Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Piriformis Syndrome? Almost electric type shock sensations in right hamstring above knee
Quote | Reply
STer's - I have done the reading online and other threads, but can't seem to find anyone that has described "electric" type sensations in the hamstring area above the knee that last for 1-2 seconds and then disappear. This started happening two days ago, while sleeping, and now while sitting and trainer riding. Does not really happen all day, but in the evening and while sleeping, it occurs about every 30 min.

The key is the "electric shock" type feelings that come on instantly without warning and then goes away. Anyone ever had this? Appears similar to the Piriformis Syndrome. I just completed a Half Iron distance race last weekend and really went hard at it. I am thinking a dose of stretching and rest might help.

Any thoughts from anyone that had something similar? Or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis Syndrome? Almost electric type shock sensations in right hamstring above knee [rustynuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am wondering if there is a tightness in your glute impinging on the sciatic nerve and you're feeling it further downstream before it splits off into tibial and pereonal branches?
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis Syndrome? Almost electric type shock sensations in right hamstring above knee [rustynuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at this recent thread on sciatica to see if it helps --> http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tions%3F_P5882677-3/

I dealt with similar issues in April. I ended up having 3 sessions of PT before I finally felt some relief. I completed another 2 rounds of PT and I have had no recurrence. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis Syndrome? Almost electric type shock sensations in right hamstring above knee [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul - yes, very well could be. Never really had a problem like this before. I have recently been sitting a lot (either driving or working) for extended periods of time and this might not help the situation at all with the tightness in the glute and lower back. The "electric" shock thing is still a shocker though...never had interval pain like that which comes and goes. During riding today on the trainer, it twinged during the pull stroke of the pedaling which makes sense with what you are discussing.

I might monitor, roll out, stretch, and use a cricket or lacrosse ball for some deep tissue massaging. Possibly take it light on the w/o's this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis Syndrome? Almost electric type shock sensations in right hamstring above knee [scooter58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Scooter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shock would be closer to the glute area.
Quote Reply