Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spend a little time sliding on my head at 25 mph and I love my helmet!

Helmets may not prevent all head injuries but they will prevent almost all cases of head road rash and a decent amount of face road rash if you are sliding on your side. Gloves don't stop broken wrists either but they'll keep the skin on your palms in some situations. I know the window of crashes where you'd die without a helmet but live with one is pretty narrow, but I never leave home without my helmet, or my gloves. There is more to going to work on Monday or sleeping comfortably post crash than just being alive ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over the bars downhilling on my MTB earlier this year. Happened so fast I didn't even get my hands up and pretty much did a front flip using the top of my head as a bouncey point.

Scrapes all over, EXCEPT on my face, helmet split right down the middle and I was able to pedal the bike home.

No helmet and who knows. Doubt I'd be typing this today though.

Got a MIPS one to replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree that your argument is faulty.

I have no argument - only an opinion: anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, helmets can be expected to provide little or no protection, so it is best to cycle so as to avoid needing that protection in the first place.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling nation wrote:
helmets can be expected to provide little or no protection, so it is best to cycle so as to avoid needing that protection in the first place.

Go outside and bash your head against a rock as hard as you can, do it first with a helmet on and then without. You can't avoid crashes your whole life, eventually if you put in enough miles you will come off, even more so if you mountain bike.

While they may not offer concussion protection, your choosing between a fractured skull and a concussion or a concussion only.
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys just an update - after continued pain throughout this week just gone I decided to go back to the hospital in Malaysia where we live. I had an MRI and it turns out I've fractured my L1 in my back and hence I'm on my back for 3 week at least and it'll be 6 weeks until I can start training full time again.

Cheers and be safe,

Ed
Quote Reply

Prev Next