of riders who might buy such a bike.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Carmen Small, natl TT champ. 650c? You tell me. [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi jaretj,

No, but I personally think that would be really cool, and could present the case for consideration. I'd be interested to see your preferred geometry, and a guess as to the number of riders who might buy such a bike.

Cheers,
Damon

My personal issue is that I have short legs and gorilla length arms. I need a low saddle to get the right knee angle and the corresponding low bar height to get the right hip angle. Now I'm not exceedingly low, it's just I'm 64" have the arm-span and body length of someone that is 67".

The problem I have with the 700C road bike is that when I get the bars in the position I like, (I've done it on my Felt F5) the bottom of the handlebars are below the top of the front tire and I don't think that is legal for ITU draft legal racing (I don't seem to be able to get an answer from anyone about that). I'm using the shortest drop bar I can find (Bontrager Race VR-S), I've thought about bending the bottom of the drops up slightly since I only need about 3/4"

Now if I could find a 700C bike with a higher bottom bracket that would work great, it would be similar to putting blocks on my pedals like when I was young.

As for the guess as to the number of riders who may buy such a bike, I know it'd be small but Cannondale could paint it pink and put flowers on it to market it to small Asian women and I'd still ride it.

My measurements for my Cannondale CAAD5 XS (44) are in my profile. I really like that bike but it's really short front to back. The Trek 2200 I have in there fits great but the frame is 16 years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand. Roger Hammond told me the same thing, the UCI does require the bars not be lower than the tire. But he was worried about his knuckles rubbing other riders' rear tires!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote jaretj
I'm going to look for that stem, I'm currently using a Performance bike adjustable. It's OK but I'd like to get away from it.[/quote]
This rider had a single bolt adjustable on her P4. It creaked and flexed - was never the ideal solution.
The FSA is quite pricey and the clamp on the bar is 50mm wide so can be a limiter on aerobar width. But it is a solid and useful bit of kit. I've got one too - to compensate for high stack bars on my 56

With the Vision clip ons you get a 5mm drop in Pad Stack for every step outwards in pad width. So it can be useful to go with narrow hands to get the right pad width on a wide setting.
Quote Reply
Re: Carmen Small, natl TT champ. 650c? You tell me. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again, I saw they were a bit pricey.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Carmen Small, natl TT champ. 650c? You tell me. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
geauxTT wrote:
Quote:
Bang for your buck, it's tough to beat. Anyone care to guess?

I'll say the Velotoze shoe covers.

Ding, ding, ding. Velotoze - $18, practically disposable (which is good 'cause they're easy to rip), and they've tested faster than anything else out there over and over again.

Have you tested these against the Smart Areo shoe covers?
Quote Reply
Re: Carmen Small, natl TT champ. 650c? You tell me. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again, thanks for taking the time to explain.
Quote Reply
Re: Carmen Small, natl TT champ. 650c? You tell me. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't see any reason to go 650/700. dual 650 makes more sense. but it's arguing between 2 options that aren't going to see daylight.
Front wheel power "requirement" is more aero and less rolling resistance than rear wheel. So the optimum size for each should be not the same.

Slowman wrote:
to the argument that 700c has better rolling resistance, fine. but if 700 is better for a lady who is 5'5", why isn't 800 better for a man who is 6'3". you can't have it both ways.

Quote Reply

Prev Next