Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 10 to 11 conversion
Quote | Reply
I have a 2008 set of 404/808 Zipp tubulars. The hub can't be changed to accept 11 speed. What are my options if any?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sell them and buy new ones. Rims can't be rebuilt on 11sp hubs...or so I've been told.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of solutions - most can be found here on ST. What I did was getting a new 11 spd hub and then redish the wheel (need a pro to do that).

You can also find info on this on the Zipp website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set of 303's that were barely used- I had the rear rebuilt with a DT 11 speed hub.
But my wheels were like new and they were the earlier version that is much lighter than the newer ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been told by Zipp the hubs can't be rebuilt. Is that correct? What is possible cost for having them rebuilt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different hub and rebuild the wheel- but I probably wouldn't do it unless it is at least the wider version of the rim- the really old ones really don't have much value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:
I have a 2008 set of 404/808 Zipp tubulars. The hub can't be changed to accept 11 speed. What are my options if any?

As mentioned, there some options out there. Some solutions are cheap, but some, not so much.
However, one inexpensive and effective solution is this one:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Works great.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 28, 16 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is: EDCO Monoblock cassette. I put one on my 2011 404 Clinchers. It works like a charm. Just make sure you buy the "ten+eleven" locknut. Problem solved.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this the other day-- not sure how well it works as I haven't used it before:

Edco Monoblock 11 speed cassette
http://www.trisports.com/edco-monoblock-11-speed-cassette.html

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect if I were to bounce back and forth between race wheels and training wheels I would have to adjust the derailers every time using this method. Correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would depend on how you set up your training wheels. Are those 10 or 11 ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [DM67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They would be set up 11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
switch to campy hub campy cassette and i was told by a pro mech. will work fine with shimano 11. have a friend in the process of doing this now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take 10 cogs and 10 spacers from your 11 speed cassette and put it on your 10 speed hub. Now take your screwdriver and tighten the limit screws on the side closest to the spokes to remove the 11th click. Now you have a 10 cog set up on an 11 speed component system on a 8-9-10 speed width hub.

One benefit of this is when you ride "big to big" it actually works because the cross chaining effect is not that bad.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hooey on all the 10-speed mods! Why hack a 10 when you can rock an 11. Get the EDCO.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:

2 best options:

1) buy a new 11spd hub and spokes, then redish the wheel
2) buy a wheels mfg accelerator cassette (160 bucks)

a lot of ppl have recommended edco, which is too expensive. others recommend a "solution" of removing one of your cogs. i'd go with #2, which is what i did on 10spd ONLY wheels with 11spd Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
buy a wheels mfg accelerator cassette

Probably a decent solution, but it is more than double the price of an off the shelf 11 speed ultegra cassette. In any case, do you know if those are those available in 11-23 in 11 speed? I could not find any.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 29, 16 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By far the easiest and least expensive solution to this problem is to get a Campy free hub body (takes two 5mm keys and about 3 minutes to change...), a Campy 11 speed cassette and off you go. The shifting works nearly perfect between Shimano 11 and Campy 11 (to the point where you're not even noticing it).

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is possible even though Zipp told me the hub couldn't be replaced?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hubs can be replaced.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! What does Zipp mean when they tell me the wheels cannot be converted to 11 speed then? Are they providing me with false info? Obviously I've never ventured into doing this conversion before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:
Thanks! What does Zipp mean when they tell me the wheels cannot be converted to 11 speed then? Are they providing me with false info? Obviously I've never ventured into doing this conversion before.

You need to understand this diagram:

Without re dishing your wheel before adding an 11 speed free hub body, your wheel will not sit centered in your frame and will be offset, plus you MAY Have to pry your frame apart. You could compensate by adding spacers on the non drive side and pry your frame even further apart...not a great idea. You can't just remove a 10 speed free hub and attach an 11 speed free hub to a 10 speed dished wheel without the wheel sitting off to the left of the frame line if you are looking at the wheel from the back of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 10 to 11 conversion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darkspeedworks is an easy solution for most

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:

Convert to Campagnolo and get a Campy Chorus/SR 11 speed cassette, your problem is solved.

For 11 speed drive train, Campagnolo and Shimano cassette spacing and chain width are *effectively* the same and interchangeable. Disregard any other suggestions; that is by far the most effective and non-kluge solution, period.
Quote Reply