Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speakers to a computer
Quote | Reply
I have two nice ceiling mounted speakers in my lab. I'd like to connect them to a computer? How do I do that? Is there a cheap and small receiver that can connect to the two speakers and plug into the computer? The speakers do not have male plugs, currently just exposed wiring. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Speakers to a computer [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they powered speakers? The PC won't typically power anything more than the smallest speakers. If they're powered, then a 3.5mm to RCA jack or a splice could work. If not, then 3.5mm to RCA into your amp/receiver AUX should work...
Quote Reply
Re: Speakers to a computer [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These always get good reviews. It comes with a power supply, but if you have an old laptop computer supply that's even better. Then you just need an RCA to stereo mini jack cable or stereo mini jack to stereo mini jack to connect it to the headphone jack of your computer. Like this or this.
I see that one's out of stock, but they usually are restocked fairly quickly; and if not that website has loads of others.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Speakers to a computer [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
These always get good reviews. It comes with a power supply, but if you have an old laptop computer supply that's even better. Then you just need an RCA to stereo mini jack cable or stereo mini jack to stereo mini jack to connect it to the headphone jack of your computer. Like this or this.
I see that one's out of stock, but they usually are restocked fairly quickly; and if not that website has loads of others.

Amazon has it: https://www.amazon.ca/...TS9HZ7RP62FCJYNTXN16

I actually had two versions of them. I like the concept, but
- One of them died after about two years.
- The other one has a remote that works for shit.
- The design is fugly, and you can't just put it away out fo sight cuz you need the volume button
- It would be nice if the transformer was in the unit. Would reduce the cable spaghetti.

Having said that I'll probably order a new one, because it's either that or something 4x as expensive: https://www.amazon.ca/...oliid=I1EYDNWLPV6ZB7

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Speakers to a computer [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
- The design is fugly, and you can't just put it away out fo sight cuz you need the volume button
- It would be nice if the transformer was in the unit. Would reduce the cable spaghetti.
I think in the OP's application, he can just turn the volume on the amp all the way up and then control sound level from the computer if he wants to hide the amp.

Here's how the game works in the low-end market. From the amp mfgs point of view, keeping the power supply separate from the device drastically reduces the overall cost; size is much smaller, no expensive power supply components and no need for UL/CE rating. This applies to almost all consumer items, not just audio amps. Separate wall wart power supplies in the 10's of watts are a very cheap commodity and have the necessary approvals. From the reseller's point of view, the amp will work over a large range of power supply voltages and amperages. But it will only put out its rated power at the top end of that range. To keep the total price cheap, the reseller throws in a $1-2 minimal 24W power supply that 'works'. To really get the amp to sing, you want closer to 100W. A new UL/CE-certified 100W power supply is more expensive than the amp itself, but older laptop power supplies easily meet that. So buy the amp, throw away the power supply that came with it and get an old Dell power supply from your brother-in-law who hoards them. Or mine does, anyway.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Speakers to a computer [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
So buy the amp, throw away the power supply that came with it and get an old Dell power supply from your brother-in-law who hoards them. Or mine does, anyway.

Ohh. Helpful. I may know somebody (*cough*) who has some old laptop powersupplies laying about. So I just put a plug that fits the amp at the end of the powersupply cable?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Speakers to a computer [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Sometimes you get lucky and the polarity & size are good as is. If not, Radio Shack and places like that have plugs.

Brian

Quote Reply