Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

catching cold 10 days before 70.3, mental models, experiences?
Quote | Reply
So far I've been lucky, all my 5 longer distance races my preparation has gone well, so I guess it was bound to happen, caught a cold 12 days before the race and it turned into full blown mucus fest, so the last 5 days have been a wash...

Any experiences or advice how to approach the race, assuming this blows over in time? Take it as it comes, go for it as normal race, make it in to a training session?

It is not the biggest race of the season, but a race I've done twice previously so potentially a nice checkpoint on how the training has been going.
Quote Reply
Re: catching cold 10 days before 70.3, mental models, experiences? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the same thing leading up to Chatt last week. I ate Sudafed and Claritin D like candy and Nyquil every night, got better but not gone before the race. I stopped taking the day before, but did use Nyquil the night before so I could at least try and get some rest.

Didn't really affect me as much on race day, I didn't try to kill it since it wasn't my A race, the day after it was back some since my immune system was lower.

Try some meds, and see how you feel leading up to race day. If I wouldn't have started improving I would have had to step back and think about it.

Just my .02
Quote Reply
Re: catching cold 10 days before 70.3, mental models, experiences? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
So far I've been lucky, all my 5 longer distance races my preparation has gone well, so I guess it was bound to happen, caught a cold 12 days before the race and it turned into full blown mucus fest, so the last 5 days have been a wash...

Any experiences or advice how to approach the race, assuming this blows over in time? Take it as it comes, go for it as normal race, make it in to a training session?

It is not the biggest race of the season, but a race I've done twice previously so potentially a nice checkpoint on how the training has been going.

I would think it will pass through you and you'll be fine. Enjoy your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never underestimate a good taper

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cold should clear up before the race, but it could make the swim rough if it doesn't. The only time I have ever needed help from a kayak was when I tried to race with a cold and had a coughing fit during the swim.

A month ago, I got food poisoning 3 days before a HIM. It also poured rain during the race. I treated it as a lesson in HTFU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
totally in the same boat. we're two weeks out from Boulder 70.3 and I'm hacking up well.... it's too gross to speak about. your thread is full of great advice. we'll just rest rest rest and figure it out come race day.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Getting_sick_2_weeks_before_70.3_Boulder_P5960514/?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting a cold, if it's just a garden variety head-cold about 10-days out from a race is actually not such a bad thing. It's a bit of a forced taper. Rest. Take care of yourself. Do nothing, and you should be good-to go on race day. May even surprise yourself, and want to re-think the taper in the future ie do less, and rest up more!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: catching cold 10 days before 70.3, mental models, experiences? [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I saw the other thread as well.

I'm starting to clear out and it is still 5 days to go, will try some swimming today, did a 15min run yesterday (was not great), also biked to work as normal (45min/day). I think it will be ok.

Let me know how did it go.
Quote Reply