Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The World’s Biggest Public Companies
Quote | Reply

Is it a good thing or bad thing when most of the top 10 companies are banks?

http://www.forbes.com/...al2000/#/tab:overall

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: The World’s Biggest Public Companies [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

http://www.forbes.com/...al2000/#/tab:overall[/quote]

Good, bad or does it even matter?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: The World’s Biggest Public Companies [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it would be better if there were more manufacturing companies in the top 10. Banks make money when they lend of course. So the question is are those banks practicing smart lending practices? The low interest rates have European banks faring worse than American banks worldwide so if they start to totter the entire system could take a hit. I am certainly not a banking industry expert but I am sure somewhere here is and could explain that market a lot better than myself.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I thought it would be better if there were more manufacturing companies in the top 10. Banks make money when they lend of course. So the question is are those banks practicing smart lending practices? The low interest rates have European banks faring worse than American banks worldwide so if they start to totter the entire system could take a hit. I am certainly not a banking industry expert but I am sure somewhere here is and could explain that market a lot better than myself.

Well, the article did say that the top 3 spots were held by Chinese banks........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the four factors they used is total assets. Banks have huge balance sheets, so that will bury most non-bank companies in that factor.

For example, Wells Fargo is listed at #7 and Apple is listed at #8. Apple is #1 in the world in market value and profit, and its is a top-ten company (#8) in sales. However, it has a small balance sheet relative to the others on this list (#99). Thus, it ranks behind Wells Fargo, which has a balance sheet that is six times bigger.

I think a person has to decide what his or her opinion is on the criteria they used to rank the companies before using their rankings for any type of discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Other then what has already been posted about what the criteria used to rank them comes into play, for the most part I'd say it's not so good. Companies across the board are more about finances then production. Take a look at CEO's of companies, how many know how to make the product of their company or anything about better products versus knowing a whole lot about money, financing and making money off money? The answer is, there are few of those CEO's left.

Obviously if the ranking criteria includes balance sheets banks are going to rank high. However I'd also bet that there are a HUGE portion of the top companies that have financial balance sheets that look a whole lot like a banks in many ways. I think this is radically different and not in a good way then it was 50 years ago.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: The World’s Biggest Public Companies [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
However I'd also bet that there are a HUGE portion of the top companies that have financial balance sheets that look a whole lot like a banks in many ways. I think this is radically different and not in a good way then it was 50 years ago.

You have the same list from 50 years ago?
Quote Reply