Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S
Quote | Reply

What next?

Brace yourselves. The scary antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S. for the first time, in a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman with symptoms of a urinary tract infection.

This gene was first discovered in China last winter, then in the Netherlands and more recently in two Canadian patients. The affected bacteria were found in animals, meat samples and isolates from patients—including bloodstream. The gene confers resistance to colistin, a last-ditch antibiotic rarely used because it is so toxic. The gene has now spread to multiple countries.

http://www.forbes.com/...ective/#1a98eeca6241

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife who deals with this stuff says we first need to stop feeding farm animals tons of antibiotics.
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Wife who deals with this stuff says we first need to stop feeding farm animals tons of antibiotics.

I wholeheartedly agree that overuse of antibiotics is a bad thing however the big problem of antibiotic resistance in humans isn't stemming from our use of antibiotics in farm animals. There aren't a lot of zoonotic diseases and the ones that are, are not antibiotic-resistant as far as I know.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: May 27, 16 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you read the 3rd to last paragraph in the linked forbs article?
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

No, i clicked on it but it only shows a random quote and no article

Im currently reading some scholarly articles about it. Mixed results as usual.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: May 27, 16 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing I think when I see articles that are meant to scare, not inform, is who is after more funding.
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
The first thing I think when I see articles that are meant to scare, not inform, is who is after more funding.

Some level of cynicism may be warranted, but this eventuality has been projected for quite awhile and its implications really can get pretty dire. Sometimes when the fire alarm sounds, shit's actually burning...

(Not to mention, further evidence of evolution which the deniers continue to ignore)
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

What's wrong with the article? Did you find it scary and/or devoid of information?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
who is after more funding.

Gun and ammo manufacturers. Zombie apocalypse is coming.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim o Neil former goldman aachs has led a review on use of antibiotics for British government and I think one of the findings was over use in animals in us, India and China- simply due to their size more than anything else is a contributing factor to the rise of antibiotics resistant bacteria
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

It's great to see that you think researchers are just a bunch of greedy assholes. It's really encouraging. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help but think that perhaps this type of thing will end up being the next "thinning of the herd".

Population density is becoming more and more of a problem, both ecologically, and economically. Deep in the pit of my stomach, I think the superbugs are going to have a dramatic affect on world human population.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Doh.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always been curious about this. How about you link some of these scholarly articles. Seriously. I always wondered if antibiotics in food had an impact on us. Just like steroids in beef and 12 year old girls looking like full grown adults.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this should go some way to scaring the shit out of you

http://amr-review.org/

start with the exec summary - the stats on the use of human antibiotics in agriculture are shocking and they're used in a preventative rather than treatment manner contributing to the the current situation
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I still want to see veganerd's sources. Like seeing point counterpoint evidence.

But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Quote Reply
Re: antibiotic resistance gene, mcr-1,has been found in the U.S [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
who is after more funding.

Gun and ammo manufacturers. Zombie apocalypse is coming.
Don't forget the assless chaps manufacturers.
Quote Reply