Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powerman Training
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about the doing the 10k-60k-10k Powerman event in Michigan in the fall and I was wondering if anyone had any experience training for an event like this. Currently I am running between 30 and 35 miles per week and cycling 3 days a week aproximately 3 hours of work on my kickr. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman Training [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can talk to Erik H from our club about it. I can send you his his contact info if you'd like.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman Training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that would be great...

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your run mileage sounds ok at around 35 miles but only three days a week on the bike seems a bit lean.
What type of time commitment per day/week do you have for training?
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman Training [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A typical week of training is as follows.

Monday - 5 miles running.
Tuesday - 1 hour cycling, 3 miles running - 2 Sessions
Wednesday - 5 Miles Running
Thursday - 1 hour cycling, 3 miles running - 2 Sessions
Friday - 5 miles running.
Saturday - 10-13 Mile long run.
Sunday - 1 hour cycling.

I probably limited at this because I am getting married in October and that is taking up a bit of time. I might be able to get another day in cycling but cycling is hard because of having to drive to a safe place to cycle or else doing it on my kickr. I have done up to two hours on the kickr but that is really hard to do without going insane lol

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is you goal for the race? Do you want to try and win an age group or do you want to just finish feeling good but not destroyed?
Im not sure how long you have been training and if you do any speed work at all but Id say the following would be solid enough to get you through with your time available.
Running you have it covered, maybe throw in a one day a week 400 to 800 meter repeat day say 10 minute warmup then either 10x400 meters or 5x800 meters hard with a 10 minute cool down. Each repeat should be separated by a short jog interval.
Then possibly do a once a week tempo run of say 10 min wamup/ 25:00 at tempo effort/10 min cooldown.
If youre time limited you could really cap your long run at 8 to 10 miles and still have adequate mileage.
Sticking with three days a week on the bike you could stay with two one hour rides but adding some intensity like 15:00 warmup/ 4x6:00 hard 2:00 easy/15:00 cooldown then a "tempo" ride for the other one hour ride day of 15:00 warmup/30:00 at tempo effort/15:00 cooldown.
Your third ride for the week should be a bit longer say up to 2 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what a realistic goal might be. I strongly suspect that any type of age group podium would be out of reach because my 10k PR is around 45 (set May 2015). In term of cycling I can generally hold 20-21 miles per hour for a 40k effort and then run 5k off the bike in around 25.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10k/60k/10k is long enough to make you feel like you did something but shouldn't tear you down. Maybe a bit sore for a few days but nothing bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks... I think I will give it a try.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you can incorporate some run-bike bricks. Also good if your time is constraint. I find it much more difficult to ride off a run then to run off the bike.
Not easy to find your power with beaten up legs and due to hellish first run paces in Du's, chances are the legs will be beaten up.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done several of these. Even though the 10/60/10 duration is < doing a half, the fatigue level will be about what a half generates. It's more difficult to bike fast after running vs swimming. The second run, well, it makes the run in a half look like a cake walk.

If you're in good half shape then with a few tweaks to training you can be fast at this event.

There is a reason why most triathletes don't do the 10/60/10 and that's bc they'd rather suffer less by doing a half IM.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Powerman Training [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't swim worth anything so I am not sure whether I am in half shape. I have basically been averaging about 8-9 hours a week training for the last year training. My mix of training is about 2/3 running (5-6 hours) 1/3 (3 hours) cycling. I am averaging about 30-35 miles a week. I am basically at my top end of training time, I might be able to eek out maybe another hour of cycling but I am not sure. I just want to make sure I am not biting off more than I can chew because Powerman has a shorter event 5-30-5 which I am confident of my training for.

Thanks for the information.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my opinion based on little information...ride more...a LOT more. You have to be ready to ride after what is typically a very difficult opening run (fast) and then be ready to run again after the bike. To do that reasonably well, you really need a strong cycling foundation or else you are going to have to go very slow on bike leg or risk a walk fest on the final run.

Assuming you cannot spend any more time than you currently are, I would reduce the run hours to 4 and give the other 2 hours to cycling. When you reduce the run hours, keep one long run but reduce the other runs and add more intensity (injury risk...be careful).
Quote Reply