Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike recs for xc racing/xterra
Quote | Reply
I raced cyclocross last fall and definitely caught the non-pavement bug. Looking to get a full suspension 29er for some xterra and xc racing. I'm in New England, and after riding my cx bike on trails, I'm certain I want full suspension.

It doesn't seem like there are too many solid 'budget' options. Looking at entry level aluminum fs xc bikes (specialized epic, trek profuel, giant anthem, scott spark), it seems like they all fall around $2500+. Are those bikes 'race-able'? They all seem like they're close to 30lbs. Going to carbon and higher end, lighter bike, seems to jump to $4k+ pretty quickly.

What are people riding and what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Quote | Reply
I picked up a Giant Anthem Advanced 29er off eBay that was a demo from a shop... HUGE savings, paid $2600 for $4700 bike that had only been used a handful of times. See whats out there from demo shops, much better option for higher end bike IMHO compared to buying new.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Bike recs for xc racing/xterra [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're going to get a lot of variations on what's best in responses here...but as far as my two cents goes:

1) I'd probably get a hardtail as my first "race" mountain bike. I did this and don't regret it one bit, even though both of my mountain bikes are now are full suspension carbon bikes. I think you learn better due to less forgiveness, and you can get a LOT more bike for your dollar in terms of weight/components than you can with FS.

2) See #1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like any bike, I would recommend starting with a carbon frame and upgrading the components as you further catch the MTB bug, which you will. I don't know which stock builds have carbon frames and low end components, but as always, it's much harder to upgrade the frame. Components for mountain biking are super cheap--a full new Shimano XT 1x group goes for <$500 (the ultegra equivalent)--except for the carbon wheels and high end suspension forks, which are always pricey if you want to buy new.

Also like any bike, you can find ridiculous deals on basically new bikes (or very slightly used). For about $1600, I just sold a Cube Reaction full carbon hardtail 29er that I got from Chain Reaction on steep discount at $2k and then put over $1k into upgrading it (1x drivetrain, new SID XX fork, wide range cassette, etc.). I rode it literally half a dozen times and then only got the $1600 after it sat on pinkbike for months. Cube doesn't exactly have a brand following here in the U.S., which was part of the problem...

Of course, if you are looking to support your LBS and pay full retail, you'll pay more than double for the same quality ride.

In general, for XC/Xterra racing, look for frames that support a geometry with a 100mm or 120mm front suspension fork. I started with a Giant Anthem 27.5 carbon frame (it was $2500 retail) and built from there, but you may not want the hassle or time investment for all that. The Scott Spark is probably the best mountain bike I have owned...it's super light and very fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Cannondale Scalpel.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with a scott spark 960. It was heavy with mediocre suspension, but I loved it and it got me hooked. If you go with a 950/950 (or the 7xx for 27.5 wheels), you'll probably be happier. Great bike in general though. I upgraded recently to a Scale 940, and wish id been riding it all my life.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike recs for xc racing/xterra [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was getting back into Xterra I would be looking at the Scott Scale 7xx series or the Trek Superfly series.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the scalpel and the epic seemed to be the two most popular 29" FS bikes in texas when I was racing there. I have an epic and can confirm it's really a nice bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I raced my first X-Terra in over 10 yrs last September in Fruita, CO. I rode my 8 yr old Fisher Caliber 29er Full-Sus. Although nothing special, it was more than adequate. It wasn't a super technical course with a couple short uphills.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Bike recs for xc racing/xterra [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't know about pinkbike until you mentioned it. Cool site, and looks like there's some potentially good deals on there.

Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't know about pinkbike until you mentioned it. Cool site, and looks like there's some potentially good deals on there.

No problem.

Less for full bikes and more for accessories/components, join the facebook group MTB Swap Meet. I've also had good turnover there both buying and selling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also use "SearchTempest" to search Craigs list ads across the country.

Get a full suspension bike, it'll help a lot in New England. A hardtail is better on the right terrain, but roots and rocks are not it. You'll have more fun.

You have three options
1. Get a nice bike, new, a bite the bullet now assuming you're really going to like this sport
2. Get a nice bike, Used, spend less now. Maybe get a little less time before things wear.
3. Get a lower level bike. Enjoy it. Thrash it. Learn on it. Sell it and buy something else in a year or two.

I've never heard anyone complain about buying too nice of a bike...

Personally, I ride an Epic world Cup. Its great. (In all honesty, the suspension is there to help the bike go faster, not to feel more comfortable) There are plenty of other great bikes out there. Get on them. Ride them. See which speaks to you.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#2, #3 and #12 were great replies.

Your ability to ride/handle a mountain bike has way more to do with how fast it will be than how many stars some reviewer (depending on advertising $$) gave it. Don't get hung up on the brand/model until your skills are pretty refined. Nice call on full suspension. FS is going to be faster for most people, but the cost and maintenance are way higher. Suspension is also tricky and can require quite a bit of tinkering to get right. Be prepared to do twice the tinkering and maintenance that you would for a CX bike.

Trying to find a lightly used FS 29" XC bike from the last few years is your best bet. Anything nice and recent should be 10 speed and you can easily drop down to a single ring in front for simplicity and weight savings. 10 speed Shimano SLX is like the 105 of the mt bike world where it works great without draining your wallet.

Mountain bikes are an area where I absolutely disagree with the idea of buying a nice frame and upgrading it as you go along. The "standards" seem to change every other year, especially for hubs/wheels. It's hard to find a high end wheel from 2-3 years ago that fits in the high end bikes being sold today.

Edit: +1 on the Pinkbike recommendations. They have a lot of good tech articles on maintenance, suspension setup and tire pressure.
Last edited by: dangle: May 27, 16 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of great points made in this forum. I started XC racing a little over two years ago and did my first Xterra last season. I rode an aluminum Epic Comp in the beginning and had immediate success (won my 2nd race ever). The Epic was by far the most enjoyable bike to ride. The problem is, it is heavy. 27.5 lbs. I wanted to move to Cat 1 XC racing the next year, so I decided to upgrade to a carbon fiber Stumpjumper hardtail. It was weird going from a full suspension back to a hard tail, but I couldn't argue with the weight savings! I had success in Cat 1 XC racing and Xterra racing on this bike. If you can get yourself on a cycling team, they usually offer pretty decent bike discounts.

I don't know what the trails are like out there, but I would say get a bike based on the type of racing you plan on doing. Hardtail for lots of climbing or a full suspension for more flatter, but rougher terrain. Either way you won't go wrong, just make sure to shell out the cash for a carbon fiber full suspension bike instead of an aluminum model if you go that route. You will grow out of the aluminum bike quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used a FS carbon 26 wheel Felt Edict for 2 seasons and found that a) i enjoyed the suspension in our rooty trails here in western NY and b) that the thing is an expensive trophy wife in terms of upkeep. I'm doing most of my riding on a steel 26 in single speed bike now and might use the FS just for racing or might sell it.

The big expenses for me:

1) Carbon cracks in slow speed impacts with rocks or stuff in the woods and it's easy to break these frames. They can be repaired, but I have broken mine 2x so far and it gets expensive

2) The suspension bushings seem to wear quickly in muddy conditions. The are not overly difficult to repair, but now that my bike is "obsolete" i wonder how long I'll be able to find them

3) The rear shock needs to be serviced, every year they say, so add that to the budget

Lot of people do very well or win against geared bikes on single speed rigid 29er aluminum bikes around here, wide open stuff is where you get eaten up by people with gears though. For racing I'd be looking at something like a hardtail aluminum frame with about 100m of travel
Last edited by: jroden: May 28, 16 3:59
Quote Reply